Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #16
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedragon View Post
I have heard from a B&N associate that the next update MAY be coming in about a month with an attempted fix for some wifi issues with the Nook.
Any word on where we can find more information about the update?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #17
icedragon
icedragon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Any word on where we can find more information about the update?

Unfortunately not. I tried doing a Google search this morning and found nothing. The associate I talked to, well, I had been having problems where I work--which is a large wifi hotspot--of connecting to our company's wifi, and he had been looking into it for me. He explained that it was because any wifi connection that has a terms and conditions page, which my company does, the Nook has problems connecting to. He said that it's something B&N is aware of and is working on a fix for for the next update. I asked if he knew when that would be, as he said he had seen some information on this update, and he just said that he was guessing, but maybe in about a month. You can take that for what it is...it could just be a bunch of hot air, or it could be something coming sometime this summer, or by the end of the month. I am optimistic about it, though.
icedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #18
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedragon View Post
Hi, I'm new in these forums, and I just want to say, I love my Nook!

However, I do have two main complaints relating to my In-store experience--and wonder if anyone else has these problems as well.

1) At one B&N, it can take me up to 5-10 minutes before my Nook recognizes that I'm In Store (the other B&N in town seems to be a lot quicker, so I wonder if it has to do with the one store's connection? Though my wife also has a Nook, and she seems to be able to connect a lot faster in that store than I can).

I have heard from a B&N associate that the next update MAY be coming in about a month with an attempted fix for some wifi issues with the Nook.
My connect time is just a minute or two in the store. That's odd that your wife's connect time is faster but I don't know why one nook would work differently than another.

I haven't tried the read in store feature. I'm going to have to find a shortish book and see how it works.

When I was in my BN yesterday for this weeks book code I saw that they finally got in some covers and accessories. They had a pretty good selection, too.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #19
CatsMeow
CatsMeow began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & K3
I'm not impressed with the in-store experience but that's probably because my local B&N is most likely the runt of the litter when it comes to the B&N brick-and-mortar stores. There's no cafe and there are very few places to even sit and read. Those few places are usually already occupied, so I stand in the middle of the aisle to read my Nook. It's simply not a comfortable reading experience. When I go, I just check to see what the coupons are and leave as quickly as possible. So far, I haven't been interested at all in anything that was offered on Friday: I don't read People magazine, I find the little blurbettes to be quite boring, I might eventually use the 10% off coupon and I'd try a seven layer bar but without a cafe that's impossible... In fact, since I need to run errands in that direction today, I'll probably just pop in for this week's free eBook coupon and skip driving to B&N on Friday. I'm so unimpressed with the in-store experience that I probably won't even go out of my way when I'm travelling to try it out.
CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #20
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
yeah I hear ya. I have two near my place and we have one that is like that and the other one is like a Barnes and Noble Heaven.

but if you are in an area that does have a good B&n you should give it another shot, it's great.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #21
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just got back, rainy out here so it was a great day to go. The Starbucks cafe special is now a Free Large Coffee, the coupon is a 10% off and the More In Store e-book specials were most $1.99 to about $3.99 on Blockbuster Movies that were based on books.

continued where I left off last in the Dark Tower II.

Did I mention how much I love this feature?
Old 06-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #22
iBeth
Enthusiast
iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebw1150, nook, kindle oasis, kobo libra2
I love the idea of going to BN. So far, the reality has not been quite as good as I'd hoped, because the store is so crowded.

I've been back 4 times since buying my nook. Three of the times there was NO place to sit, not even on the tiny kid furniture. I wasn't going to try to juggle free coffee + nook while standing in the aisle, so I left after a cursory look at the deals. Once I used the 10% to buy a gift for someone, though.

The 4th time I was there for help because my nook had completely frozen. The store exchanged it for a new nook, which I then had to take home, charge up, register, etc., so I didn't even try to linger.

I intend to keep returning though. There's gotta be a chair available one of these days, and then I can get my free coffee and try out the "read in store" feature. I do want BN to stay crowded so that it makes lots of money . . . I just want there to be room for me.
iBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #23
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeth View Post
I love the idea of going to BN. So far, the reality has not been quite as good as I'd hoped, because the store is so crowded.

