Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
dacarlson
Enthusiast
dacarlson began at the beginning.

Device: K1,K2, KF
Whoa. I hate to jump in the middle of a fight or whatever but is this how you folks behave--cause I'll log right out. I think some other guy started this thread asking you guys to dial it back a bit and you went right on with your pissing contest without taking a breath. I had read all the threads before joining except this one (it wasn't started yet) and it seems that you're all pretty well behaved on most topics but Go Launcher lights a "Fire." In case you all didn't notice, this thread was started in regards to behavior over the launcher not about the launcher.

I'm retired and I run a clinic for folks who have trouble with their gadgets. Since November I have been working with the Kindle Fire. I don't root them (don't have the time) but a buddy of mine will do it if nothing else works. #1 problem is a root gone wrong. #2 seems to be the alternate launchers. All of them. Don't know why, don't know how. We've had to root a few KF's and depending on what the owner wanted, unroot and restore to virgin condition #3 alternate "wallpaper" apps. Don't know why don't know how. If it's bricked with that stuff on there and fine without it--you see where I'm going with this? #4 People who have never used anything like a tablet before and expect it to be like their phone or computer (no you can't make calls and no you can't put MS office on there). #5 got dropped, fell out of a car, got wet and sandy at the beach etc. #6 Senior citizens who read on them just fine but need a better understanding of all the other fun things it can do. Now these are MY experiences, who knows if you would have the same after "fixing" a hundred or so units. However, if you said your experiences were different, I would respect that and not tell you that you must be misinformed.

Guess what? The launchers are a problem. They are known to be a problem. They are not compatible with KF. I have no idea why and I don't need to know. Amazon said it to me every place they can online. They really don't care what you put on there that might screw it up (for now), they'll replace your unit. They expect people to play and try things out. Depending on how many units they have to fix or replace, they might be a bit tougher in the future. Before someone says time I'm talking out my posterior, I know all that stuff because I discussed it with Amazon, I did not get that info online from some 14 year old.

Last edited by dacarlson; 02-23-2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: bad grammar
dacarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #17
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Jessica, lovely setup on your Fire. What setup is that and what widgets?
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #18
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Obsessed, I wondered the same thing about a Launcher on top of another Launcher.
I havent use GL in quite a while and now think I will just uninstall it and Rotating wallpaper and circle launcher just to be safe until someone figures out a KF compatible alt launcher
Old 02-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #19
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
Jessica, lovely setup on your Fire. What setup is that and what widgets?
The images are from an iPhone theme I found and decided to edit to work for similar Android apps because I loved it that much .

Time and date: SiMi Clock Widget

Weather: Beautiful Widgets

Icons: Desktop VisualizeR (kinda like stickers, kinda lags every time you reboot, but it's better than having to do all the XML stuff, lets you just paste pictures and other image heavy junk too)

And then Brilliant Quotes & Quotations for flair.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
To the OP One thing I've learned about MR is you need a thick skins sometimes. I've not let it bother me that people do not believe me when I say Go! can cause problems. I post my experiences regardless because I know we have more lurkers here than posters and if it helps someones later down the road then it was worth it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #21
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
[QUOTE=dacarlson;1978059]Whoa. I hate to jump in the middle of a fight or whatever but is this how you folks behave--cause I'll log right out. I think some other guy started this thread asking you guys to dial it back a bit and you went right on with your pissing contest without taking a breath.

OMG you actually read my post without telling me I was wrong about GL AND posting incorrectly as well. Who are you? Where are you? Will you marry me?
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #22
salsaguy
Addict

I can say one thing for sure, removing Rotating Wallpaper sped up my Fire by 10 times. I was hating my Fire because when I hit apps it would take 20-60 seconds to load all my list of apps (I have near 150 on my Fire). Sometimes it would never load up and I had just the blank grey shelves.

EDIT: I thought it was just because I had too many apps installed that was causing it but I gues not and the Fire CAN handle a lot of apps to refresh the list quickly it seems.

As soon as I removed Rotating Wallpaper its back to normal speed now

I still have Go Launcher install.

Maybe the memory load using Go Launcher AND Rotating Wallpaper was too much and is causing the crashes because if RW slowed down my fire by that much that has to be part of the issue

Last edited by salsaguy; 02-24-2012 at 01:45 AM. Reason: added EDIT section
Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
I can say one thing for sure, removing Rotating Wallpaper sped up my Fire by 10 times. I was hating my Fire because when I hit apps it would take 20-60 seconds to load all my list of apps (I have near 150 on my Fire). Sometimes it would never load up and I had just the blank grey shelves.

As soon as I removed Rotating Wallpaper its back to normal speed now

I still have Go Launcher install.

Maybe the memory load using Go Launcher AND Rotating Wallpaper was too much and is causing the crashes because if RW slowed down my fire by that much that has to be part of the issue
Very possible. I had it installed when my Fire refused to start up past the logo. I can tell you my Fire I use now is super quick and I am very cautious what apps goes on there. I don't test apps at all anymore.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #24
dacarlson
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Cuda View Post
I've been watching those two threads myself and even participated in one of them. I agree on the direction those threads are going. You are not alone in your observation. Hopefully they will get back to being more helpful and less critical.
It appears they won't be getting back to being more helpful. We have one or two people who need to feel like they are the only people who add any value to the discussion when in actuality,their behavior subtracts from the discussion. Ah well, its the internet.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #25
dacarlson
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Blossom;1978129]To the OP One thing I've learned about MR is you need a thick skins sometimes. I've not let it bother me that people do not believe me when I say Go! can cause problems. I post my experiences regardless because I know we have more lurkers here than posters and if it helps someones later down the road then it was worth it.[/QU.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:07 AM   #26
dacarlson
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=dacarlson;1978159]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
To the OP One thing I've learned about MR is you need a thick skins sometimes. I've not let it bother me that people do not believe me when I say Go! can cause problems. I post my experiences regardless because I know we have more lurkers here than posters and if it helps someones later down the road then it was worth it.[/QU.

OOPS. Maybe I'm crazy but they dumped on you and beej because their experiences weren't the same as yours. I expect there are:
1. A few know it alls
2. A few people using GO don't want to take it off (not that anyone asked them to) so they are throwing their lot in with the folks who don't believe it
3. Some people who just like a good argument.
4. Some people who have absolute no idea what anyone is talking about.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #27
dacarlson
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=beej231;1978132]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacarlson View Post
Whoa. I hate to jump in the middle of a fight or whatever but is this how you folks behave--cause I'll log right out. I think some other guy started this thread asking you guys to dial it back a bit and you went right on with your pissing contest without taking a breath.

OMG you actually read my post without telling me I was wrong about GL AND posting incorrectly as well. Who are you? Where are you? Will you marry me?
California but already married. Sorry. I usually do read posts before I respond. I even take a second to think about what the person is trying to say. I never start out assuming they are wrong. And if they ARE wrong, I don't dump or try to impress them that I know SO much more. I'm 67 years old. I gave up crap like that before I was out of my 30's.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:13 AM   #28
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
I am obviously one of few who never had any problems with GO (even if only one out of approx 30 voted to have problems with GO). As far as I have followed the discussions it seems more a problem of a combination of GO and Rotating Wallpaper, maybe something else.
Of course Amazon modded the 2.3 Android significantly, but at the end it is a 2.3. You can change languages to any 2.3 has and activate other 2.3 stuff as well, it is just hidden not removed. And with the combination of a modded Amazon 2.3 and open source Apps, some better, some worse, you can run into trouble.
Last point, I do not think it is correct to talk about a launcher running on another launcher (pls correct me if I am wrong). They are running in parallel and you can choose, which one you like to run. I deleted silk and the original launcher in the system/app and the Fire is still running properly. What is not running properly afterwards are Amazon Apps because most of them depend on each other.

And I deeply hope, that my arguments are presented better as in other post concerning this topic and causing not any more stomach ache to anybody.

And to dacarlson, in which of your 4 categories do you think you are yourself?

Last edited by diba; 02-24-2012 at 02:20 AM.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:21 AM   #29
dacarlson
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Pretty! I totally agree with you. I took a chance and now I decided it's not worth it. I mean what if the next firmware update happens to cause more issues with Go! That was my biggest decision to stay away from other launchers. Mine happen after a firmware update. So I'm just being overly cautious.
I think most people who had their Kindle bricked would stay away from the alternate launchers. It may or may not have been Go that did it but why take that chance? Call me crazy, but it actually seems reasonable.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 AM   #30
dacarlson
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
I am obviously one of few who never had any problems with GO (even if only one out of approx 30 voted to have problems with GO). As far as I have followed the discussions it seems more a problem of a combination of GO and Rotating Wallpaper, maybe something else.
Of course Amazon modded the 2.3 Android significantly, but at the end it is a 2.3. You can change languages to any 2.3 has and activate other 2.3 stuff as well, it is just hidden not removed. And with the combination of a modded Amazon 2.3 and open source Apps, some better, some worse, you can run into trouble.
Last point, I do not think it is correct to talk about a launcher running on another launcher (pls correct me if I am wrong). They are running in parallel and you can choose, which one you like to run. I deleted silk and the original launcher in the system/app and the Fire is still running properly. What is not running properly afterwards are Amazon Apps because most of them depend on each other.

And I deeply hope, that my arguments are presented better as in other post concerning this topic and causing not any more stomach ache to anybody.

And to dacarlson, in which of your 4 categories do you think you are yourself?
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. If you are asking about the poll categories, I removed GL from my Fire after I had a problem. On several occasions the fire wouldn't wake from sleep or start after being shut down. I am also the person who had the vertical lines where the bookshelves should have been as well as books with no covers. I have tried quite a few other launchers since because like lots of folks, I don't like the bookshelves. I'm still trying other launchers out on MY Fire.
At my gadgets clinic, I removed it from 17 Fires after a problem occurred for a variety of reasons. I tell the owners that they are welcome to try it again and come back to see me. 9 have been back although 2 just had dead batteries.