Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
mrklaw
mrklaw began at the beginning.

Device: none
Japanese ebooks?

Hi

My wife is getting frustrated at the cost of importing books from Japan (she's japanese) and so I'm considering an ebook.

But I'm having difficulty finding any stores that sell ebooks in Japanese, and I don't even know if ebook readers from the UK would support Japanese text (don't know if the different formats generally embed fonts or not, whether the readers have Japanese fonts built in)

She mostly reads modern fiction and non-fiction, not interested in classics or out of copyright stuff.

Any advice?
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
tehKitten
Enthusiast
tehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enough

Device: none
http://www.ebookoff.co.jp/index.jsp

or

http://ebook.digitalink.ne.jp/

maybe?

try to google through google.jp, because then you got more shops from japan
tehKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
tc1970
tc1970 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, iPad 1
I found this old thread because I have the same question: "Where to buy Japanese ebooks ?"

I suppose, that the market evolved in the last 2 years.

Perhaps somebody could answer the questions of this thread now ?
tc1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
The selection is still pretty miserable. There are few new and popular titles. Look at the Japanese Sony Store to see an example. Actually, if you want manga, the selection is better, but you need to have a tablet. In general the best way to read Japanese ebooks is on an iPad or Android tablet, iirc.

Japanese people in Japan are mostly using scan services to scan their books into PDF (optimized for smaller readers).
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote