Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #31
jonnybraga
jonnybraga began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
fred_yu_job - yes... i'd say it's about 30 min.... i just went through the hassle of having to turn it on again just because I stopped my reading for 30-40 min.... once again, it's not the 30 seconds wait that bothers me... it's knowing that my battery is being drained for nothing...

EricLandes - yeah.... i would love to get the cover back too.... i used to love that.... i know it's not an important feature, but i kinda liked it....
jonnybraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #32
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Dang, forced sleep and forced shutdown. Not really the best.

I mean lets say I'm reading and the phone rings. So I start talking and 45 min later I want to start reading again. Now I have to do the start up process and probably use a lot more power then if it had just stayed on. The start up process its self has 4 or 5 screen changes alone.

I wonder how long you would have to wait before you've saved power to equal the additional power used during boot. I was always turning my Kobo off so its not an issue for me, but I was hoping that I would just be able to use sleep mode instead. Instant on would be really nice.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #33
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
Hmm , I left mine on in "i'm reading" mode for an hour and it didn't sleep. I'll try again. Does anyone know or can prove that the device is using less power in "active" mode?
While I'm grateful to Kobo for actually releasing an update, I have trouble believing such a deeply flawed power saving system made it past the beta testers (whoever they might have been).
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #34
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
TPW, yeah it will stay on the "I'm Reading" without shutting down, but if your actually reading a book it will go to "Sleep"
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #35
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Hmm , I left mine on in "i'm reading" mode for an hour and it didn't sleep.
Interesting! If it is true, then at least we have a kind of workaround kludge for the sleep/shutdown timer(s). Sure, you still have to wait the 10seconds-ish to load the book, but at least it's quicker then a full boot for those complaining they have to power the Kobo back up after only a short break.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #36
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
Turt,
I'm thinking the same way! what's the balance point between power up process and sleep? looks like, in kobo's developers opinion, it's 15 to 30 minutes!
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #37
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turt99 View Post
TPW, yeah it will stay on the "I'm Reading" without shutting down, but if your actually reading a book it will go to "Sleep"
Looks like they setup this for such circumstances:
when one is reading on the bed, and, most likely he will fall into sleep, then the kobo will be shut down itself;

when I'm not reading (put the device in "I'm reading" page), the device thinks I won't go to sleep, and let the device on...

it's sort of reasonable?

so, try tonight, read a book on the bed with your strouggling Eyelid...

ps. in fact, maybe they should add another sleep mode (when press the power button), the device won't shutdown itself in this mode.

Last edited by fred_yu_job; 07-02-2010 at 03:47 PM.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #38
Beorn
New in the business
Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader, Sony PRS-505 (broken)
I did the upgrade as well, and I also agree that the new sleep mode, is very awkward...

I think that the sleep mode itself is relatively ok, though actually I don't really understand why can't it go to such a sleep mode without showing the "sleep" screen.
For example, after 5 minutes (or even less), the Kobo could go into such a "semi-sleep" mode (one could call it "nap mode), but without locking the keys, so that it will still take less energy, but won't affect the user experience (besides maybe a 1-2 longer delay when switching to the next page while in this mode). In fact, this will be even more efficient then the regular sleep mode, since it saves the 2 screen refreshes (to and from "sleep page")

In addition, I think that it should be like that, that making a short press on the power button puts the Kobo to sleep (like it does now, with key locking), but without auto-shutdown, and only a long press makes a complete shutdown, which one should use when not using the Kobo for a few days...

Otherwise, I think that the update process was very easy to do and self-explaining, and I only hope that the next updates will come soon!
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #39
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
I installed the update this am and found the process both smooth and uneventful. The upgrade instructions were complete and suitably diagrammed. All in all I was probably 15 mins or so.

Dial up users beware: The upgrade I downloaded was 21+ meg in size which will take awhile on dial-up. I have high-speed so this wasn't an issue for me but it might be for some.

I was really impressed with the upgrade process and communications from kobo staff. Hopefully they realize that they'll never please everyone in an update. I'm sure they'll keep going and things will improve with each new software update. A great first effort.

The major bugs that proved annoying to me have been fixed. I can live with the sleep "bug" as it won't really affect me that much.

All in all a positive experience. Keep up the good work kobo!
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #40
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

+1 Beorn, I especially like the idea of 'nap' mode, in fact I thought that was what the powersaving was going to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
I did the upgrade as well, and I also agree that the new sleep mode, is very awkward...

I think that the sleep mode itself is relatively ok, though actually I don't really understand why can't it go to such a sleep mode without showing the "sleep" screen.
For example, after 5 minutes (or even less), the Kobo could go into such a "semi-sleep" mode (one could call it "nap mode), but without locking the keys, so that it will still take less energy, but won't affect the user experience (besides maybe a 1-2 longer delay when switching to the next page while in this mode). In fact, this will be even more efficient then the regular sleep mode, since it saves the 2 screen refreshes (to and from "sleep page")

In addition, I think that it should be like that, that making a short press on the power button puts the Kobo to sleep (like it does now, with key locking), but without auto-shutdown, and only a long press makes a complete shutdown, which one should use when not using the Kobo for a few days...

Otherwise, I think that the update process was very easy to do and self-explaining, and I only hope that the next updates will come soon!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #41
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... when I'm not using my Kobo, I'm not looking at it ...

Well stated - made my afternoon! (grin)

Clint Bradford
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #42
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Interesting! If it is true, then at least we have a kind of workaround kludge for the sleep/shutdown timer(s). Sure, you still have to wait the 10seconds-ish to load the book, but at least it's quicker then a full boot for those complaining they have to power the Kobo back up after only a short break.
This is highly irregular. I tested this just now from the I'm Reading screen, the device I have goes to sleep from there.

Is anyone else getting the same issue?
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #43
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

I tried it from the 'I'm Reading' screen and it went into sleep mode the same as any screen.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #44
tpw
Zealot

Hi sameerh, thanks for your input. Perhaps you can explain the rationale behind the forced shutdown after 15 min sleep. To me it seems like a case of engineers thinking they know better than users how to use their own device. I think I'm most annoyed by the fact that it removes user choice: I should be able to choose between the convenience of picking up the Kobo any time and starting reading immediately (at the cost of battery life), or switching it off completely for maximum longevity. The latest update actually removed this functionality, and I think will probably create a fair bit of dissatisfaction.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #45
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
Got 1.4 yesterday - update went smooth as silk.

Things that are awesome:
Sync doesn't hose my current book place
Charge instructions displayed while charging
Can hide free books

Things that are not awesome:
The current book cover no longer displays in power-off state

I want to emphatically express that I am disappointed that the book cover is gone from the power-off screen. I loved that cover display - it set the Kobo well apart from the other ereaders and lent some great character. An option to choose if you want to display the cover in a future update would be great.

Keep up the excellent work guys
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote