Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Anyone have the Galaxy Note 8? Your thoughts.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
it's a great tablet but expensive. the extra inch makes a difference comparing to a 7 inch tablwt. it's size is just about the same as a sero 7 pro. I love mine and the sero 7 pro. I just bought my daughter a memo pad hd 7 and it seems to be a bit smoother at scrolling. bad thing is that until theb4.2.2 update roll out netflix doesnt work.

but the gn 8 is wonderful. I get 10hrs of reading web and book. movies are about 8 hrs.i keep brightness low.

gotta get back to cookong burgers flaring!
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
it's a great tablet but expensive. the extra inch makes a difference comparing to a 7 inch tablwt. it's size is just about the same as a sero 7 pro. I love mine and the sero 7 pro. I just bought my daughter a memo pad hd 7 and it seems to be a bit smoother at scrolling. bad thing is that until theb4.2.2 update roll out netflix doesnt work.

but the gn 8 is wonderful. I get 10hrs of reading web and book. movies are about 8 hrs.i keep brightness low.

gotta get back to cookong burgers flaring!
I have an iPad 3 now and a Kindle Fire. Costco has a sale on the Note 8 and I am so tempted.

Carol
Old 08-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Love it. The extra inch makes a big difference over a 7" tablet. Now I don't feel cramped, to heavy or to big. It's the goldilocks size, just right.

It is pricey at 399.. However none of the other tablets can do what this one can. True multitasking is huge but hardly the only thing. The S-pen can do so many things, like draw a box around anything you see. It can be a web page, it can be a book in your kindle app, does matter, it will either cut a any section you want or the whole screen, allow you to crop and paste into S-Note. From their you can annotate to your hearts content.

Precise noting, no more writing with fat rubber tip blunt pens. I loved my iPad but I always thought Jobs had it wrong about dissing the value of the pen. I liked my Note 10.1 for getting things done so much, that I also but the 8 for my in the go device. When I started up Note 8, and logged into all my accounts, all my S-Notes from 10.1 showed up on 8. So it has two way syncing that was a surprise bonus for me.

Not sure about the Netflix issue the other user mentioned, mine is smooth and Netflix works perfect fine on mine.

Hope that helps.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I have an iPad 3 now and a Kindle Fire. Costco has a sale on the Note 8 and I am so tempted.

Carol
I have the iPad 3, kindle Fire HD. Another thing I should have pointed out, I opened the same kindle book on the kindle and the Note. Holy crap, the Kindle Fire Hd has a really bright, harsh backlite. The note screen is much more subtle. Install flash on my Note and other then library lending from Amazon, it does everything and more my Kindle does. I'm selling my Kindle before the new ones come out while its still worth something. I have an e-ink Kindle for the library borrowing.

The kindle store through the android app for book shopping is the same experience. I have both Amazon's App Store and Of course the Playstore. Buy it before the 30th and you get 50gb of Dropbox space free for two years, and a 25 dollar Playstore credit.

Also if you want to hear from more people, there is a google plus group for the note 8.0..
Advert
Old 08-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Love it. The extra inch makes a big difference over a 7" tablet. Now I don't feel cramped, to heavy or to big. It's the goldilocks size, just right.

It is pricey at 399.. However none of the other tablets can do what this one can. True multitasking is huge but hardly the only thing. The S-pen can do so many things, like draw a box around anything you see. It can be a web page, it can be a book in your kindle app, does matter, it will either cut a any section you want or the whole screen, allow you to crop and paste into S-Note. From their you can annotate to your hearts content.

Precise noting, no more writing with fat rubber tip blunt pens. I loved my iPad but I always thought Jobs had it wrong about dissing the value of the pen. I liked my Note 10.1 for getting things done so much, that I also but the 8 for my in the go device. When I started up Note 8, and logged into all my accounts, all my S-Notes from 10.1 showed up on 8. So it has two way syncing that was a surprise bonus for me.

Not sure about the Netflix issue the other user mentioned, mine is smooth and Netflix works perfect fine on mine.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
I have the iPad 3, kindle Fire HD. Another thing I should have pointed out, I opened the same kindle book on the kindle and the Note. Holy crap, the Kindle Fire Hd has a really bright, harsh backlite. The note screen is much more subtle. Install flash on my Note and other then library lending from Amazon, it does everything and more my Kindle does. I'm selling my Kindle before the new ones come out while its still worth something. I have an e-ink Kindle for the library borrowing.

The kindle store through the android app for book shopping is the same experience. I have both Amazon's App Store and Of course the Playstore. Buy it before the 30th and you get 50gb of Dropbox space free for two years, and a 25 dollar Playstore credit.

Also if you want to hear from more people, there is a google plus group for the note 8.0..
Thanks for all the helpful info. I have a Kindle keyboard too. I like the size of an 8" tablet too. I love my iPad but sometimes I would like a smaller format and instead of getting another Fire I'm thinking of getting an Android Tablet.

Do you have a link for the Google Plus group?
Old 08-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Thanks for all the helpful info. I have a Kindle keyboard too. I like the size of an 8" tablet too. I love my iPad but sometimes I would like a smaller format and instead of getting another Fire I'm thinking of getting an Android Tablet.

Do you have a link for the Google Plus group?
Your welcome. I'm not just saying all this because its new. I've had the 10.1 a year this month. For some reason, I was using it or my iPad and they just felt so big and heavy. Usually that's not an issue, and the 7", I don't like surfing or typing text in a search box on those. IPad 3 is my second iPad and it may be my last if Apple doesn't get more functionality into it.

If you go to communities tab and type in the search box, galaxy Note, it will pull up all the Note groups. I'm in 10. And the 8.0 group. Lots of useful info in both can be applied to either device.

I'm hoping I get to upgrade 10.1 with a high res screen soon. It's been a year, its time for a refresh, makes me think Samsung may be waiting on key lime pie in October..
Old 08-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
the netflix issue I mentioned ia for my daughter's memo pad hd 7. my last post was sloppy since I was at the grill. back at it righr now prepping the charcoal for steaks. anyone got any tips on how to get your wife to learn how to cook, lol.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
the netflix issue I mentioned ia for my daughter's memo pad hd 7. my last post was sloppy since I was at the grill. back at it righr now prepping the charcoal for steaks. anyone got any tips on how to get your wife to learn how to cook, lol.
Ahhh, you know that saying, you didnt marry her for her cooking?
Actually I feel your pain, my hubby can barely boil water, and it was a big deal when he learned how to make ramen noodles for himself incase i wasnt here.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
No time for detailed post but will follow-up. But hands down the Samsung Note 8.0 is the most stable & useful computing tool I've bought since my last Sony Clie ca 2003. And I am on record with my disdain for Android. The N8 makes me forget about the OS and lets me focus on work.

More later...
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
You could always stop cooking and see if she gets the hint. Course I don't know how much you value your life.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #12
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I have had a note 8 for 2 weeks now, and so far I really enjoy it. I also have an ipad mini, but the note 8 is not a replacement, I use both a lot (my kids love the mini too so I wanted a tablet for me only). I especially enjoy the s-pen and its various apps.

There are some books that I either read for professional reasons, or that are packed with references that I want to keep, and Samsun's Readers Hub, although not a great reader app (it certainly does not compare to Moon Reader +), is fantastic when used with the S-pen. It keep all my notes and my highlights at hand.

I also love the S-note app, as well as the aNote HD.

I had not too good experiences with android until now on tablets, the Note 8 has reconciled us..

Last edited by aceflor; 08-19-2013 at 02:39 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I've been looking at the Note 8 as a replacement for my HTC. So far no other tablet has what I demand (except the Flyer and now the Note 8): a pen.

Problem is, my Flyer is still working perfectly and the Note 8 is a tad too expensive (still) to buy as a tablet to the side...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

for the OP the most complete & active forum(s) for the N8 are over at XDA:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2243

There are also forums at Android Central, Android Forums as well as a couple other less active forums. Someone mentioned a Google Group for the N8's but I can NEVER find groups within Google Groups so well, I dunno??
Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness

Before deciding about the N8, or any Note family device, learn about the buy reason to buy the device...the ACTIVE STYLUS. If hour you use the device will not appreciate superior stylus tech offered by a Wacom stylus &digitizer combo then maybe a different device is a better option. I find pretty much everyone who puts in a bit of time falls in love with the S-pen over using a capacitive only device.

The S-pen and it's associated apps, 3rd party or from Samsung, bring more to the table than can be addressed in a forum post. I have never taken to using onscreen keyboards and loved the old PDA's sodtook to using the S-pen instantly. Using S-Note is great. Lecture Notes is a great 3rd party option as well, But whatever on uses the S-pen moves notetaking and writing to another level. Watch this video to get an idea:

(don't be bothered that these are for the Note 10.1 as other than size they are pretty much the same in functionality)
[yt]yKYsYUNFFkg[/yt]
[yt]Zja4z9MJ3Qw[/yt]

Other vids to watch
[yt]9nh2NSLgaII[/yt]
[yt]Gau-vu1zq18[/yt]

The best way to understand why the Note's are so useful and so very far from overpriced is to watch them in use. There simply is too much to relate on the topics. The Note 8.0 is just the current most refined family member but they all offer pretty much the same functions.

One word about reviews in almost every unfavorable review the reviewer either fails to address the S-pen as anything other than a novelty to be dismissed out of hand or they dismiss it totally failing to consider a tablet as anything other than for watching video or playing games. It really is weird how many so-called professional reviewers completely miss the point.

Still watch as many YouTube vials about the Notes as you can then go somewhere and try one in person. without watching the videos I could see it as difficult to understand even if you are hands-on for 30 mins or more in the store.

Oh, for reading the Note 8.0 offers a "Reading Mode" which changes the color cast of the screen to the warm side to help reduce eyestrain. you can add up to 20 apps to the list of apps reading mode will affect.

I could ramble on and on but watch the vids then ask any questions to fill in the gaps.

Good Luck!! :sly: