Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-13-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
RonBurgandy
RonBurgandy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
How to get epubs to work on H2O (probably other Kobos too)

<Edit: It seems putting epubs on the Kobo H20 isn't as hard as I thought. My problems may have been mainly from getting the epubs from project gutenberg. See below posts for their comments.>

Hi, I'm new here. I just got my Kobo Aura H2O, and figured out how to get it working right with normal epubs - mine were downloaded free from www.gutenberg.org. This fixes issues of not being able to make margins smaller, and not being able to change line spacing.

*This does not tell you how to remove the page number at bottom of page. I like having it, so I never tried to remove it.

Here's what you do!

1. Download Calibre on your computer.

2. Download your epubs from gutenberg, etc. on to your computer.

3. Open Calibre, and click top left button "add books". Select where the epubs were downloaded to and click "open" (on a Mac).

4. Hit Command-P on Mac, or Control-P on a PC (I assume), or click Prefences in the top bar, then click Preferences again.

Under Import / Export, click "Saving books to disk"

In the top left, uncheck two items - "Save cover separately" and "Save metadata in separate OPF file"

Under "Save template", you'll see this:
{author_sort}/{title}/{title} - {authors}

change it to this:
{title} - {authors}

Click Apply.

Close Preferences window.

5. Select your epub, and click the "Convert books" button near the top left of the screen.

6. Click "Look and Feel" and change "Minimum line height" to 0%

Click "Page Setup" and change "Output Profile" to Kindle Voyage. This has the same screen resolution as the Aura H2O. (You're changing the top list, leave the list on the bottom the same, on "Default Input Profile").

If you're using a different version of the Kobo, I'd assume you'd select "Kobo Reader" or whichever device has the same resolution as yours.

In the same screen towards the bottom you'll see: "Margins". Change Top and Bottom from 5pt to 0. This gives you more reading room by reducing excess extra space at the top and bottom of the display. Leave Left and Right Margins the same, at 5pt. That way the text won't be right against the sides of the display.

Click "OK"

7. Wait for conversion to finish (Wait for it to say "Jobs: 0" instead of "Jobs:1" at bottom right of screen),

Select the epub you converted. Right click and select "Save to disk", "Save only EPUB format to disk in a single directory" and select where you would like to save it to. (dropbox, to a sd card, to your documents)

OR

Click the little down arrow next to the "Save to disk" button near the top of the screen. Click "Save only EPUB format to disk in a single directory" and select where you would like to save it to.

8. Done! Now just upload/transfer epub to your Kobo! Use your usb cable, or Dropbox, or use Calibre as a server and download from there.

This allows for epubs to be formatted nicely, AND you can change the margins, line spacing, etc.

<NOTE: EPUBS sometimes display little grey page numbers on the sides of the screen and cover up a word or two of text if your margins are small. Go to settings, reading settings, and uncheck the box that says "Show Adobe EPUB page numbers". Big thanks to robko for letting me know.>

I'd also like to thank these sources:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc.../t-158904.html
http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/getting...are-functions/

Last edited by RonBurgandy; 02-14-2015 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Fix mentioned for ADE page numbering issue
RonBurgandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:34 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgandy View Post
<NOTE: I found out that epubs, due to adobe ADE, sometimes display page numbers within the text itself of the books you read, either obscuring words or popping up in the middle of sentences.
There is a setting that allows you to turn off epub page numbers. Can't remember exactly where you find it, but it's there.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2015, 11:53 PM   #3
RonBurgandy

Thank you!! Robko, in reading settings you can turn off show Adobe EPUB numbers. I'll edit my post to mention it. Now I don't have to switch to kepubs!
Old 02-14-2015, 12:45 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgandy View Post
Hi, I'm new here. I just got my Kobo Aura H2O, and figured out how to get it working right with normal epubs - mine were downloaded free from www.gutenberg.org. This fixes issues of not being able to make margins smaller, and not being able to change line spacing.
You should have a look at the MR library. If the book is there, it will be a much better version than the PG version. And you shouldn't need the extra options in the convert
Quote:

4. Hit Command-P on Mac, or Control-P on a PC (I assume), or click Prefences in the top bar, then click Preferences again.

Under Import / Export, click "Saving books to disk"

In the top left, uncheck two items - "Save cover separately" and "Save metadata in separate OPF file"

Under "Save template", you'll see this:
{author_sort}/{title}/{title} - {authors}

change it to this:
{title} - {authors}

Click Apply.

Close Preferences window.
Personally, I always use "Send to device". For that, I set the save template in the device configuration.
Quote:
5. Select your epub, and click the "Convert books" button near the top left of the screen.

6. Click "Look and Feel" and change "Minimum line height" to 0%

Click "Page Setup" and change "Output Profile" to Kindle Voyage. This has the same screen resolution as the Aura H2O. (You're changing the top list, leave the list on the bottom the same, on "Default Input Profile").

If you're using a different version of the Kobo, I'd assume you'd select "Kobo Reader" or whichever device has the same resolution as yours.
I recommend selecting "Tablet" as the output profile. The only thing this does is set the maximum size for an image in the book. If the images are larger than the size specified in the profile, it is resized. But, this means if you have multiple devices, or upgrade to a higher resolution device, you will need to go back to the original and reconvert for the device. Using the Tablet output profile will mean the images are not resized and it is up to the device to do it. This is the better long term choice.
Quote:
In the same screen towards the bottom you'll see: "Margins". Change Top and Bottom from 5pt to 0. This gives you more reading room by reducing excess extra space at the top and bottom of the display. Leave Left and Right Margins the same, at 5pt. That way the text won't be right against the sides of the display.

Click "OK"

7. Wait for conversion to finish (Wait for it to say "Jobs: 0" instead of "Jobs:1" at bottom right of screen),

Select the epub you converted. Right click and select "Save to disk", "Save only EPUB format to disk in a single directory" and select where you would like to save it to. (dropbox, to a sd card, to your documents)

OR

Click the little down arrow next to the "Save to disk" button near the top of the screen. Click "Save only EPUB format to disk in a single directory" and select where you would like to save it to.

8. Done! Now just upload/transfer epub to your Kobo! Use your usb cable, or Dropbox, or use Calibre as a server and download from there.

This allows for epubs to be formatted nicely, AND you can change the margins, line spacing, etc.
Or use "Send to device" when it is connected.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:14 AM   #5
Athropos
Connoisseur
Athropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Aura HD
Or you could simply drag and drop the files onto the reader?

Except for a few files, I've never had issues while setting margin and line spacing in my epubs. Note that I have an HD, not an H2O, but since firmwares are essentially the same...

I'm trying to imagine what a newcomer would think seeing such a long post just to be able to read an epub on a Kobo.
Athropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2015, 03:03 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athropos View Post
Or you could simply drag and drop the files onto the reader?

Except for a few files, I've never had issues while setting margin and line spacing in my epubs. Note that I have an HD, not an H2O, but since firmwares are essentially the same...

I'm trying to imagine what a newcomer would think seeing such a long post just to be able to read an epub on a Kobo.
Yes, that's a good point. I am a heavy a calibre user, but, my usual response to a new user asking what to do is:

- Connect the ereader to the PC
- Copy a few books to the ereader
- Eject the ereader
- Read the books
- While you read, fiddle a little bit and think about what you like and don't like.

That should give a good basis to decide on the setup they like.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:52 AM   #7
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
If someone is interested, I have modified the ModifyEpub plugin to include some extra options to delete font-family, line-hight, align-left and align-justify. That does what the OP wants, but without a conversion.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Modify ePub.zip (66.8 KB, 201 views)
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:36 AM   #8
Brazen_NL
Slobbering Dog
Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2/iPad/iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
If someone is interested, I have modified the ModifyEpub plugin to include some extra options to delete font-family, line-hight, align-left and align-justify. That does what the OP wants, but without a conversion.
Very nice. Thanks!
Brazen_NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You do not want to remove font-family if there are embedded fonts without also removing the embedded fonts. That means removing the fonts from the CSS and also removing the fonts from the ePub as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:47 AM   #10
RonBurgandy

Thanks everyone, I'll try those things you mentioned. Maybe the problems I was having were mainly because I got the ebooks from gutenberg. I'll try the ones from the mobileread library.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:28 PM   #11
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
You should make a thread for that in the dev forum, I have been trying for ages to find a quick way to get rid of lineheight and unnecessary aligns for ages, and I'm sure I'm not alone with that.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #12
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo

Just drag and drop epubs or kepubs from your computer to your Kobo ereader. It is that simple.
This applies to regular epubs (DRM and DRM free). To read DRM epubs the Kobo device needs to be authorized with a Adobe Digital Editions Account.

Converting epubs to kepubs is a different question.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #13
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You do not want to remove font-family if there are embedded fonts without also removing the embedded fonts. That means removing the fonts from the CSS and also removing the fonts from the ePub as well.
Of course. But ModifyEpub already removes fonts. But it does not remove font-family. I have only listed what you could do in addition to what the plugin can do on it own. I added it as an extra option on purpose. Some people may use the remove font function of ModifyEpub in its current form. Remove font-family is added as an option right below remove fonts and should be used with it. Why remove font-family? Because the Kobo epub renderer does not change fonts, if there are font-families in the book css. Same with line-height.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post

Just drag and drop epubs or kepubs from your computer to your Kobo ereader. It is that simple.
This applies to regular epubs (DRM and DRM free). To read DRM epubs the Kobo device needs to be authorized with a Adobe Digital Editions Account.

Converting epubs to kepubs is a different question.
Better idea, use Calibre with the Kobo Utilities plugin. Also go see Apprentice Alf on how to remove the DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #15
dickloraine
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
You should make a thread for that in the dev forum, I have been trying for ages to find a quick way to get rid of lineheight and unnecessary aligns for ages, and I'm sure I'm not alone with that.
I'm no programmer and have nearly no knowledge about python. Luckily I have a basic understanding of programming and was able to understand where to enter what code (copy pasted and modified) . But I'm not 100% sure my regex captures all cases. Maybe I post in the plugin forum somewhen the next days if enough people find this useful. But someone who has a thorough understanding of regex and python should look over my added code.

Tags
epub, kobo, line, margins, spacing