Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #31
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm not sure Amazon really needs now or needed to lower the price on the KF to tell the truth in the first place.

Once B&N makes an announced first, Amazon's got them! Just look what happened with their price on the KF when B&N announced $249 for the NT. AND regardless of what features the KF lacked versus the NT, it didn't matter! Cause I bet even if the KF was $249, it wouldn't have matter especially with the apps available for the NT.

Last edited by robertc88; 03-02-2012 at 11:04 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #32
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
I'm not sure Amazon really needs now or needed to lower the price on the KF to tell the truth in the first place.

Once B&N makes an announced first, Amazon's got them! Just look what happened with their price on the KF when B&N announced $249 for the NT. AND regardless of what features the KF lacked versus the NT, it didn't matter! Cause I bet even if the KF was $249, it wouldn't have matter especially with the apps available for the NT.
It's just a matter of personal preference. For some, the $50 extra of the NT are worth it, for others, it isn't. I personally find the extra memory, extra storage, SD card support and HD Netflix worth the $50.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #33
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
It's just a matter of personal preference. For some, the $50 extra of the NT are worth it, for others, it isn't. I personally find the extra memory, extra storage, SD card support and HD Netflix worth the $50.
HD netflix? The nook doesn't support HD video.

Quote:
Instead, he said, the Nook Tablet really does do something useful: it accepts high-definition streams from Netflix, and converts its quality downward to fit the Nook’s 1024-by-600-pixel screen. It’s no longer high definition — but it’s better resolution than what you’d get from its rival, the Amazon’s Kindle Fire. The Fire starts with Netflix’s standard-definition video feed, and blows it up to fit its 1024-by-600-pixel screen.
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...-is-corrected/

I don't see the point in wasting bandwith streaming HD just so it can down convert the video back to SD. Netflix looks great on the Kindle Fire.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #34
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
HD netflix? The nook doesn't support HD video.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...-is-corrected/

I don't see the point in wasting bandwith streaming HD just so it can down convert the video back to SD.
Netflix on the NT is of higher quality than on the Nook Color or the Kindle Fire. It is not true HD (720p or 1080p), but the difference between SD on the color and "HD" on the tablet is like night and day.

Quote:
Netflix looks great on the Kindle Fire.
I suggest you don't compare against the NT then, you may be disappointed.

KF on the left, NT on the right.

Edit: add picture.

Last edited by afv011; 03-02-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #35
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Guess we will see how the $199 NT does against the KF in the coming months. B&N is somewhat competing against itself as well IMHO with their two tablets a difference of $50 but if the second brings sales as a result, then I suppose more power to them for going that route.

We will all expect an announcement forthcoming from Amazon. We'll see how that pans out as well. Like I said elsewhere, I'm not down for a larger tablet.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #36
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Netflix on the NT is of higher quality than on the Nook Color or the Kindle Fire. It is not true HD (720p or 1080p), but the difference between SD on the color and "HD" on the tablet is like night and day.

I suggest you don't compare against the NT then, you may be disappointed.

KF on the left, NT on the right.

Edit: add picture.
I've seen that old pic before. Netflix on the kindle fire looks nothing like that. Look more like a bad kindle fire screen.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #37
hn333
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Guess we will see how the $199 NT does against the KF in the coming months. B&N is somewhat competing against itself as well IMHO with their two tablets a difference of $50 but if the second brings sales as a result, then I suppose more power to them for going that route.

We will all expect an announcement forthcoming from Amazon. We'll see how that pans out as well. Like I said elsewhere, I'm not down for a larger tablet.
At the end of the day no one cares about the nook.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #38
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
I might have agreed with that assessment had I not seen an article a couple of weeks ago that indicated the Nook Tablet was selling at a rate of 1:2 vs the KF. (Sorry, can't recall the source but I've been in the market research business and I remember thinking it was a credible source.)

Assuming for the sake of argument it's true, there have been many more Nook Tablets sold than I would have guessed.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #39
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
I might have agreed with that assessment had I not seen an article a couple of weeks ago that indicated the Nook Tablet was selling at a rate of 1:2 vs the KF. .......
Assuming for the sake of argument it's true, there have been many more Nook Tablets sold than I would have guessed.

I personally don't care how many nooks,samsung or Ipads are sold as I dont judge the value of My user experience with my device by how much money/sales
some other Manufacture is making with theirs.

I have ready more books between December 2011 and Feb 2012 than I have read in the last 30 years.

I have even restarted my childhood hobby of collecting comic books as they have all gone digital.
This device has changed how I interact with My personal Data& entertainment
I am running Go launcher with no problems
My device is not even recognizable as the amazon brand
and I admit to liking the curious stares of my fellow grocery shopper as I check off items with my stylus in my food shopping app.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #40
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
I admit to liking the curious stares of my fellow grocery shopper as I check off items with my stylus in my food shopping app.
I've thought about taking my 7" tablet grocery shopping, but I'm afraid I'd drop it. I have several shopping apps that allow sending the lists to email. I do that and then take the printed list to the grocery store.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #41
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
My dad and I just usually take pictures of the pantry and refrigerator with our iPhones and look over them as we're shopping. "Do you see any sausages/ham anywhere? How many eggs are left? Does the ketchup bottle look full to you?"

It actually works very well as an alternative to the lists. I wouldn't take a tablet in there though.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #42
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
My dad and I just usually take pictures of the pantry and refrigerator with our iPhones and look over them as we're shopping. "Do you see any sausages/ham anywhere? How many eggs are left? Does the ketchup bottle look full to you?"

It actually works very well as an alternative to the lists. I wouldn't take a tablet in there though.
Too funny.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #43
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi I am using the free "out of milk " app from Amazon
Since I am one of those people that follows that same dietary habits I tend to buy the same foods every two weeks.

A nice feature of my grocery shopping app is that once you build a master list of items that you always purchase it is just a matter enabling them and disabling them for each trip as it keeps a running tally so you know exactly how much you are going to be spending.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #44
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Hi I am using the free "out of milk " app from Amazon
I have Out of Milk (Amazon Appstore) and OI Shopping List (Android Market) on my tablets. Out of Milk is also available at Android Market here.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #45
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
That might or might not be true, but it can't be denied that, thanks to B&N, we have cheaper eInk readers (they were the first to lower prices, and were followed by Amazon), and it could be argued that the KF is a response to the NC. So, for the sake of all consumers, I hope B&N keep churning out good devices and pushing everybody else to follow suite.