Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Android on Paperwhite

Although the eink screen greatly limits the running of Android, I enjoyed being able to use this on my Nook Simpletouch. How come I have never seen Any reference to attempts to implement this on the PW?
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nypaulie View Post
Although the eink screen greatly limits the running of Android, I enjoyed being able to use this on my Nook Simpletouch. How come I have never seen Any reference to attempts to implement this on the PW?
Probably because you have missed them.
A recent post on the subject had a video of it having been done to a K4-Clone with links to the i.MX50 Freescale (PW1) complete package.

Also, the links to the i.MX6 Freescale (PW2) complete package has been posted here.
That one includes e-ink screen drivers and drivers for the ViVantia GPU (2D only).

If you can't find them here, in one of the already existing "Android on Kindle" threads - you can find them on the Freescale web-site.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Thanks!
Having used B4A to write apk files for the Simpletouch I'm spoiled. Know of a program that compiles to apw2 files? I've poked around the java developers forums and I admit I want something that's easier (for me).
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nypaulie View Post
Thanks!
Having used B4A to write apk files for the Simpletouch I'm spoiled. Know of a program that compiles to apw2 files? I've poked around the java developers forums and I admit I want something that's easier (for me).
Compiles to azw2? You mean like, stick in a .bas and you get an azw2? Not happening. Azw2 is all java.

Basically, an azw2 is a signed jarfile which contains code that is executed in a very restrictive environment. You could use kindlet JB for getting past these restrictions (reading files, writing files, executing commands, etc), but you will still have to port the ui and change many things around. Kindle Touch and PW 1 & 2 use a modified swing based ui, while older kindles use some kind of ui toolkit they wrote themselves for use on nontouch devices.

TL;DR: No one click solution, get your hand dirty in some coffee.

ALTERNATIVLY: Try porting a basic compiler and x11/gtk bindings to the kindle, but that might be very tough (for you).

LEARN JAVA: http://see.stanford.edu/see/coursein...a-866adcae1111

Download the course materials and watch the lectures on YT.

Oh yeah, dos1 ported pygtk for kindle, so try that out to see if python's your thing.

ALL of this is very difficult to do on a windows machine, get a linux distro (must do this before you read the period at the end of this sencence).

Last edited by aditya3098; 01-04-2014 at 09:02 AM.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote