Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #16
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
I'm another Kobo user running the beta Linux version of the Kobo app. Never installed the A&R version.

Will this work for us? Or could we, as mentioned above, use an SD card to apply the update?

Thanks for all your hard work and for keeping us updated!
For the linux guys, I'll have to get you the v1.4 of the desktop application to install over your current install. This will grab the USB firmware update for you (I think, I will verify as soon as we ship this thing, we will find a way for you guys, don't worry).

RE: SD card, it will be a by-request service, but those of you who are more technically savvy will be able to flash the device using an SD card. However, we can't target this update to avoid the users partition, you will lose all your stuff if you use the SD card method.

The USB method however will preserve your files / bookmarks / books.

@mememe - No, we have separated from the mother ship and occupy our own office space just east of Richmond / Spadina.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #17
Jestocost
Jestocost began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks Sameer, that's good to know. Looking forward to the new firmware.
Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #18
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
Can those of us willing to try the SD card method get the update now then?

Since it seems like the tie up is in the desktop software not the firmware.

I understand that everything on the device will be lost.
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #19
jamesd
jamesd began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
For the linux guys, I'll have to get you the v1.4 of the desktop application to install over your current install. This will grab the USB firmware update for you (I think, I will verify as soon as we ship this thing, we will find a way for you guys, don't worry).

RE: SD card, it will be a by-request service, but those of you who are more technically savvy will be able to flash the device using an SD card. However, we can't target this update to avoid the users partition, you will lose all your stuff if you use the SD card method.

The USB method however will preserve your files / bookmarks / books.

@mememe - No, we have separated from the mother ship and occupy our own office space just east of Richmond / Spadina.
Can I put my SD update request in now? alien converted the Linux deb package to rpm fine enough, but it had a library dependency issue in Fedora 12 so I cannot use it. I would be grateful if a Fedora 13 x86_64 RPM was released!
jamesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:28 AM   #20
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

I know I'm a bit late in the thread, but might be worthy.
Since kobo people decided to use desktop applications to
upgrade the firmware, linux|bsd tribes are not that happy
with the approach. SD card method sounds fine, if no other
way available. Let me depict the way I upgraded firmware
on my cowon music player:
It took unzipping the container, unrelated to operating
system in use. First step was to mount the cowon on the
usb cable and copy first file to the root directory of the
device. Unmounting and disconnecting cowon. Setting the
device on. Then shutting it down, connecting again and
doing the same two more times. Nothing to get headache.
After 3 steps, I got new firmware, on bsd node.
One thing could be on my behalf. I'm waiting the device
scheduled in states for July the 2nd. I assume it will run
version 1.4. Or not?
Best regards all!
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #21
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post

Even closer.

Next time I have a Kobo question, I'll just lean out the window and yell, "Hey! Sameer!" Be ready, because I get confused often.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #22
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mememememe View Post
Even closer.

Next time I have a Kobo question, I'll just lean out the window and yell, "Hey! Sameer!" Be ready, because I get confused often.
I might try this too , however since I live in Australia I'm pretty sure I'll just get weird stares from passers-by.

A quick question though, is the firmware release going to be a beta or the "real thing"?
Katdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #23
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katdragon View Post
I might try this too , however since I live in Australia I'm pretty sure I'll just get weird stares from passers-by.

A quick question though, is the firmware release going to be a beta or the "real thing"?
The real thing. It will just be rolled out on a controlled basis.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #24
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Hey Sameer, any chance those of us willing to go down the SD card path, have the firmware now?

Cheers,
Bismar
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #25
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismar View Post
Hey Sameer, any chance those of us willing to go down the SD card path, have the firmware now?

Cheers,
Bismar
Hi Bismar, I originally thought this would be an option and would love to get you up and running, but we're concerned it adds to the upgrade channels we have to support and at this time that's a tough sell

However, I'll see if I can get an advanced version of the desktop application that will grab you an over-the-USB update.

Sameer.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #26
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I too would be interested in an updated version of the Linux app. My Kobo will be arriving by the end of the week and I can't wait to fire it up.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #27
SameerH
Product Manager

I should have been keeping a list of everyone we sent the linux app to, but I didn't. :P

Email me shasan at kobobooks dot com if you want the latest linux app. We'll forward as soon as we have a build ready for you guys.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #28
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

So I take it there is no beta rollout as was previously talked about? Just wondering, as every few hours I'm launching the Kobo desktop to see if it does anything.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #29
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
So it's out (or at least, coming soon ):

http://blog.kobobooks.com/2010/06/30...mware-upgrade/
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #30
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
So I take it there is no beta rollout as was previously talked about? Just wondering, as every few hours I'm launching the Kobo desktop to see if it does anything.
Not exactly, beta may not have been the right word for it. Michael's post linked above (and below in the quote) explains the rollout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
So it's out (or at least, coming soon ):

http://blog.kobobooks.com/2010/06/30...mware-upgrade/
YES! It's almost out!