Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 AM   #1
rzsiftyxoq
rzsiftyxoq began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
storage issues?

Has anyone had issues with the kindle 2's two gig memory? 1500 books seems like it's a lot, but something tells me it's closer to a 1000. according to kindle's specs, only 1.4 gigs are user accessible. so has anyone had storage issues with the fixed amount of space?
rzsiftyxoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
You'd have to have a lot of non-Amazon books and no way to back them up to a computer to have space problems, in my opinion. Archived books don't count toward the 1.4 gigs, and you can always remove an Amazon-purchased book and it is automatically stored on Amazon's servers for re-download. (You can also back these books up on your computer if you so desire).

So, no, I've never had any problems. I've got about 600 books on my device, and have 1 gig left. I have another 200 or so stored on Amazon's servers, and personally, I'm not worried about those books going anywhere.
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Clearly some people have issues (they complain because unlike K1, K2/DX doesn't allow use of SD cards). Their concept seems to be that Kindle should contain their entire, mostly unread library of free ebooks, but it's not designed for that. And if you put image laden PDFs or especially audiobooks on there, storage will get chewed up pretty fast.

But I find having many items on my Kindle becomes 'clutter' long before storage is an issue. Also, when Kindle needs to reindex (e.g. typically when there's a firmware update or some other issue to clear up), that can take a number of hours if storage is close to full, and you kinda have to let it finish before you can use it for reading again. So just as with a computer disk drive, you want to leave some margin of free storage to keep things happy.

In terms of reading material, I just keep it on there only as long as it takes me to read it, along with a few PDF documents that I use for reference purposes. I send samples to Kindle4Mac so they don't add to the clutter on my Kindle. I find that only very occasionally have I pulled something out of Archived Items to read again.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-28-2010 at 08:51 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I find I keep creeping up to 100 items on my list ... which is 10 screens at the Home button. That's simply too much. I can't imagine ever getting close to capacity. But then, I don't have mp3 or pdf files on the device.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Not an issue at all, given the ability to either delete and redownload from Amazon, or offload to a computer. I have over 300 books and various other documents, and over a gig of space left.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Why do you think it would be more like 1000? I have 100 books on my kindle and have used up about .1 GB (100 MB) (it says I have about 1300 MB available out of 1400 user-accessible). Some books are quite long such as the complete Sherlock Holmes anthology. So if 100 books = .1 GB, then 1.4 GB = 1400 books. Pretty close to what Amazon said.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I find I keep creeping up to 100 items on my list ... which is 10 screens at the Home button. That's simply too much. I can't imagine ever getting close to capacity. But then, I don't have mp3 or pdf files on the device.

Your'e right that it is 10 screens; however, if you want to (for example) jump to screen 6, just press 6 and click ok.

(Please disregard this information if you already know this.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:59 AM   #8
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
however, if you want to (for example) jump to screen 6, just press 6 and click ok
Don
Thank you for the information. I did not know that and kept pushing the "Next Page" button over and over. Your way is so much more convenient!
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
if you want to (for example) jump to screen 6, just press 6 and click ok.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the useful tip.

I wish there was some similar way of jumping backwards and forwards within a book. I often want to flick back a few pages to check some point I might have missed. It's tedious having to keeping pressing "previous page". I suppose I could try to work out the location number, then do "go to location", but it would be nice to have, say, a "go back/forward ten screens" feature.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote