Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 07:01 AM   #151
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Yes, only the abridged versions are available online. I'll have a go, but it may be after Christmas before it gets posted.
The full 12 volume (?) set would be a daunting project. I wonder how many have read it rather than the abridged volume.

The abridged version should serve the purpose.

Thank you.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:08 AM   #152
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Bless you. This is a wonderful addition to MR's catalog.

I read it in paper, years back, and found it splendid and enlightening. I was a bit put off by Fraser's somewhat patronizing tone. It's a masterpiece of scholarship, but the persistent "these primitive savages believed this, but of course we enlightened moderns are beyond such nonsense" attitude got a bit wearing. I wondered whether the unabridged edition might have diluted that.

No matter. Still fine stuff, and Fraser's attitudes were a product of his time. I have sometimes wondered what a future equivalent of Fraser might have to say about some of our customs and rituals.

Thank you again.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #153
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I doubt if there is an electronic edition anywhere, but it would be very fine to have Dorothy L Sayers translation of Dante's The Devine Comedy. As Sayers is now PD in Canada, and Dante has been in Purgatory for hundreds of years, I expect her translations are PD as well (which may explain why Penguin replaced them a few years ago with "new" translations by Mark Musa).

If this were to show up as an e-book ... woohoo!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:50 AM   #154
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I doubt if there is an electronic edition anywhere, but it would be very fine to have Dorothy L Sayers translation of Dante's The Divine Comedy.
I posted Longfellow's translation some time ago. It won't help if you are interested specifically in Sayers's translation, but if you just want a translation, that's fine. Of course, having yet another translation uploaded would be fine too

(I'm still slowly working my way through a Spanish translation by Bartolomé Mitre... I just found a couple of pages missing from the scans )

Last edited by Jellby; 12-29-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #155
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I can't find an online Sayers translation of the Divine Comedy. If anyone knows of one then perhaps they could PM me, and I'll have a go at a conversion.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #156
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. Sayer's translation is outstanding as a work itself. I'll keep searching. (And sorry for the ghastly typoe ...!)
Old 01-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #157
Miotang
Miotang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
English->French dictionary

Hi,

I'm looking for a English->French dictionary to replace the English one on my Kindle.

I know that there is one on Amazon store, but most of the evaluation are bad !

Is there any one else somewhere ?

bye

Mio

http://kindleenfrancais.wordpress.com
Miotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #158
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Welcome to the forum, Miotang.
This thread is intended for people to request conversions of books in the public domain, or available through a creative commons licence. These are posted in our upload section.
It's unlikely that there will be a public domain English-French dictionary that will both meet your needs and be in the public domain. (If it's old enough to be PD then it won't have modern words. Quel dommage.)
So you may be better-off asking this question in the Kindle part of the forum. Or try Googling on
English-French dictionary free download
and see whether anything there might work for you.
Sorry not to be more helpful.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #159
Miotang
Miotang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Hi Patricia,

Sorry to having post in the wrong thread :-(.

I have search on google, but nothing (without DRM) is available. I'm willing to pay for it.

I'll try into the Kindle part of the forum.

bye

Mio
Miotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #160
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I have downloaded the LRF of Jacques Futrelle's 'Thinking Machine' detective stories and read some of it on my Sony, but now that I have a Kindle I want to read it there too. The problem is that when I try converting in Calibre to mobi, I cannot get a result where the text is fully justified. I have tried every setting and it keeps giving me the ragged edges where it is not justified. If anyone has more powerful software and can convert this for me, I would be grateful!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #161
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does this book have hard-coded left justification? Use the "Mobi2html" tool to convert the Mobi book to HTML and look. Mobi should be fully justified by default unless the book specifically specifies left justification.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #162
SensualPoet
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Or alternately, many of the stories are in mobi format at manybooks.net -- as separate pieces.

Since you are in Canada, you might also enjoy the Raymond Chandler's that have started to appear in the mobi section, nicely formatted for the Kindle.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #163
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thanks for the tip, I have downloaded the Chandler. I have no idea where to find or ow to use the mobi2html thing---I did a search and turned up no info. I don't suppose anybody would be so kind as to download the LRF and convert it for me?

How do the Manybooks files display on a Kindle? I always found them iffy on the Sony but maybe the mobi ones look better.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:50 AM   #164
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Thanks for the tip, I have downloaded the Chandler. I have no idea where to find or ow to use the mobi2html thing---I did a search and turned up no info. I don't suppose anybody would be so kind as to download the LRF and convert it for me?

How do the Manybooks files display on a Kindle? I always found them iffy on the Sony but maybe the mobi ones look better.
Tompe's Mobi tools collection, which includes Mobi2html, can be found here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #165
bshirase
bshirase began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi

I would like to request a PRC format of

The Kybalion - Three Initiates

Source:
http://www.kybalion.org/
Source file:
http://www.kybalion.org/TheKybalion.pdf

I can't find any source on the internet and I don't know how to convert it to PRC format

Thank you
bshirase is offline   Reply With Quote