Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
MCSmarties
Enthusiast
MCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Unhappy How to edit ebooks (fix typos etc.) while reading?

This may be a naive question, but is there any convenient way to directly "edit" ebooks (I don't mean change the structure, but modify the text in a small way, WYSIWYG) while reading them?

It really bugs me to be reading a book and noticing for example a typo or an OCR error, and not being able to fix it at once.

Ideally I would like to fix epub books on a sony reader (maybe rooted?), but I am throwing this out as a general question for any kind of platform.

Sometimes I proofread epub books with Sigil on my windows laptop, but it's not a very appealing way to read books! The other option is to make a note and go back to fixing it later - but of course it's a very frustrating thing to do.

I see a mistake, I want to fix it RIGHT NOW.

Any suggestions?
I would just like to start a discussion on this topic. Thanks!
MCSmarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
I believe you can do this in calibre - 'explode' the book, edit the correct the xhtml file, and zip it up again.
The tricky words here are 'edit the correct xhtml file' - you have to find the file corresponding to the page you're reading (by inspecting the toc file?), and be comfortable with peeking&poking an xhtml file.
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I simply read on my various readers and highlight any mistakes I find. And then go back to my source and fix those mistakes. I'm not bothered by a mistake that was on a previous page. If a mistake is made a lot of times, I'll stop reading that book until I managed to do a search&replace on my source and uploaded the new version to my reader.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ebooks are quite readable in the Book view of e.g. Sigil.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
hihosilver
hihosilver began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
Try using Mobipocket Reader... Mouse over the word or words you wish to change or correct, right click..choose "modify."
hihosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
The problem with fixing it RIGHT NOW is that the OCR errors can be pretty consistent some times, R becomes E. If you just fix it at once, you will fixing it over and over again. If you at least read for a while you can fix these sorts of repetitive errors only once.

Sigil book view is not so hard for reading.. have you noticed the slider to increase text size? You can also drag in or out the size of the display windows to make it less wide and maybe easier to read that way.

I keep a small piece of paper inside the back of my Sony Reader cover and note problems there so I can search for them and fix them later, not interrupting my reading. I find that if I try to read and fix at once the enjoyment of it is gone and all it is work, one problem after another.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
Try using Mobipocket Reader... Mouse over the word or words you wish to change or correct, right click..choose "modify."
Hmm, in reading the Mobipocket Reader website, I see you can make notes and annotations, but nothing about changing the text of the book.

Are you ACTUALLY changing the text? or just making an annotation that overlays the original text to show what you want to display instead?

EDIT: Just tried to download Mobipocket Reader 6.2 from the website, and it is unavailable.
"The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

Last edited by JohnnyBook; 07-28-2012 at 05:23 PM.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
device, edit, epub, modify, software