Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 03:27 AM   #1
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Sony Reader Daily Edition starts shipping, gets more newspapers

Via Engadget:

Quote:
it looks like it's managed to get the first ones out the door on the early end of its December 18th to January 8th estimate, with the initial batch of pre-orders shipping today.
an additional 16 publications that will be offering wirelessly-delivered subscriptions on the Daily Edition, including The New York Times, The Dallas Morning News, The Baltimore Sun, and The Denver Post.
Related: PRS-900 release date

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 12-22-2009 at 06:45 AM.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Press release:

Quote:
SONY’S READER DAILY EDITION NOW SHIPPING

SAN DIEGO – December 21, 2009 – Delivering on its goal of getting the newest edition of its Reader family into customers’ hands for the holidays, Sony today announced the Reader Daily Edition™ is now shipping. Pre-orders placed on SonyStyle.com through December 20 should begin arriving to customers within the next 48 hours.

The Reader Daily Edition has garnered intense interest since its unveiling earlier this year, with pre-orders exceeding expectations. The device gives consumers wireless access to Sony’s Reader™ Store from most of the U.S., via AT&T’s 3G mobile broadband network. Book lovers can browse, purchase and download books as well as select newspapers on the go. There are no monthly fees or transaction charges for the basic wireless connectivity and users still have the option to side load personal documents or content from other compatible sites via USB.

The Reader Daily Edition is optimized for newspapers and offers periodical content in an elegant, easy-to-read format. The Reader Daily Edition’s responsive, menu-driven, seven-inch touch screen lets readers quickly and intuitively navigate newspapers, turn pages, highlight text and take notes with the swipe of a finger or by using the included stylus pen.

The following newspapers are currently available for wireless delivery to the Reader: The Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Los Angeles Times and Chicago Tribune. Sony has agreements in place with a host of additional magazine and newspaper publishers, including exclusive offerings from The Wall Street Journal and New York Post, that will be available soon.

Key Facts

· The new Reader Daily Edition is now shipping and pre-orders placed on SonyStyle.com through December 20 should begin arriving to customers’ homes before Christmas.

· The Reader Daily Edition provides wireless access to Sony’s Reader Store from most of the U.S.

· Wireless access is provided by AT&T’s 3G mobile broadband network.

· The Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Los Angeles Times and Chicago Tribune are currently available on the Reader Daily Edition.

· Sony has agreements in place with a host of additional magazine and newspaper publishers that will be available soon

· The Reader Daily Edition’s seven-inch wide, full touch screen display provides intuitive navigation and comfortable layout of content, including newspapers and magazines, in portrait or landscape orientation.

For more details on the Reader Daily Edition please visit sonystyle.com; Sony’s online destination for book lovers - wordsmoveme.com; or the Sony Electronics Community, which includes a corporate blog, video, photos, polls and profiles.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Awesome, I can't wait to read the reviews!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
intelchiq
intelchiq began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
This made my Christmas!!!
intelchiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Only thing is the newspaper subscriptions seem kinda pricy to me.. $15 month -- that's almost $200/year.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Only thing is the newspaper subscriptions seem kinda pricy to me.. $15 month -- that's almost $200/year.
Pricey indeed. I'm getting them for free using Calibre.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Pricey indeed. I'm getting them for free using Calibre.
Dave, are you getting the daily newspaper or something else? What I want, and don't consider $15/month pricey for, is an electronic replication of my p newspaper that I get delivered every morning. I know that some people are happy with the constant updating of news stories and condensed articles, but I want my e New York Times to be identical to my p New York Times. I will say this, too: I currently pay $46 a month for daily delivery of the New York Times so $15 a month would be a significant savings for me.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
D.. I want my e New York Times to be identical to my p New York Times. I will say this, too: I currently pay $46 a month for daily delivery of the New York Times so $15 a month would be a significant savings for me.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Dave, are you getting the daily newspaper or something else? What I want, and don't consider $15/month pricey for, is an electronic replication of my p newspaper that I get delivered every morning. I know that some people are happy with the constant updating of news stories and condensed articles, but I want my e New York Times to be identical to my p New York Times. I will say this, too: I currently pay $46 a month for daily delivery of the New York Times so $15 a month would be a significant savings for me.
Nope, you're correct. I'm getting a condensed version using the so called recipe. But I don't think that $15 is going to get you the print version, word for word. I think (just that), that while you may get more than what is available on the site, it makes no sense for them to be offering an exact duplicate of the print version.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
Gameboy213
Connoisseur
Gameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2 , Kindle Oasis 2018
I get them from Calibre as well but it is just a few articles really. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy it but it is far from the full paper.

I am looking for the PressDisplay application which I use on my Mac and Blackberry to be put on a device (Rex has it I think). That is what I want. FULL articles.

If the sony news offering will be like the kindle I would never pay $15 a month for it.
Gameboy213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameboy213 View Post
I get them from Calibre as well but it is just a few articles really. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy it but it is far from the full paper.

I am looking for the PressDisplay application which I use on my Mac and Blackberry to be put on a device (Rex has it I think). That is what I want. FULL articles.

If the sony news offering will be like the kindle I would never pay $15 a month for it.
I did a quick one-shot comparison of The Atlantic from Amazon and from Calibre and there was very little difference that I found.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
But I don't think that $15 is going to get you the print version, word for word. I think (just that), that while you may get more than what is available on the site, it makes no sense for them to be offering an exact duplicate of the print version.
There are a couple of newspaper/magazine services like NewspapersDirect that supposedly give you PDF versions of the daily paper but for your specific reader. That's what I am hoping the 900 will make available.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
Gameboy213
Connoisseur
Gameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2 , Kindle Oasis 2018
Press Display.com has a great viewer and the reader on the Mac/Pc is fantastic. It is the FULL paper, classifieds, ads, everything.

I have heard they are trying to develop it for the popular readers, Sony and Kindle I assume, but there are so many now who knows.

I just purchased the LA Times via the Ebook Store and it is pretty good actually. A nice mix of more than Calibre (nicer layout for sure) and less than PressDisplay.
Gameboy213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #15
kennyc

Thanks Gameboy213. I was particularly interested in the added newspapers since they added The Denver Post. I currently get the weekend delivered edition.