Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Calibre on Raspberry Pi

The Raspberry Pi use ARMv6 architecture.
Is it possible to install Calibre on Raspberry Pi?
"Binary install

calibre has a binary install that includes private versions of all its dependencies. It runs on 32-bit and 64-bit Intel compatible machines. To install or upgrade, simply copy paste the following command into a terminal and press Enter: "
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
No - you cannot install the Intel binary install as the Raspberry Pi is ARMv6 processor based.

Someone else has reported that there is a build of Calibre in the Raspbian repositories that can be installed via apt-get. I have not tried this myself to see if the install succeeds and if it does how it runs.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
No - you cannot install the Intel binary install as the Raspberry Pi is ARMv6 processor based.
This I know
Quote:
Someone else has reported that there is a build of Calibre in the Raspbian repositories that can be installed via apt-get. I have not tried this myself to see if the install succeeds and if it does how it runs.
But as far, as I can see, there is a source install possibility and I wanted to know, if someone has tried it with raspberry Pi

"Source install
WARNING: calibre is a highly complex piece of software with lots of very finicky dependencies. If you install from source, you are on your own. Please do not open bug reports or expect any form of support. You have been warned.

If you're still determined to install from source, read on:

Make sure your system has python ≥ 2.7.1 not 3.x
Install the various dependencies listed below
Run the following commands in a terminal:

curl -L http://status.calibre-ebook.com/dist/src | tar xvJ
cd calibre*
sudo python setup.py install

Note that if your distribution does not have a correctly compiled libunrar.so, calibre will hang with cbr/rar files.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just tried to get calibre running from source and it has not quite worked but I am not sure why. The steps I followed were:
  • Make sure my Raspbian build is up to date with 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade'
  • Install the calibre and bzr packages from the rpi repositories to try and get all required dependencies in place.
  • Start the GUI via startx and open up a terminal window
  • Launch calibre using the 'calibre' command to check it works. It ran the welcome wizard and then came up saying it was running version 0.8.51. Closed down calibre.
  • Ran the bzr command to grab a copy of the calibre source. Seems to complete without a problem.
  • set up the CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM environment variable to point to the Calibre source.
  • triy to start calibre using the 'calibre' command. Then get messages about compiling various forms which suggest the source is being picked up.
  • HOWEVER, when calibre started it says it was STILL running the 0.8.51 release, and not the latest 0.9.21 release which I would expect if it is really running from source.
Not sure what has gone wrong

This is exactly the sort of procedure I would expect to run on an Intel based Linux install (although I would use the calibre binary install in place of the repository build). I think it is going to take some effort to pin down why the new source is not being used. My suspicion is a problem with one or more of the dependencies needing to be updated for this release of Calibre to function correctly.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM only works with the calibre binary installs, it wont work with a source install.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM only works with the calibre binary installs, it wont work with a source install.
I am confused then. It seems to work fine for me on my Windows system (and I thought on my Slackware system). I new I had to do a binary install first, which is why I first installed the repository version, but I thought that having done that I could add the source and run from source?

With the procedure I followed, how am I meant to start Calibre and run from Source?

Last edited by itimpi; 03-01-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

calibre on windows is a binary install. If you want to use CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM on linux you have to install the binary calibre from http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

If you use a distro package or compile and run calibre from source directly CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM will not work.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard

OK. I had assumed that running the distro install was equivalent to running the binary install, but you say it is not.

I guess that would mean building everything from scratch then as there is no binary download for an ARMv6 processor.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No the binary installs use the own custom C code to start the python interpreter and it is at this layer that CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM is used. When installing from source, there is no such C layer. Distro packages are ususally built from the calibre source install.