Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Kindle Fire as a nighttime reader?

The Fire from Wal Mart for the effective price of a refurb Nook Color is hard to resist.

How does it work as a bedtime reader in a pitch black room in night mode? I remember reading here that the default kindle reader was too bright on its lowest settings and people were using various dimmer apps, which can be hit or miss.

Has the reading app been updated so it's dimmer? If not, is there a reliable dimmer app?

How do ePub readers fare with the dimming? I generally use Cool Reader. I know there are plenty of Montano evangalists in these parts-- and I might consider forking out 8 bucks if it really works perfectly.

Not looking to root. I'm only okay with relying on a dimmer app if it works perfectly.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Seems like a great deal at the price, but this would be its primary use for me, so I don't want to compromise in this area.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
The Fire from Wal Mart for the effective price of a refurb Nook Color is hard to resist.

How does it work as a bedtime reader in a pitch black room in night mode?
I can't speak to the Kindle Fire in particular (it hasn't been released in Canada yet), but I bought a Kobo Vox which is very similar (same size screen, etc.) tablet-based e-reader. I read in bed for hours every night and absolutely love it. No eye-strain problems, or problems of any kind. However, I do hold the Vox at about a 45 degree angle so that I'm not looking directly into the light; not sure if that's necessary, but it doesn't hurt either (it's screen has very little glare).
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My wife has no complaints about the brightness, but your eyes may differ. I find the white on black text option to be especially easy, but I really don't use the fire for books.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
yogibare143
Tolkien Rules!
yogibare143 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3, kindle Fire
I also use white on black option. have no problems reading in dark using built in Brightness control.
yogibare143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
I frequently read at night with no lights on. I also find the white on black to be my favorite. If you find the native brightness too bright as I do, the ScreenDim app is excellent and allows you a simple and much broader control of the brightness levels. (the developer has already provided two updates which have improved the app significantly).
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2012, 02:38 AM   #6
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
I prefer the black on tan for reading and yes i use the great screendim app (paid ver)
The white on black font is way too bright for me.
with screendim you can setup a day setting and night reading setting.
I use the Kindle app as well as Mantano and Adilko

Last edited by salsaguy; 02-09-2012 at 02:39 AM. Reason: typeo
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
It's good for bedtime reading. But, then again, I also use my little head-lamp and read on the regular Kindle and nobody (my ladyperson) gets upset.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
The lowest brightness setting is too much for me too. I use the 'Display Brightness' app (free but not in the Amazon store) which lets me set it lower and the only problem I have with it is sometimes accidentally activating the control, but it can be repositioned to a less-likely-to-hit spot.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Kindle Fire + Screen Dimm app makes for perfect night time reading. You choose to use the Kindle reading app that is built in or you can install your choice of epub eReader like Mantano.

Screen Dimm is a must for the Fire. I use it even when it's not night time.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Ditto to what Blossom said; the default is too bright for me even using white on black, but using Screen Dim to get it down to about 2.5% makes it perfect.

Overall using the KF with a backlit screen is easier for me for night reading than an e-ink screen with book light or nightstand lamp. Much better for marital relations as well
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Ditto to what Blossom said; the default is too bright for me even using white on black, but using Screen Dim to get it down to about 2.5% makes it perfect.

Overall using the KF with a backlit screen is easier for me for night reading than an e-ink screen with book light or nightstand lamp. Much better for marital relations as well
It took my hubby awhile to get use to it now he never complains when I am reading with it. I think having Screen Dimm is a big factor in that. I also keep mine a 2.5% I read on Kindle app using Sepia theme and Mantano using a grey background with both fonts being Trebuchet. I found Trebuchet comes with the Nook app so I installed the Nook app and then moved the font over to Mantano using File Expert then uninstalled the Nook app.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
thanks for all the info, everyone. Sounds like a winner with the screen dim app.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #13
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
One of the best features of ScreenDim is the independent fine tuning available for brightness and contrast. Worthwhile both for nighttime reading and battery management.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
I prefer the black on tan for reading and yes i use the great screendim app (paid ver)
The white on black font is way too bright for me.
with screendim you can setup a day setting and night reading setting.
I use the Kindle app as well as Mantano and Adilko
I also like the black on sepia option (which is meant to look like reading the pages of a weathered old book). I read that way in both Kobo and Overdrive.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
+1 for ScreenDim
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote