Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #106
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
I jailbroke my iPhone and ever since then, Bluefire causes my iPhone (4) to freeze up. It's the only app that does it. Anyone else have this problem?
hmm, that is a serious one. We did not specifically test against jailbroken phones. We'll look into that. Sorry to hear about the problem you are having. Anyone out there with a jailbroken iPhone 4? It would be good to know if it is repeatable.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #107
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
hmm, that is a serious one. We did not specifically test against jailbroken phones. We'll look into that. Sorry to hear about the problem you are having. Anyone out there with a jailbroken iPhone 4? It would be good to know if it is repeatable.
I don't have an iPhone, but I do have a jailbroken iPod Touch 3G running iOS 4 and have not had any problems. It was already jailbroken at the time I installed the app.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #108
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
I've got a jailbroken iPod Touch (on the 4.1 firmware) and yes, the BlueFire reader app freezes it. The app works fine, but once I exit from it, the iPod touch just freezes & I have to reboot. This didn't happen before I jailbroke it.

Edit: To clarify, my iPod Touch was also jailbroken previously but running the 4.0 firmware, no problems with BlueFire. It's only now with the 4.1 jailbroken that it freezes.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #109
xristy
Connoisseur
xristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:
Are you the xristy123 on iTunes that said it crashes? If that is true, can you please post here repro steps and if possible affected file?
Thanks
Yes I am xristy123 on iTunes.

In any event, three titles that fail for me are Serge Lang "Introduction to Differentiable Manifolds"; Michael Brin "Introduction to Dynamical Systems"; and Nicholas Manton "Topological Solitons". Each of these is a PDF that I purchased with Adobe DRM. Selecting either "Contents" or "Bookmarks" causes BFR to simply terminate.

On the other hand, Joseph Schumpeter "Ten Great Economists"; Eric Beinhocker "The Origin of Wealth: ..."; and Max Velmans "Understanding Consciousness" all work fine for both "Contents" and "Bookmarks". These are as the previous 3, purchased PDFs with Adobe DRM.

All six titles otherwise open fine and can be read and so on. It is simply the bookmarks and contents that fail on the first 3 and not the last 3.

ciao
xristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #110
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xristy View Post
Yes I am xristy123 on iTunes.

In any event, three titles that fail for me are Serge Lang "Introduction to Differentiable Manifolds"; Michael Brin "Introduction to Dynamical Systems"; and Nicholas Manton "Topological Solitons". Each of these is a PDF that I purchased with Adobe DRM. Selecting either "Contents" or "Bookmarks" causes BFR to simply terminate.

On the other hand, Joseph Schumpeter "Ten Great Economists"; Eric Beinhocker "The Origin of Wealth: ..."; and Max Velmans "Understanding Consciousness" all work fine for both "Contents" and "Bookmarks". These are as the previous 3, purchased PDFs with Adobe DRM.

All six titles otherwise open fine and can be read and so on. It is simply the bookmarks and contents that fail on the first 3 and not the last 3.

ciao
Thanks for the bug data.
-Micah
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #111
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadata View Post
I've got a jailbroken iPod Touch (on the 4.1 firmware) and yes, the BlueFire reader app freezes it. The app works fine, but once I exit from it, the iPod touch just freezes & I have to reboot. This didn't happen before I jailbroke it.

Edit: To clarify, my iPod Touch was also jailbroken previously but running the 4.0 firmware, no problems with BlueFire. It's only now with the 4.1 jailbroken that it freezes.
Thank you for the confirmation and the details. We'll look into this.
-Micah
Old 10-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #112
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadata View Post

Yes, this is essentially what happens to me. I can open the app and use it with no problems, but upon exiting, the iPhone freezes up and I have to reboot.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #113
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
Yes, this is essentially what happens to me. I can open the app and use it with no problems, but upon exiting, the iPhone freezes up and I have to reboot.
Just to add another data point, my iPhone 3GS with jailbroken 4.1 does not exhibit the app hang behavior.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:16 AM   #114
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Just to add another data point, my iPhone 3GS with jailbroken 4.1 does not exhibit the app hang behavior.
This is a tricky one. Might not be a quick fix.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #115
henkjobse
henkjobse began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I just signed up to confirm the above. I also have a jailbroken iPhone 4 (jailbroken with Limera1n btw) and I can read an ePub, but my phone freezes after trying to close the Bluefire program.

Although I'm happy with the fact that there finally is an app that can read DRM protected ePubs, i'm not happy with the freezes and cannot use Bluefire for now. Happy to see this bug fixed!
henkjobse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #116
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I have iBooks and Bluefire on an iPad, when I drag an ePub to the iPad via iTunes, which app gets the ePub?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #117
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I have iBooks and Bluefire on an iPad, when I drag an ePub to the iPad via iTunes, which app gets the ePub?
Depends where you drag them. If you drag them to the 'Books' tab of itunes they end up in iBooks. On the Apps tab, near the bottom, there is a Bluefire section (it will also list other apps that support this type of file transfer method if you have them). Dragging a book to this section will make it available to Bluefire.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #118
egarbacz
egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Boox Nova2
AutoScroll support

Hi, Micah I just started using the Bluefire reader based on reading this thread. One of the most important features for a reader application for me is the autoscroll feature. For some reason very few of the apps have this and for me it is a must have. Do you have any plans to add autoscrolling in a future release?
egarbacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:30 AM   #119
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
Is there plan to support bookmark syncing across device a la iBooks? Thanks.
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #120
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven
jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: All of 'em.
Micah -

RE: my comments about the highlighting UI: You're welcome. I've been an ebook advocate and PDF power user/developer since the mid 90s, so I'm definitely up on this stuff, and as you can tell, opinionated, too.

That said, I think you guys have done an excellent job with BFR. I've been able to move some DRM protected PDF files and books I bought for my 1st Sony reader, but never got around to reading because the PDF UI on a Sony reader leaves much to be desired.

Thank you for unlocking my previous investment on a platform much better suited for my purposes.

I bought my iPad on the hunch that it would be an ideal PDF reader, and BFR validates that hunch. My regards to the entire BFR development team.

Last edited by jeankap; 10-22-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Forgot to put my comments in context
jeankap is offline   Reply With Quote