Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
phunnylinguist
Enthusiast
phunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
inexperienced epub-to-Kindle question

First, pardon my naiveté.

Nook user/Calibre donator here who in the past has done some very basic rtf-to-epub conversions to load in my Nook HD.

I’m also seriously considering the purchase of the most current Kindle Paperwhite (version 2?) but am concerned for the more than a few dozen epubs saved both on the Nook and in Calibre.

Buying ebooks from Amazon in whichever their default format will be OK with me; I don’t anticipate the need to read them in any other device.

The questions I have are: would I be able to convert the pubs to either mobi or azw using Calibre, without the use of third-party plugins and expect to be able to read them on a Paperwhite?
phunnylinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunnylinguist View Post
The questions I have are: would I be able to convert the pubs to either mobi or azw using Calibre, without the use of third-party plugins and expect to be able to read them on a Paperwhite?
Yes, you would.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yes, you would.
+1, provided that the ePubs in question are those you converted to ePub from RTF. Those conversions, and any other ePubs that aren't burdened with DRM, can be converted in calibre to either MOBI or AZW3 without any additional plugins.

In general, if the conversions are for use in a PW, or other recent Kindle, then AZW3 is generally the preferable output format. The older MOBI doesn't support many of the formatting options in ePub while the newer AZW3 supports almost all.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
phunnylinguist
Enthusiast
phunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of it

Thanks mbovenka and dwig for your responses.

A couple more fine-tuned questions, if I may?

Out of the many epubs I'd like to be able to read on the proposed Kindle Paperwhite are a number purchased through Barnes & Noble. These are the ones I was most curious about being able to view and read on a different device.

First, should I presume that prior B&N epub purchases contain any technologies designed to limit their use? May I expect to be able to blithely convert these to a readable Amazon format using Calibre or would they require third-party assistance to remove any existing proprietary restrictions prior to said conversion?

All I'm after is to be able to retain and read volumes previously and legally purchased for one device on another.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunnylinguist View Post
Thanks mbovenka and dwig for your responses.

A couple more fine-tuned questions, if I may?

Out of the many epubs I'd like to be able to read on the proposed Kindle Paperwhite are a number purchased through Barnes & Noble. These are the ones I was most curious about being able to view and read on a different device.

First, should I presume that prior B&N epub purchases contain any technologies designed to limit their use? May I expect to be able to blithely convert these to a readable Amazon format using Calibre or would they require third-party assistance to remove any existing proprietary restrictions prior to said conversion?

All I'm after is to be able to retain and read volumes previously and legally purchased for one device on another.
You will need to strip the DRM from the B&N eBooks before you can convert them. Do a Google search for Apprentice Alf. We cannot give you any more help here. But over there you can ask all the questions you want/need.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
phunnylinguist
Enthusiast

Thanks for reinforcing what I'd suspected to be the case, JSWolf.

Metaphorically speaking, I kinda figured that Ford parts shouldn't be expected to work in a Chevy.

I've visited Alfs' site and had downloaded some plugins while there but hadn't made the time to familiarize myself with how they work. I also did not presume to discover those details on this site.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:38 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
DRM tends to be a characteristic of the publisher of said book, rather than the retailer. Although retailers will implement it differently.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, epub, kindle 2