I've been back 4 times since buying my nook. Three of the times there was NO place to sit, not even on the tiny kid furniture. I wasn't going to try to juggle free coffee + nook while standing in the aisle, so I left after a cursory look at the deals. Once I used the 10% to buy a gift for someone, though.

The 4th time I was there for help because my nook had completely frozen. The store exchanged it for a new nook, which I then had to take home, charge up, register, etc., so I didn't even try to linger.

I intend to keep returning though. There's gotta be a chair available one of these days, and then I can get my free coffee and try out the "read in store" feature. I do want BN to stay crowded so that it makes lots of money . . . I just want there to be room for me.
yeah ours can get a bit crazy too and it does get a little frustrating when you can't find something, My trick is to go to the Starbucks Cafe' and redeem what ever Nook Freebie they are running, go certains sections that I like to browse through and stalk out the areas like I'm waiting for the lions to leave the dead carcass, you can usually get a good read (no pun intended) on people's body language and such to see if they are all day campers or just killing a little bit of time.

But I am fortunate to have one near me that is very large and has a ton of spots, so I don't normally run into that situation all too often. But it does happen on occasion. Especially rainy days.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #24
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Not what it should be

There's not much uniformity in stores. Each one seems to have its own personality.

Both B&N's near my home have removed almost all of their chairs, so the Read In Store isn't as useful as it should be. I was in one of the stores, sitting on the floor in the open area where the chairs used to be (along with a bunch of other folks), when a B&N employee came through and told us we couldn't sit on the floor. Since there was no place else to sit, I left.

One of the stores near me was completely confused by the recent coupon promotion for free e-books. They threw out the coupons, thinking that they weren't any good. All they had left were Week 5 coupons that had just arrived, and they were handing those out even though it was still Week 4 at the time.

I have to say that the More In Store feature seems to be a waste. Mainly author interviews and a few short bits by some authors. A lot of the time the items won't even download, or if they do download they disappear when you leave the store.

I've been to a few NOOK events at the stores, and they've been pretty disappointing. They weren't helpful to non-owners considering a NOOK, and weren't helpful to owners who already had a NOOK.

There's a lot of opportunity here for B&N to build a dedicated customer base, and so far they're not really taking advantage.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:14 AM   #25
icedragon
icedragon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post
There's not much uniformity in stores. Each one seems to have its own personality.
I have noticed that--especially with connection time. Although I will say the last time I was in the B&N where it usually takes me so long to connect, I was able to connect immediately.

Quote:
I have to say that the More In Store feature seems to be a waste. Mainly author interviews and a few short bits by some authors. A lot of the time the items won't even download, or if they do download they disappear when you leave the store.
I have never had a problem with the More in Store disappearing once you leave, or any difficulty in downloading these features. Are you sure you're not confusing the Read in Store with the More in Store features? Read in Store will disappear once you leave, but the next time you're in the store, you will be able to pick up where you left off last time you were there. I do agree that most of those brief articles are pointless, and I doubt I'd go far to a B&N in order to read them, but I work a block away from B&N, so it's easy to just pop in and get them. The article about the amish road trip was quite amusing, though.
icedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #26
boswd
Banned

Quote:

Both B&N's near my home have removed almost all of their chairs, so the Read In Store isn't as useful as it should be. I was in one of the stores, sitting on the floor in the open area where the chairs used to be (along with a bunch of other folks), when a B&N employee came through and told us we couldn't sit on the floor. Since there was no place else to sit, I left.

One of the stores near me was completely confused by the recent coupon promotion for free e-books. They threw out the coupons, thinking that they weren't any good. All they had left were Week 5 coupons that had just arrived, and they were handing those out even though it was still Week 4 at the time.

I've been to a few NOOK events at the stores, and they've been pretty disappointing. They weren't helpful to non-owners considering a NOOK, and weren't helpful to owners who already had a NOOK.

There's a lot of opportunity here for B&N to build a dedicated customer base, and so far they're not really taking advantage.

It's too bad, it really comes down to Branch Management.
Some managers just don't have a clue and that is sad..

I guess I'm pretty fortunate, the two near me are fantastic, pleanty of chairs and couches, the cafe's are fairly spacious, the Nook stand usually has an attendant.

The best thing to do is lodge a complaint not only to the branch manager but to Barnes and Noble themselves.