Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-16-2006, 10:25 AM   #16
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
the terminal answers my question "whoami" with "root"
Horray!

Now, for a debricking function...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #17
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@scotty1024

Maybe we could set up a "debricking jackpot" where users could donate some money. If one of you devs bricks the Iliad, all or at least part of the reflashing cost could be covered from that jackpot.
Maybe I should put up a poll about this...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2006, 10:48 AM   #18
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

With this development would it still be best to keep 2.7.0 or upgrade to 2.7.1? I take right now it would be best to just wait a little bit.

If and when I do upgrade, do I have to remove the shell hack and how would I do that if necessary?

Thanx all - you guys are great!
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:55 AM   #19
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
We should try to hide all files from the user, but the ones that are to be run. Otherwise it will get messy soon.

Would it be enough, to put the application in a .folder and just modify the run script outside that folder?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #20
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
OK, time to give up a bit of fun I had planned for Sylpheed-Claws...

ContentLister supports all the trimmings with the [SHELL] hack.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>                                          
<package>                                                                       
<metadata><dc-metadata><Title>emacs</Title>                                     
<Description/><Date>2006-10-16T08:28:46</Date>                                  
<Format/><Identifier/><Language/><Type/></dc-metadata><y-metadata>              
<startpage>run.sh</startpage>                                                   
<image>emacs.jpg</image>                                                        
<version>000</version></y-metadata></metadata>                                  
</package>
The above is my manifest.xml for the native emacs I use on my iLiad. Not only can you hide everything, you can have a picture/description etc...

Have fun!
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2006, 07:53 AM   #21
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
Time

I contacted iRex yesterday using the web-form and I didn't receive any reaction yet.
Could somebody who successfully installed the magic patch of freedom on his/her iLiad please tell me how long iRex took to react, whether it seemed to be an automated process and which means they chose to contact you?

I don't want to bother them before the time but I'm even _very_ impatient.

#!chris
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:00 AM   #22
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
it took a few hours in my case...Matthijs said that he's doing it by hand and in batches...so it could take a while.
I received an email that told me the update was ready, but tribble (if I remember correctly) got his update before the email...:-)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:42 AM   #23
k2r
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Matthijs said that he's doing it by hand and in batches...
So I'm convinced that the delay means that Matijs is working hard improving the iLiad and still cross my fingers that my update arrives for the weekend :-)
Old 11-17-2006, 09:00 AM   #24
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
The above is my manifest.xml for the native emacs I use on my iLiad. Not only can you hide everything, you can have a picture/description etc...
Nice idea - a more professional look now.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:29 PM   #25
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
<image>emacs.jpg</image>

If you take a picture, send it to RMS.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #26
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I guess he would get a kick out of it at that.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #27
k2r
Zealot

Quote:
But don't mention the situation with iLiad and the sourcecode. RMS would be (rightly) annoyed.
(note to self: if you release your GPL-based-product earlier than expected make sure that the sourcecode is in releasable shape, too.)
Old 11-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #28
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Quote:

He still uses his non graphical version of Emacs. I tryed to convince him into a Libretto, not fortunate. And he is definitely not a hardware guy . When I told him that about his history on the printer problems, it should be concluded the need for open hardware too, he told me I was an agitator or "provocateur".

Last edited by arivero; 11-17-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #29
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r
note to self: if you release your GPL-based-product earlier than expected make sure that the sourcecode is in releasable shape, too.
Particularly, hope you are not a spin-off of a big industry has have provided you with a magic USB chip with a propietary driver working only in linux 2.4.x (The chip is great, it does USB both ways, so you can be master and slave of the bus at the same time. )

Then hope do you not get a flash memory chip with is famously one of the better ones of the market but, guess what? It depends on a propietary driver for some of their anti-wearing features, and the existing linux driver probably gets a poorer performance.

And finally hope you have not decided to work with the most advanced screen technology in the market, geting involved in a lot of red tape papers of patent rights and agreements where you do not know even if you can release info about it.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #30
k2r
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
provided you with a magic USB chip with a propietary driver working only in linux 2.4.x
D'oh, that's a stupid situation!
Quote:
flash memory chip [...] depends on a propietary driver for some of their anti-wearing features
My brain hurts!
Quote:
And finally hope you have not decided to work with the most advanced screen technology in the market, geting involved in a lot of red tape papers of patent rights and agreements where you do not know even if you can release info about it.
Uh, you mean the patriot act of all NDAs ?-)
Poor guys (and gals), us an them...

And this children is another good example how making something proprietary and keeping the sourcecode locked away instead of releasing it under GPL is lightspeeding innovation.