Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #61
cykelmyggen
cykelmyggen doesn't littercykelmyggen doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Problem for me is that some of my favorite authors is available only in US.

I did all the workarounds mentioned in this thread, and for a while it worked out fine. I've managed to buy a couple of my favorite authors and grab a few interesting freebies (I really can do without the freebies, and I'm willing to pay for my favorites..) before they shot the door, telling me there was a problem: "please contact us or change your country to complete your purchase.
You attempted to purchase an item while in a different country than listed on your Amazon account.
Are you traveling outside your country?"

My Kindle is of cause set to my US address.

My US address is just a random address found on the net. Don't know if it'll change anything to get af Jetcarrier address?

Looks like they are doing some kind of filtering either on credit card, address checks or IP

Any one else who has had similar experiences?
cykelmyggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #62
PBRstreetgang
PBRstreetgang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
cykelmyggen,

I think you're right. I believe they're screening credit card addresses and cross-referencing to make sure that the locations are in sync.
PBRstreetgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #63
thedane9
thedane9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and iPad
Amazon is now awake

@cykelmyggen

I just experienced exactly the same.

Changed backed to my normal non-us account which works as usual - fortunately.

Anyone who has experience how to deal with the customer service situation?

regards

Michael, DK
thedane9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:57 AM   #64
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
We're limited in DK in many ways

Hi All Vikings
Have the same problems.
Don't have a CreditCard with US adress; If you do, then change of adress/country on amazon.com combined with a VPN service to give you an US IP might work. Don't know for sure as I don't have US CC.
I'm angry myself as I can't buy the books I want - so the US Publishers actually forces me to resort to the "Darknet" !
Other than that the prices wary a lot between US customers and DK customers forced to shop in the US store.
I can live with that - I CAN'T live with the limitations on book I'm allowed to buy. I think it's the publishers and not Amazon that's the problem.
Cheers,
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:04 AM   #65
thedane9
thedane9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and iPad
My US account works again

Hi all

Yesterday I experienced that out got the customer service message from Amazon, that did not make it possible to use my US account.

Today it works again.

It seems that Amazon is not checking either IP or your credit card. What they are doing is monitoring behavior on the Amazon site.

I was closed out yesterday after downloading around 10 books that normally would not have been available with my European account.

As mentioned today everything is again available with my US account. I will now limit my download to avoid if Amazon is also monitoring weekly patterns.

So go ahead. Setup up an alternative US address in your Kindle Management area, and you can get everything.

regards

Michael, DK
thedane9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 01:25 PM   #66
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I live in Canada. I have a US mailbox and a US credit card (PayPal, actually). But that US mailbox is in Washington state, where Amazon charges sales tax. So I also use my Aunt's address in Nevada (no sales tax).
I have ordered books, both free and paid, to both US addresses. (The credit card is the Washington state address.)
I have charged against both US and Canadian cc's. Amazon does NOT care.
They _do_ periodically warn me that ordering subscriptions sent to my Kindle via WhisperNet while I'm in Canada (which is pretty much 99% of the time) will result in charges. But I can order books via WhisperNet with absolutely no issues whatsoever.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #67
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Living in WA State, I pay sales taxes, too. Maybe I should change my address to out of state (not that my state can afford less money these days).
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #68
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
You don't need a proxy for Amazon. Neither on your PC, nor on your Kindle.
B&N on the other hand checks IPs.
Hmmm. Not sure about B&N. I live outside the U.S., and have used B&N to purchase books not available in Canada. I just registered with my Canadian credit card, and entered a U.S. address. I have done this for months. Of course, then I have to do the conversion to mobi.

I have also changed by Amazon address to a U.S. address -- recently I did it to purchase Scrabble. I then changed the address back, because I don't want to have any problems with Amazon. They have been quite good to me, overall, and they have by far the best selection of books. So now, when there is a book only available to U.S. accounts, I use B&N. I do the same with Sony.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #69
Sciamano
Sciamano began at the beginning.

I've just received the dreadful email, apparently because I tried to "buy" (it's actually free, right now) "Hitler's Pre-Emptive War: The Battle for Norway, 1940 [Kindle Edition]".
And I don't even have the Kindle yet!
Sciamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #70
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciamano View Post
And I don't even have the Kindle yet!
Have you bought one? People who have never purchased a kindle but use the free apps often get those emails very quickly.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:33 AM   #71
Sciamano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Have you bought one? People who have never purchased a kindle but use the free apps often get those emails very quickly.
I've ordered one two days ago, it shipped yesterday (at the same time as the email I received, apparently).
In the meanwhile I've bought a few games that are on sale until 3/27, but the 'culprit' seems to be the book about Hitler's Norway campaign.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #72
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I live in Canada. I have a US mailbox and a US credit card (PayPal, actually). But that US mailbox is in Washington state, where Amazon charges sales tax. So I also use my Aunt's address in Nevada (no sales tax).
I have ordered books, both free and paid, to both US addresses. (The credit card is the Washington state address.)
I have charged against both US and Canadian cc's. Amazon does NOT care.
They _do_ periodically warn me that ordering subscriptions sent to my Kindle via WhisperNet while I'm in Canada (which is pretty much 99% of the time) will result in charges. But I can order books via WhisperNet with absolutely no issues whatsoever.
This sounds like what I want to do. I live in Canada and have an amazon.com account (and kindle for PC and a few other platforms) with a US address (a UPS store near the border where I occasionally receive packages). I got one of those emails asking to verify my address once...but I ignored it and it went away.

I'm thinking of buying a kindle 3 and linking it to my US address account. I wonder if using whispersync on 3G from Canada would precipitate an email (or worse).

Can one still browse the web on 3G in countries outside of the US (such as Canada)?
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #73
Sciamano

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
I'm thinking of buying a kindle 3 and linking it to my US address account. I wonder if using whispersync on 3G from Canada would precipitate an email (or worse).

Can one still browse the web on 3G in countries outside of the US (such as Canada)?
I have an International Kindle 3G (S/N: B00A..) registered in the US but I live in Italy. After I received the aforementioned email, I started using a VPN service that makes me have an IP Address in the US. I've bought lots of books since then, and I've never received any complaint anymore.
I guess they check IP addresses when you buy books.

And I can browse the web freely and completely, although I don't do it much, but I use Whispersync 3G to download books on the kindle (I'm lazy!) and it works flawlessly.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:16 AM   #74
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciamano View Post
I guess they check IP addresses when you buy books.
I don't think they do, I have never used a VPN and have downloaded hundreds of books and no email..
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #75
Sciamano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I don't think they do, I have never used a VPN and have downloaded hundreds of books and no email..
Then I guess it's just pure luck.