Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
Are we out of the woods yet?

For the past couple of weeks Sony has been talking about major restructuring plans after their massive losses from the previous quarter. I've been expecting them to axe the Reader program. The numbers I've seen have been a few hundred thousand Readers sold and only a few books sold per Reader. That's not a lot of cash flow for a dinosaur like Sony.

Over the past few days Sony has been announcing product line cuts. I've seen cuts to parts of their TV line but not much else. Any thoughts? Will the Reader survive?
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i think it will survive ; they have suffered losses, but the reader line (surprisingly, given that it's still more or less a niche product, and that they only recently have begun advertising it) seems to be holding its own. it was even featured at CES as one of the star performing products.

i am not optimistic for a new model next year as has been their habit for the past 3 (?) years, although i hope to see one, but i don't think they will axe the existing product line. with the attention ereading is getting thanks (among others) to amazon, they would be crazy to do that now.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
stxopher
Nameless Being

Sony has cut down several lines but if you look a bit closer you will see that most of that is redundancy cutting. When you're selling 50 models of a TV line, cutting the line down to 40 to get rid of extra models that don't sell makes sense.

Cutting down an established product line that has, er, 2 models...not quite so sensible.

Despite their lack of knowledgeable advertising they are still considered one of THE brands of readers and as such can only benefit by staying in the market as it continues to increase. Stateside, the only real competitor for consumer dollars currently is the Kindle (though I think we can all agree the situation will probably be changed completely by the end of the year due to so many new companies jumping in). I say Stateside simply because they spent so much of last years effort there instead of global markets. (Which, considering all the blasted copyright/territorial fighting going on, may have been a good move from their stand. I don't have to like it but can understand it.)

And I agree with Zelda about the new model (that we probably won't be getting). A line may not be cut but do they really have any reason to make a new model? Hmmm, no, not right now. For now, software changes will handle most reasonable complaints. Next year the tech will have changed pretty drastically from where it stands now and would make more sense for a new model.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I think it will. I know I've bought a good 60-70 books from Sony (if not more) since I got mine in May.

I think they are handling it well. They've got some low key but I think high impact marketing. They've been targeting high purchasing reading groups, particularly romance readers, a lot of it through blogs. This doesn't cost a whole lot of money, and will bring in the right kind of purchasers. I also think they do a great job publicizing books to Reader owners.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
I say Stateside simply because they spent so much of last years effort there instead of global markets. (Which, considering all the blasted copyright/territorial fighting going on, may have been a good move from their stand. I don't have to like it but can understand it.)
You are joking? They had a HUGE advertising campaign here in the UK for the British launch of the Reader. Reader adverts everywhere you turned, and massive publicity.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You are joking? They had a HUGE advertising campaign here in the UK for the British launch of the Reader. Reader adverts everywhere you turned, and massive publicity.
Then I stand corrected. I was under the assumption that with all the trouble people were having buying from the Sony store overseas as well as the complete lack of awareness of most of my associates also in said areas that they had put no effort there. Apparently they just never registered the ad blitz. Might have just slid off their awareness with the thought of "another tech toy".

On the other hand, must be nice to get an ad campaign for the reader. sigh.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I understand that Sony has folded the reader line back into the general consumer electronics division. So, things will certainly change, but it's not being abandoned. Sony's reader department continues to show active interest and support for Read an E-Book Week, which I doubt they'd do if the division was already designated to evaporate. (In fact, a successful REBW may be something Sony would point to as a good reason to keep the reader division going... so get ready to buy those books!)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
karo02
Enthusiast
karo02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
Last week I received an e-mail from Sony with a survey to complete, where I was asked what I was expecting from a future Sony Reader...
This is rather encouraging for the future of Ebook development !
karo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must have missed that. I saw 1 or 2 the day in the papers when the reader was first released. Otherwise the only adverts I've seen for t have been in Waterstones.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz View Post
I must have missed that. I saw 1 or 2 the day in the papers when the reader was first released. Otherwise the only adverts I've seen for t have been in Waterstones.
The "Reader" appeared on virtually every news programme on the time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I wouldn't call that overly "huge" still...

It lasted what a day or two, three at the most? Huge implies to me weeks of print ads and advertisments in major london stations and bus stops. (come to think of it I vaguely remember seeing 1 ad at Bank).
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Well the Sony launch was pretty loud if you looked around.

While the direct ads were there, they played a small part in the overall campaign.

I was surprised at how active Sony PR was in getting a mention in most papers and most Tv channels, at least on the tech and book shows.

I believe I remember starting seeing mentions and reviews a couple of months in advance of the launch building ip to the launch.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #13
sheppy124
sheppy124 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505
The problem with the sony reader in the uk, alot of people think its locked into waterstones and prices of books are similar to high street prices on waterstones. And its stuck normally in a corner some where in waterstones. Though everybody that has seen the reader has been blown away by it, especially in sun light (when we get it in the uk). Whats really needed in the uk is some more ebook stores to push the product. I feel theres enough room in the market for paperbacks and ebooks alike.
sheppy124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
There was barely any promotion in the US. I think they stuck to cities.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
Domokos
Rita Y. Toews
Domokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it is

Device: Sony and Hiebook
Sony Reader

I asked the question to Sony directly - as they are a big supporter of Read an E-Book Week - and was told they have no plans to abandon the reader.

As mentioned, a successful Read an E-Book Week will be big encouragement for ANY e-book reader manufacturer, and e-book publishers, to continue giving us e-books.

I personally see electronic reading becoming much bigger in the future. More authors are allowing their books to be released as e-books (John Grisham being the latest). They can see the direction that e-books are taking -- and its UP.

Stanza has been a big hit and when Daily Lit and Short Covers really get going, well....

Rita Toews
http://www.ebookweek.com
Domokos is offline   Reply With Quote