Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
LisandroP
LisandroP began at the beginning.

Device: none
Post Astak Mentor 6" (EB600BLK / EB600WHT)

Hi. I was pondering about buying one of these devices (model numbers are for black case/white case, otherwise identical). Thing is, i've noticed information for the Mentor is scarce and, even worse, not consistent. For example, even on Astaks' site the device is mentioned to support MP3 playback on the product page ( http://www.astak.com/product.asp?serial=EB-EB600BLK ), and then it goes to mention specifically it has no MP3 support in the FAQ ( http://www.astak.com/faq_mentor.asp#q1_4 ).

So, maybe someone here owns one of these and might be able to give me more accurate details. Audio support? Gray levels? Avaliable memory? Supported formats? Any information is appreciated, thanks in advance!
LisandroP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Mentor Lite info

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisandroP View Post
Hi. I was pondering about buying one of these devices (model numbers are for black case/white case, otherwise identical). Thing is, i've noticed information for the Mentor is scarce and, even worse, not consistent. For example, even on Astaks' site the device is mentioned to support MP3 playback on the product page ( http://www.astak.com/product.asp?serial=EB-EB600BLK ), and then it goes to mention specifically it has no MP3 support in the FAQ ( http://www.astak.com/faq_mentor.asp#q1_4 ).

So, maybe someone here owns one of these and might be able to give me more accurate details. Audio support? Gray levels? Avaliable memory? Supported formats? Any information is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Dear LisandroP:

I work for Astak and we make/sell the Mentor Lite. When it first came out (Version 1) it did not support Adobe Digital Editions, had a slow controller, had no MP3, and was 4 level grey scale. As such, we never sold it.

The factory came out with Version 2 after we complained a bit. Version 2 has 8 level grey scale, the super-fast Epson Controller, MP3, and Adobe Digital Editions. THAT is what we sell.

You can read all about the Mentor Lite in my blog: www.robertbEZ.blogspot.com

It is an outstanding device now and I have 3-4 posts on the Mentor Lite on that blog!!

Thank you, Lisandro, for a great question!

You can buy the Mentor Lite Version 2 at: www.astak.com
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
LisandroP
LisandroP began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear LisandroP:
I work for Astak and we make/sell the Mentor Lite. When it first came out (Version 1) it did not support Adobe Digital Editions, had a slow controller, had no MP3, and was 4 level grey scale. As such, we never sold it.

The factory came out with Version 2 after we complained a bit. Version 2 has 8 level grey scale, the super-fast Epson Controller, MP3, and Adobe Digital Editions. THAT is what we sell.

You can read all about the Mentor Lite in my blog: www.robertbEZ.blogspot.com

It is an outstanding device now and I have 3-4 posts on the Mentor Lite on that blog!!

Thank you, Lisandro, for a great question!

You can buy the Mentor Lite Version 2 at: www.astak.com
Thank you so much for the reply! It does look like a great device... i've been looking for a decent affordable eInk ebook reader and this looks like it fits the bill. I'll probably be getting one sometime this week.
LisandroP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Decent affordable E-INK device in Mentor Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisandroP View Post
Thank you so much for the reply! It does look like a great device... i've been looking for a decent affordable eInk ebook reader and this looks like it fits the bill. I'll probably be getting one sometime this week.
Dear Lisandro:

Thank you. I am happy to help!

Welcome to our merry little band of Astak lovers!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
astak, eb600blk, eb600wht, mentor