Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
US Study: E-books Attract Internet-Savvy, Educated

Not a surprising conclusion, but some interesting numbers about the ebook reading population in the US:

From http://www.marketingprofs.com/charts...savvy-educated

More numbers on the linked page.

Last edited by anurag; 12-22-2009 at 06:43 PM.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
The statistics people come up with these days, you'd think all of the analysts in the world would brave up and say they just want to find something that would either A). Turn someone off to something entirely convenient. Or B) Attack something and label it as a connection to evil.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag View Post
Not a surprising conclusion, but some interesting numbers about the ebook reading population in the US:

From http://www.marketingprofs.com/charts...savvy-educated

More numbers on the linked page.
Clearly someone's been lying on surveys. Unless y'all have been hiding information about your massive hills of wealth y'all have. 'Cause I and my mom bomb out on the income level but can answer yes, unequivocally, to all but the last one - I can, she can't.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Not a surprising conclusion
Really? Not surprising?

I am not in a single category.

"Clearly, users of the current generation of e-readers are highly educated, upscale, and Internet savvy"

A huge raspberry here. I am none of the above.

This article perpetuates the idea that the average person isnt intelligent enough to use them, nor could they afford them if they were.

Its a book reader, people, not rocket science! All thats needed is a desire to read.

Period.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Really? Not surprising?

"Clearly, users of the current generation of e-readers are highly educated, upscale, and Internet savvy"

This article perpetuates the idea that the average person isnt intelligent enough to use them, nor could they afford them if they were.

Its a book reader, people, not rocket science! All thats needed is a desire to read.

Period.
What I also forgot to mention, why are all the popular things in life singled out as a "Fixed demographic" trend?

This is pretty common with every survey on good things.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Really? Not surprising?

8700 posts and you're not a heavy internet user?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Came to say this I think you're more internet savvy than you think, DG.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's also worth noting that this survey is apparently taken from users of dedicated e-book reading devices, and probably only a sampling of the recently-purchased devices out there... which does not describe all e-book users, despite what many newbies to the field might think.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
"Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of people know that." --Homer Simpson
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Quote:
Really? Not surprising?

Period.
DG, your activity on MR disqualifies you from being non-internet-savvy, and your comment also indicates your above-average intelligence/education As for the household income bit, I can't speak to your specific case, but I think a lot of us here don't fit the bill, especially when you consider what Quantcast has to say about MobileRead demographics!

From http://www.quantcast.com/mobileread.com#demographics

Looks like the survey targeted users from more affluent forums
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:49 PM   #11
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Being a fabulously wealthy male with a doctorate in BS, a computer chip hardwired to my grotesquely large cerebrum and wifi leaking from every orifice, I think this survey is spot on!

Last edited by Donnageddon; 12-22-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Well I don't use wifi, don't have a degree, income is 1/4 of that 100k mark, and don't have a cell phone. At 57 I'm over their age profile.

Heavy internet user, well ya, ok there ya got me, along with being male.

So they missed on 5 out of 7.

Funny I never thought I'd be hanging with the "in" crowd. Grin
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Being a fabulously wealthy male with a doctorate in BS, a computer chip hardwired to my grotesquely large cerebrum and wifi leaking from every orifice, I think this survey is spot on!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I took this to mean being online all the time, in many different areas.......I just kinda got "stuck" here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Came to say this I think you're more internet savvy than you think, DG.
No....you're just used to seeing me. Well, I can use "google".............

Quote:
DG, your activity on MR disqualifies you from being non-internet-savvy, and your comment also indicates your above-average intelligence/education As for the household income bit, I can't speak to your specific case, but I think a lot of us here don't fit the bill, especially when you consider what Quantcast has to say about MobileRead demographics!

Well, I just don't know what to say about this.

First, thank you for the compliment.

However, I'm average, just average. High school education, blue collar jobs all my life, no true 'vocation'. I've learned thru the kindness of strangers (thanks, MobileRead!) and by my mistakes.....

Our income is probably lower/middle class.

I just see red when I read "studies" like this.

Pfffttt!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I wonder what the percentage would be for "Read books." This does require a certain level of education (for litteracy) and income (even if it's just to travel to the public library).

I only hit on 4 of the 7 criteria and missed on the two highest percentages.

Last edited by slayda; 12-22-2009 at 10:40 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote