Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #16
ajju
Veteran mobile reader
ajju began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1.0
MP3 Player (fixing the shuffly only bug)

Kindle plays MP3s only in shuffle mode. Assuming we can patch the OS, do you see anything in here that looks like it's being used to play MP3s? I am not sure alsaplay can play mp3s. Don't see anything obvious yet.

My Kindle won't be here till December. Hoping we can fix a few obvious bugs being advertised as features. You've got a device with Linux on it that's online 24/7, it shouldn't be hard to do many cool things with it.
ajju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:51 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajju View Post
Kindle plays MP3s only in shuffle mode. Assuming we can patch the OS, do you see anything in here that looks like it's being used to play MP3s? I am not sure alsaplay can play mp3s. Don't see anything obvious yet.

My Kindle won't be here till December. Hoping we can fix a few obvious bugs being advertised as features. You've got a device with Linux on it that's online 24/7, it shouldn't be hard to do many cool things with it.
Patching the OS wouldn't change this. You would need to patch the application that is doing the MP3 playing.

It looks like Audible is only a foreground application so you can't read a book while listening to it. Too bad for those using the device to pick up a second language.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #18
ajju
Veteran mobile reader

DaleDe: Indeed. I meant to say as long as we can get shell access to be able to patch the application.

Regarding the music player being a foreground app, everything I have read suggests that it is actually a background music player but can only play songs on the shuffle. For e.g.: http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html
Old 11-20-2007, 06:33 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
DaleDe: Indeed. I meant to say as long as we can get shell access to be able to patch the application.

Regarding the music player being a foreground app, everything I have read suggests that it is actually a background music player but can only play songs on the shuffle. For e.g.: http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html
do you know the difference between the Mp3 player and the audible application?
check http://www.audible.com

Dale
Old 11-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #20
ajju
Veteran mobile reader

I did not. Since I was talking about the mp3 player I assumed you were referring to the same.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I did not. Since I was talking about the mp3 player I assumed you were referring to the same.
Sorry, I started a new paragraph so I thought I could enter a related subject. Both are sound and books are available in both formats and neither format really leads to being able to sync the audio to the reading (for different reasons)

Dale
Old 01-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #22
Kruskal
Kruskal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Sorry, I started a new paragraph so I thought I could enter a related subject. Both are sound and books are available in both formats and neither format really leads to being able to sync the audio to the reading (for different reasons)

Dale
I thought you might be interested in a vapor-ware company which has software to automatically sync audio and text: www.automaticsync.com/lipsync/products_eBS.html

Vincent
Kruskal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruskal View Post
I thought you might be interested in a vapor-ware company which has software to automatically sync audio and text: www.automaticsync.com/lipsync/products_eBS.html

Vincent
That is very interesting. I think there is a need for such a product but why do you call it vaporware?

Dale
Old 01-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #24
Kruskal
Kruskal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
That is very interesting. I think there is a need for such a product but why do you call it vaporware?

Dale
I called it vaporware because I saw nothing about price or ordering. I assumed that they are looking for a marketing partner.

Could be wrong. I'd like to be wrong. Let me know if you find that I'm wrong.

Vincent
Kruskal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruskal View Post
I called it vaporware because I saw nothing about price or ordering. I assumed that they are looking for a marketing partner.

Could be wrong. I'd like to be wrong. Let me know if you find that I'm wrong.

Vincent
It is fairly common for a design/manufacturer not to be in the retail business. I do not find this enough justification to believe it does not exist. however it would have been nice if they could have listed a dealer or two. It might be interesting to email them I suppose.

Dale