Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
Moshiko
Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo touch
Help for non geek

Hi

My question would suprise many of you that would wonder how come such a simple issue is not clear. But, since i have read so many confusing posts and i don"t want to risk the kobo i just purchased i prefere beeing safe than sorry.

I would like to install on the kobo touch the xcsoar developed by max k. But since his site does not state clearly if the development that was focused on the kobo mini would work on the touch , i need to be sure i backup the necessary files to be able to recover.

I use windows vista with no knoledge of linux or other software , i no how to browse the files on the device , but dont know what to copy and in case things go wrong how to recover.

Can anyone write the steps in a clear way ?

Thanks

Moshiko
Moshiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshiko View Post
Hi

My question would suprise many of you that would wonder how come such a simple issue is not clear. But, since i have read so many confusing posts and i don"t want to risk the kobo i just purchased i prefere beeing safe than sorry.

I would like to install on the kobo touch the xcsoar developed by max k. But since his site does not state clearly if the development that was focused on the kobo mini would work on the touch , i need to be sure i backup the necessary files to be able to recover.

I use windows vista with no knoledge of linux or other software , i no how to browse the files on the device , but dont know what to copy and in case things go wrong how to recover.

Can anyone write the steps in a clear way ?

Thanks

Moshiko

You can use the tools located here in the Memory mod instructions in the developers corner to back your entire sd card up so you have a pristine copy of the entire contents of the card for restore if you mess it up.

Complete instructions are located here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122

with links to programs that work in windows. What you can do is purchase a small micro sd card and use it to copy your original sd card to and put the original sd card in a safe place. That way you have a working card to experiment with and always are able to go back to the original at any time if you so desire.

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd actually suggest a complete removal of your original SD card (assuming it IS an SD card based unit) and a storing of it in a safe place.

Then use a brand new SD card.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
How are you planning on getting GPS data for that app?
It would be cool if there were GPS cards that plugged into a uSD slot.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/spectec-...ngId=289629096

Might need one of these couldn't tell:
http://club.dx.com/reviews/photos/27001/111692

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-25-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Moshiko
Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Well the idea , not mine, is to use SB USB OTG adapter cable and link to a machine that has GPS and transfers NEMA code.

see link: http://max.kellermann.name/projects/xcsoar/kobo.html

Moshiko
Old 08-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Moshiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
You can use the tools located here in the Memory mod instructions in the developers corner to back your entire sd card up so you have a pristine copy of the entire contents of the card for restore if you mess it up.

Complete instructions are located here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122

with links to programs that work in windows. What you can do is purchase a small micro sd card and use it to copy your original sd card to and put the original sd card in a safe place. That way you have a working card to experiment with and always are able to go back to the original at any time if you so desire.

regards

JAck

Hi Jack

I followed the link and before i tried to make the image i have restored the device to factory reset. powered the device off and took the micro SD to the pc for making the image i run the image creator program and after selecting the image destination and pressing the "Create Image" button, i got an error message that says: "Unable to obtain a lock on the volume on the removable device. Please ensure all open files on the device have been closed"

What should I do ?

Please help

Moshiko
Old 08-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshiko View Post
Hi Jack

I followed the link and before i tried to make the image i have restored the device to factory reset. powered the device off and took the micro SD to the pc for making the image i run the image creator program and after selecting the image destination and pressing the "Create Image" button, i got an error message that says: "Unable to obtain a lock on the volume on the removable device. Please ensure all open files on the device have been closed"

What should I do ?

Please help

Moshiko
Please don't post the same in more than one thread bouncing from thread to thread with the same questions makes it hard to get a proper reply. Pick a thread to work out a problem and stick to that one, for that problem.

See my reply in the other thread.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Looks like you got it sorted with the help of Ken and Petert

glad your up and running

Last edited by jackastor; 08-25-2013 at 03:06 PM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote