Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast
fuzzy_dunlop began at the beginning.

Device: none
B&N Reader Nook not available internationally, options?

It looks like the big disappointment coming out of the Nook launch is no international release or support. Since I think the Nook most closely matches the ebook reader I've been looking for but I don't live in the US, anybody care to discuss options?

1. Just order one anyway but lose out on discounted ebooks from B&N
2. Order one and find a way to circumvent region restrictions
3. Order one and use other companies stores, particularly Google Digital Editions looks promising
4. Lobby B&N to start selling internationally, ipetitions.com here I come

Any other ideas?

P.S. Doesn't it seem like a particular letdown that one day after the Kindle International Edition was launched they decided not to release Nook internationally?

[To Admin: I know this shouldn't go in news, but doesn't seem to be a Nook forum yet]
fuzzy_dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Setting up international rights & data agreements is not easy. B&N only launched their store a few months ago.

Kindle or a locally available option are your only choices. Or just wait an utterly unknown amount of time until B&N goes international.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Cassy
Zealot
Cassy began at the beginning.

Device: Silver Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Setting up international rights & data agreements is not easy. B&N only launched their store a few months ago.

Kindle or a locally available option are your only choices. Or just wait an utterly unknown amount of time until B&N goes international.
does that mean using other means to purchase books - BooksOnBoard etc - isn't an option? Is there something that B&N are doing to prevent is from being used internationally?

Thanks
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast

"The digital books in Barnes & Noble’s e-bookstore are available in either epub or Adobe Pdf format. Customers who want to buy books in those formats from other digital bookstores may do so and transfer them onto the Nook, but those who want to buy e-books directly from the device will be connected to Barnes & Noble’s own bookstore."
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/1...s-e-reader/?hp

I can always find a way to get a Nook overseas but I will most likely miss out on discounted ebooks offered from B&N. Looking at bestsellers Lost Symbol sells for about $10 on Amazon and B&N (Kindle Intl +$2), but the site you mentioned, BooksOnBoard is selling it for nearly $25. Seems like if you want affordable ebooks Amazon and B&N are the safest bets (an observation, I'm not an expert.)

Assuming you can transfer B&N books via the USB cable has anyone successfully bought B&N ebooks from overseas using a US credit card? Do they have a proxy block as well?

The only related comment I found was this "Barnes & Noble has said that it is looking at an international roll out however failed to mention a time frame when Pocket-lint asked."
Pocket-lint being the name of this site: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/2808...ble-nook-ebook

Last edited by fuzzy_dunlop; 10-21-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:24 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post

Agreed 100%. Amazon has a huge advantage: they know how to do business outside the US. They have a teams they can depend on in many other parts of the globe, and that helps to foster relationships with local publishers and 3G providers. B & N, on the other hand, has never left the US (or am I wrong?), so it is going to take a lot more effort (and money) to make a similar move like Amazon recently did.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 03:55 AM   #6
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast

Well I'm not sure about Amazon having a big edge in the international space, the Amazon Japan page has a one paragraph explanation of the Kindle that then directs you to the Amazon.com site in English, they literally could not do any less to help sell it. They also have zero Japanese language materials available (i.e. no local publishers) and the device itself won't display Japanese characters or text files unless you use the Unicode hack. It's a very un-international international device.

To launch the device internationally you need relationships with publishers (shouldn't be a problem for B&N) and local 3g which is probably negotiated/handled by AT&T rather than B&N themselves. So I hope things aren't that grim.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
Fuzzy Llama
Fuzzy Llama began at the beginning.

Well, the lack of the international support is a big disappointment for me as well. The nook seems like the best device available up to date. It's a pity that there isn't even support for international characters - we live in the Unicode world for crying out loud.

As for the 3G support - really, I'm very gratefull that they want to solve everything for me but why don't they just give me the device with an empty SIM card slot? I assure you, I can really figure out myself what kind of service I need.

And on the related note - no Web browser in the Android device? So who needs WiFi support then?
Fuzzy Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
Cassy
Zealot
Cassy began at the beginning.

Device: Silver Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
"The digital books in Barnes & Noble’s e-bookstore are available in either epub or Adobe Pdf format. Customers who want to buy books in those formats from other digital bookstores may do so and transfer them onto the Nook, but those who want to buy e-books directly from the device will be connected to Barnes & Noble’s own bookstore."
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/1...s-e-reader/?hp

I can always find a way to get a Nook overseas but I will most likely miss out on discounted ebooks offered from B&N. Looking at bestsellers Lost Symbol sells for about $10 on Amazon and B&N (Kindle Intl +$2), but the site you mentioned, BooksOnBoard is selling it for nearly $25. Seems like if you want affordable ebooks Amazon and B&N are the safest bets (an observation, I'm not an expert.)
Oh thats really good to hear!! I have no problem paying a little more for books - I usually wait for sales or when BoB have their reward bonuses anyway
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #9
ould
Zealot
ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I too am really annoyed by this. I don't really need the 3G crap as I don't tend to buy things "on the road". I could just use the Wi-Fi at home.work when I need it. This is the first reader I have thought of getting to replace my aging PRS-500. I may have to get a family member to pick me one up on their next trip across the border or something. Seeing as it has epub support I don't even need to purchase my books from B&N. I am rather shocked that they aren't offering it at least to Canada if not elsewhere when Amazon is now offering the Kindle internationally.
ould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #10
alexisbrion
Designer based in Germany
alexisbrion began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I've read that in-store customers will be able to use WiFi, outside 3G. Does anybody know if WiFi would also work outside the stores? Or users are allow to use only BN Store's WiFi and not other networks? Want to use it in Europe...
alexisbrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
To launch the device internationally you need relationships with publishers (shouldn't be a problem for B&N) and local 3g which is probably negotiated/handled by AT&T rather than B&N themselves. So I hope things aren't that grim.
Why? Maybe I already have a 3G subscription with my own mobile provider. Maybe I only want to use WiFi/USB.
Maybe I already have about a hundred books (already bought/free) that I want to read on it. Maybe I don't want to use their store anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
Well, the lack of the international support is a big disappointment for me as well. The nook seems like the best device available up to date. It's a pity that there isn't even support for international characters - we live in the Unicode world for crying out loud.

As for the 3G support - really, I'm very gratefull that they want to solve everything for me but why don't they just give me the device with an empty SIM card slot? I assure you, I can really figure out myself what kind of service I need.

And on the related note - no Web browser in the Android device? So who needs WiFi support then?
Hmm, good question about the WiFi...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #12
alexisbrion
Designer based in Germany
alexisbrion began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post

To eventually buy books from work, home or a coffee shop with WiFi without connecting the thing?
alexisbrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
Fuzzy Llama
Fuzzy Llama began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisbrion View Post
I've read that in-store customers will be able to use WiFi, outside 3G. Does anybody know if WiFi would also work outside the stores? Or users are allow to use only BN Store's WiFi and not other networks? Want to use it in Europe...
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/:
Q. Can I use my nook while traveling abroad?
X Yes, when you travel abroad, you can read any files that are already on your nook. You can connect to Wi-Fi hotspots that do not use proxy security settings, such those commonly used in hotels, and download eBooks and subscriptions already in your online digital library. You cannot, however, purchase additional eBooks and subscriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisbrion View Post
To eventually buy books from work, home or a coffee shop with WiFi without connecting the thing?
For book shopping 3G is more than enough. And you don't have to search for the networks, type in passwords etc. - you just power the device on and boom - you can shop.

To me wifi in eBook reader would be great just for browsing the net when you don't have your laptop with you. With the screen size it would be more convenient than using the smartphone.
Fuzzy Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast

B&N is pretty serious about regional restrictions. I just tried to buy a few ebooks from B&N using a US card from overseas...didn't work. Although I could make the purchase, it would not let me download and then immediately canceled the order. So my guess is that they record your IP address at the time you click order.

Granted I tried this with free books (different rules for public domain?) but several people on the B&N site message board are complaining that they can't buy books overseas despite using a US card/address. Looks like its the petition or bust.

Btw, apparently wi-fi will only be available at B&N stores initially, but the hope is later they will open it up for use everywhere, this was reported on Gizmodo.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Do you think it can display other languages correctly, e.g. Thai?
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas