Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #31
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
My pick is Cold Days - The Dresden Files (Book #14) by Jim Butcher! Its due out in November & I've already pre-ordered the Kindle version.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #32
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
By month seems a bit random to me. Aren't there any "official" start dates. I have tried looking it up and am not much clearer. And HarryT seems to disagree with you about the Solstice thing, making me feel a little less stupid...
It all depends on who you ask. Yes, the solstices are used by some, but other use the months as I stated (at least for the northern hemisphere), and others would even say that winter was November, December, January (which have the shortest days).

And some would say that it doesn't matter what the season is, the weather will be horrible:

January brings the snow,
Makes your feet and fingers glow.

February's ice and sleet,
Freeze the toes right off your feet.

Welcome, March, with wint'ry wind,
Would thou weren't not so unkind.

April brings the sweet spring showers,
On and on for hours and hours.

Farmers fear unkindly May,
Frost by night and hail by day.

June just rains and never stops,
Thirty days and spoils the crops.

In July the sun is hot,
"Is it shining?" "No it's not!"

August, cold and dank and wet,
Brings more rain than any yet.

Bleak September's mist and mud,
Is enough to chill the blood.

Then October adds a gale,
Wind and slush and rain and hail.

Dark November brings the fog,
Should not do it to a dog.

Freezing wet December, then...
Bloody January again!

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-30-2012 at 08:00 AM.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #33
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And some would say that it doesn't matter what the season is, the weather will be horrible

Amen to that. We should be redefining Summer in the UK to "which week will it be this year?".

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-30-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: fixed typo in quotation, as I'm also fixing the original
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #34
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I'm pretty sure solstices and equinoxes are officially used as the start dates of the seasons here.

That said, while I don't think I'd go as far as to say I'm dying to read it, JK Rowling's The Casual Vacancy is probably the not-yet-released book I'm looking forward to the most, now that my most anticipated release of the year (Derek Landy's Skulduggery Pleasant: Kingdom of the Wicked) is officially out today (so it wouldn't really count as a fall book anyway...).

Other fall books I've either pre-ordered or definitely plan to get include Neal Shusterman's Unwholly, Rick Riordan's The Mark of Athena, Ann Aguirre's Outpost and Mike Mullin's Ashen Winter - so apart from Rowling's new book, which I'm mostly just really curious about (and the description also sounds like it's something that I might enjoy), all the rest are new releases in YA series I'm already familiar with.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yeah I was wondering about the "dying" part, since we seem to have gotten so anal about the seasons. (I blame Jon. )
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Not by me!
You have to bear in mind that I'm a (former) astronomer, and astronomers define seasons by the equinoxes and solstices (that way they work for any planet).

The UK Met Office, on the other hand, follow your view and start the seasons on the 1st of March, June, September, December.

Either way, it's just a convention.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #37
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Don't we have any Australians on here who want to pipe up about how far away Fall is and/or how unjust to Australians this thread is?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Don't we have any Australians on here who want to pipe up about how far away Fall is and/or how unjust to Australians this thread is?

eP
It's not unjust at all. Australians are perfectly free to write about the books they're looking forward to in March.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #39
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Amen to that. We should be redefining Summer in the UK to "which week will it be this year?".
You got a whole week!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
You got a whole week!
I was on a walking holiday on the South Downs last week. Beautiful weather all week!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #41
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
The Last Man - Vince Flynn. Another entry in the excellent Mitch Rapp series, and a return to present day happenings after a few prequels.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #42
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I like Vince Flynn but I am not willing to pay that price for his books, no one is worth that much.

At the moment David Weber's Fire Season.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #43
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I like Vince Flynn but I am not willing to pay that price for his books, no one is worth that much.
Simon & Schuster is one of the settling publishers. Assuming the settlement is accepted, I'd guess that particular Vince Flynn title will be considerably less than $14.99 by November 13th.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Simon & Schuster is one of the settling publishers. Assuming the settlement is accepted, I'd guess that particular Vince Flynn title will be considerably less than $14.99 by November 13th.
It's a new hardback. The eBook price will fall when it's released in paperback.

At $14.99 it's already half the list price of the hardback.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #45
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I have no qualms with $14.99. I paid that much for Kill Shot and it was worth every penny.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote