Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
EternalCyclist
EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: KT
Repartitioning Kindle Filesystem

In order to have a separate partition for Debian, I tried to repartition mmcblk0p4.
* umount /mnt/us
* umount /mnt/base-us
* fdisk /dev/mmcblk0p4
** deleting partition 4
** adding new extended partition
** adding new partition for us
** adding new partition for Debian
** writing partition table
Then I wanted to modify /etc/fstab. I should have looked at it first. /mnt/base-us is loop-mounted and this was done in an upstart-script which calls lipc* (can't remember the details - it was late last night).
As I could not find a way to tell the system to mount mmcblk0p5 instead of p4, I restored the original partition table and reflashed mmcblk0p4 (because it was damaged by fdisk). I had some troubles to get the Kindle working again. Could not figure out why - maybe low batteries.

Now it is working again.
Keeping the partition numbering the same seems to be necessary to get Kindle running after repartitioning. Therefore I am thinking about deleting the diags partition putting debian there and leave the rest unchanged. Maybe I am lucky and can boot into Debian without much effort - so to get my "rescue" partition back.

One problem might be the changed file size of mmcblk0p4. I hope the Kindle system recognizes that and handles it correctly.

Any suggestions? Comments?
EternalCyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Besides tweaking some upstart jobs, you'll probably have to wrestle the volumd (the daemon handling part of the whole userstore handling, especially the USBMS export) settings to point to the right stuff. AFAIR, the settings are spread around between upstart scripts/resources and the kdb.

(So, that's a resounding 'no' on the system automagically handling a different part name/size ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Knc1 has the information required (I think) more or less now to resize the drives.

the rescue partition is useful for - well, rescuing, but I guess that is up to you.

Oddly I was thinking almost exactly the same thing when I read this (that I would like to amend rootfs size),

Many of the armel applications are happy to run on FAT with a bit of re-factoring.
There is already an X. and supporting libs are easily built via buildroot.

what is it about Debian that you really want? Packages manager perhaps would be cool
I am interested to know.

anyways those are my thoughts. KNC1 might know.

Last edited by twobob; 10-30-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: (that I would like to amend rootfs size)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The u-boot firmware does not "do extended partitions" -
At least not the u-boot build in the early Kindle images I have looked at.

**BUT**, it should be possible to move the partition boundary between p3 and the huge p4, giving you a larger /usr/local (or /var/local - I forget its name at the moment).
**should** nobody has tried it and reported back -
Here is your chance to grab some "Bragging Rights" (or Karma).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
p4 has an [embedded] partition table on it's own. You can edit this table, shrink userstore parition (it's a single partition embedded in p4) from the end, then add a new primary partition into freed space of p4. Then create a loopback device for this new partition and mount this new loopback device (just as it's done with existing userstore parition).

Some additional tasks will be not so easy, but not so hard either. Take a look at /etc/upstart/userstore, /usr/sbin/mntus and /var/local/system/mntus.params.

Honestly, I can't say anything more clear. I didn't try it. It could be tedious. But via this way you'll get separate partition with keeping userstore partition (read: without disabling capability of exporting it through USB) and little (if any) changing of original KT configuration files. Also you can get much more size comparing with replacing of diags.

Good luck!
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@eureka: Might be a better idea than mine. Also, should have much less impact on the over-all system (just be sure to leave the current partition as the first entry in the table).

Plus, it does not need to be formatted FAT.
Just do everything in the same block size increments the Kindle uses (8096bytes) - which also maintains erase block alignment.

Last edited by knc1; 10-30-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:10 AM   #7
EternalCyclist
EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.

If had read Eureka's post in time, I would have tried that. But I was already in troubles at that time. "Was" because now it works - well, almost.

What I did up to now
I kept the diags partition and just resized and moved mmcblk0p4.

Save the beginning of /dev/mmcblk0.
.. assuming that there is the partition table and other data I might have to reflash sometimes.
Spoiler:
Code:
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 | nc myhost
I actually forgot to set the count option and just killed the pipe after a few seconds.

Unmount mmcblk0p4
Spoiler:
Code:
unmount /mnt/base-us
Trying to unmount /mnt/us failed with "device busy". Therefore I killed the fsp process.
Luckily it just died and did not restart.

Repartition
Using fdisk I moved the start of /dev/mmcblk0p4. Moving up the start instead of moving down the end is neccessary, as I want to resize /dev/mmcblk0p2 in order to keep partition numbering the same.

The new partition table:
Spoiler:
Quote:
fdisk -l

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 3909 MB, 3909091328 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 119296 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 64 * 512 = 32768 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/mmcblk0p1 * 1025 12224 358400 83 Linux
/dev/mmcblk0p2 12225 14272 65536 83 Linux
/dev/mmcblk0p3 14273 15296 32768 83 Linux
/dev/mmcblk0p4 80000 119296 1257504 b Win95 FAT32

After writing the partition table fdisk said:
"kernel still has old partition table. cannot fdisk /dev/mmcblk0p4".
True.
Code:
fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0p4
still prints the original partition table.
Thus writing of that secondary partition table is not possible without reboot. As I doubted that the Kindle will come up with a damaged partition, I dd'ed the raw data of the beginning of the original partition to the start of the resized one.
Spoiler:
Code:
# verify that I am really at the beginning of the table and compare it with the backup of the partition on PC.
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 skip=978943 count=10 | hd
dd if=/data/kindle/mmcblk0p4_20121029.img bs=512 skip=0 count=10 | hd

# Copying.Note: Maybe count should have matched the new partition size, but
# the filesystem is damaged anyway.
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 skip=978944 count=10000 of=/dev/mmcblk0 seek=5119936
# compare beginning of new partition with the old one
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 skip=5119936 count=10 | hd

THAT WAS A MISTAKE! Because the partition table has wrong size and the vfat file system ist damaged.
I rather should have created a new mmcblk0p4 with the new size at the PC. Formatting it there and even copying the original data to that system and dd|nc'ing it to the new Kindle partition.

After rebooting the Kindle hanged. dmesg on the PC printed some infos about new scssi device but did not mount it. Almost the same as I had the night before after restoring the old partition (see first post). But this time I was at least able to put the Kindle in bootloader mode and reboot it with imx_usb. But it hangs, regardless of main or diags booting. Leaving it, going to sleep.

This morning the Kindle is working again. After setting it in USB device mode the PC even mounted the damaged partition table. Of course with some error messages.
Spoiler:
Code:
> dmesg
[  120.978992] scsi 13:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Kindle   Internal Storage 0100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[  120.979656] sd 13:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg8 type 0
[  120.984855] sd 13:0:0:0: [sdg] 2515008 512-byte logical blocks: (1.28 GB/1.19 GiB)
[  121.092740] sd 13:0:0:0: [sdg] Write Protect is off
[  121.092745] sd 13:0:0:0: [sdg] Mode Sense: 0f 00 00 00
[  121.092748] sd 13:0:0:0: [sdg] Assuming drive cache: write through
[  121.202342] sd 13:0:0:0: [sdg] Assuming drive cache: write through
[  121.202348]  sdg: sdg1
[  121.205427] sdg: p1 size 6655984 exceeds device capacity, enabling native capacity
[  121.312102] sd 13:0:0:0: [sdg] Assuming drive cache: write through
[  121.312107]  sdg: sdg1
[  121.313300] sdg: p1 size 6655984 exceeds device capacity, limited to end of disk
[  121.431998] sd 13:0:0:0: [sdg] Assuming drive cache: write through
[  121.432006] sd 13:0:0:0: [sdg] Attached SCSI removable disk

> ls /media/usb0/
ls: cannot access /media/usb0/developer: Input/output error
ls: cannot access /media/usb0/diagnostic_logs: Input/output error

fdisk on the PC shows the original (now wrong) partition table.
Spoiler:
Code:

> fdisk -l /dev/sdg

Disk /dev/sdg: 1287 MB, 1287684096 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 39297 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 64 * 512 = 32768 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000003

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdg1               1      104000     3327992    b  W95 FAT32

So far...
I think I will try to format the partition from the PC. At least in diags mode it should do no harm.

Last edited by EternalCyclist; 10-31-2012 at 02:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-31-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Fascinating. edge of my seat stuff....

I don't have anything to add - other than register my excitement. : D

solid notes! much obliged so far,
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You may need to adjust the values in /var/local/system/mntusb.params (I think) to match your new partition layout...

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-31-2012 at 02:11 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

When could you ever resize a mounted FAT partition?
You gotta unmount it before you can fdisk it.
And remember, before you can unmount it, you have to deal with the FUSE file system that is using it.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
EternalCyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
When could you ever resize a mounted FAT partition?
You're right, but your advice came to late. When I moved and resized mmcblk0p4 I unmounted it on the Kindle as described in the first post.

Now, when I tried to correct the wrong size of mmcblk0p4p1 FROM HOST PC, I unmonted it ON HOST PC. How silly!
After
Code:
mkfs.vfat /dev/sdc1; mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /mnt/kindle;
I copied my data back to the Kindle. Everything seemed to work. After rebooting from diags to main PC mounted Kindle disk without complaints. BUT /mt/kindle was in factory preset state.

Of course, as knc1 said, I should have unmounted /mnt/us and /mnt/base-us ON KINDLE before fdisking.

Copying data again to kindle. Reboot. Data still there. Maybe I should do an integrity check ...

But there's more to do:
Now I will move mmcpblkp03 up to have free space to resize mmcblkp02.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
EternalCyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You may need to adjust the values in /var/local/mntusb.params (I think) to match your new partition layout...
On my K5 I have only /var/local/system/mntusb.params and the first line says
"# auto-generated file -- do not modify!"

then:
Code:
# computed values
MNTUS_PART_START=16
MNTUS_PART_SIZE=1257496
MNTUS_PART_OFFSET=8192
The computation is actually pretty good. ;-)

PART_SIZE matches fdisk size output.

PART_OFFSET is the position of the secondary FAT.

Not matching the second part of mntusb.params could bring some speed loss - I gess.
Code:
# constant values
# FAT32 fs
MNTUS_FATSIZE=32
# Align fs data to 4MB boundary
MNTUS_ALIGNMENT_MB=4
# Use 8k cluster size for better write performance
MNTUS_SECTORS_PER_CLUSTER=16
Old 10-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalCyclist View Post
On my K5 I have only /var/local/system/mntusb.params and the first line says
Code:
"# auto-generated file -- do not modify!"
I had intented to type /system in that line. I actually remember thinking "/system" while I was typing it. My typing accuracy is not so good these days. I corrected my post...

The "auto generated" file is only generated when the startup scripts cannot mount the partition in FAT mode, in which case they delete that partition, create a new one, and repopulate it with default files.

That mntusb.params file happens to be one that is also written by some jailbreaks (and debricking scripts), so it could also get changed to values different from your own when installing a jailbreak (or debricking)...

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-31-2012 at 02:29 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've tried to reparition /dev/mmcblk0p4 (on Kindle Touch 5.1.2). So, here is how-to.
  • Make BACKUP of your Kindle userstore parition (i.e. /mnt/us). It will be destroyed!
  • stop framework. It's not strictly required, but framework is the most obvious consumer of userstore parition content, so let's disable it just in paranoia considerations:
    Code:
    [root@kindle root]# stop framework
  • unmount userstore parition. Also check if /mnt/us and/or /mnt/base-us were/are mounted:
    Code:
    [root@kindle root]# mount | grep -c us
    Code:
    [root@kindle root]# /etc/upstart/userstore stop
    Code:
    [root@kindle root]# mount | grep -c us
  • make copy of userstore script:
    Code:
    [root@kindle root]# cp /etc/upstart/userstore /var/tmp/root/userstore
  • change copy of userstore script (UPD: read this beforehand). The changed script will create two partitions at /dev/mmcbk0p4: first is the default Kindle userstore partition (already formatted), second is unformatted free space. Size of first parition could be changed in line with definition of PART_SIZE variable. In this diff, it's set to 1GB (1024 * 1024 * 1024 is 1GB in bytes and 512 is sector size):
    PHP Code:
    --- /etc/upstart/userstore
    +++ /var/tmp/root/userstore
    @@ -29,+29,@@

PART_START=${_TRACKSIZE}

# try to read back the existing partition size
    PART_SIZE=`sfdisk --force -l ${MNTUS_DEV} | awk '$1 ~ '/${_BASE_MNTUS_DEV}p1/\ '{ print $5 }'`
    PART_SIZE=`expr 1024 \* 1024 \* 1024 \/ 512`
    NEXT_PART_START=`expr ${PART_START} \+ ${PART_SIZE}`

if [ -
    "${PART_SIZE}]; then
        _CREATE
    =1
    @@ -41,+42,@@

# create the volume partition

sfdisk ---force -uS ${MNTUS_DEV} <<EOI
    -${PART_START},,b
    +${PART_START},${PART_SIZE},b
    +${NEXT_PART_START}

EOI

# read back the created partition size
    @@ -237,+239,@@

# returned status is that of the called routine

case "$1" in
    -  startstart_us ;;
    -  
    stopstop_us ;;
    -  
    initinit_us ;;
    -  *) echo 
    "usage: $0 [start|stop|init]" ; exit ;;
    +  
    repartitioninit_us "create";;
    +  *) echo 
    "usage: $0 repartition" ; exit ;;

esac 
  • did you backup your userstore parition? If not, backup it right now!
  • execute changed userstore script (output is skipped):
    Code:
    [root@kindle root]# sh /var/tmp/root/userstore repartition
  • mount new Kindle userstore parition:
    Code:
    [root@kindle root]# /etc/upstart/userstore start
  • check for changes:
    Code:
    [root@kindle root]# df -h
    Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root               340.2M    232.9M     90.3M  72% /
    tmpfs                   124.8M     72.0K    124.8M   0% /dev
    tmpfs                   124.8M         0    124.8M   0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs                    32.0M    340.0K     31.7M   1% /var
    /dev/mmcblk0p3           31.0M     16.2M     13.1M  55% /var/local
    /dev/loop/0            1018.0M    552.0K   1017.5M   0% /mnt/base-us
    fsp                    1018.0M    552.0K   1017.5M   0% /mnt/us
    Code:
    [root@kindle root]# sfdisk --force -l /dev/mmcblk0p4

Disk /dev/mmcblk0p4: 105536 cylinders, 4 heads, 16 sectors/track
    Units = cylinders of 32768 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System
    /dev/mmcblk0p4p1          0+  32768-  32768    1048576    b  W95 FAT32
    /dev/mmcblk0p4p2      32768+ 105535   72768-   2328568   83  Linux
    /dev/mmcblk0p4p3          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
    /dev/mmcblk0p4p4          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
  • start framework:
    Code:
    [root@kindle root]# start framework
New userstore parition survives reboot and works as expected when Kindle connected to computer.

Your new partition (i.e. new free space) could be destroyed by system userstore script in some rare cases:
  • if size of /dev/mmcbk0p4p1 will be 0 (as reported by sfdisk --force -l /dev/mmcblk0p4),
  • if /usr/sbin/mntus mount will return failure (not zero exit code).
This possibility of destroying could be avoided with slight changes in /etc/upstart/userstore, but I think these cases are really rare, so they doesn't matter.

So, now you have free space. It should be formatted and mounted as loopback device. (Maybe I'll describe further setup a bit later, if nobody will do it before me...)

Last edited by eureka; 11-05-2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: add link to alternative userstore script diff
Old 10-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
eureka

Let's see how filesystem data should be aligned and what block size was chosen for stock filesystems :
Code:
[root@kindle root]# grep Align /etc/upstart/userstore 
# Align fs data to 4MB boundary
		# Align FAT fs data on 4 MB boundary to improve eMMC performance
Code:
[root@kindle root]# grep cluster /var/local/system/mntus.params 
# Use 8k cluster size for better write performance
Code:
[root@kindle root]# for i in 1 2 3; do tune2fs -l /dev/mmcblk0p$i | grep 'Block size:'; done
Block size:               1024
I think, our ext3 filesystem should be aligned on 4MB (4194304 = 4 * 1024 * 1024) and have block of 1024 bytes.

Let's find offset (in bytes) of start of our new free space (UPD: read this beforehand). Offset of /dev/mmcblk0p4 (in sectors) could be read with cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0p4/start. Offset of /dev/mmcblk0p4p2 (in sectors, relative to start of /dev/mmcblk0p4) could be found in output of sfdisk -uS -l --force /dev/mmcblk0p4. Sector size is 512 bytes.
Code:
[root@kindle root]# expr 512 \* \( \
>   $(sfdisk -uS -l --force /dev/mmcblk0p4 | awk '/mmcblk0p4p2/ {print $2}') \
>   \+ $(cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0p4/start) \
> \)
This offset isn't aligned on 4MB boundary. To find new, aligned offset, we should divide found offset on 4MB, round the answer to most closest larger integer and multiply rounded answer on 4MB. In Python 3.x:
Code:
>>> round(1574969344 / 4194304) * 4194304
And then let's convert found absolute offset (from start of eMMC device) to relative offset (from start of /dev/mmcblk0p4) required for losetup:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# expr 1577058304 - 512 \* $(cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0p4/start)
Userstore parition is mounted to /dev/loop/0. All other loop devices are free (UPD: not quite right, read here). So let's select /dev/loop/1 as device for our new parition, mount free space as loopback device and format it (output is skipped):
Code:
[root@kindle root]# losetup -o 1075838976 /dev/loop/1 /dev/mmcblk0p4
[root@kindle root]# mkfs.ext3 -b 1024 /dev/loop/1
[root@kindle root]# losetup -d /dev/loop/1
To mount our new filesystem:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# losetup -o 1075838976 /dev/loop/1 /dev/mmcblk0p4
[root@kindle root]# mount /dev/loop/1 /somewhere
To unmount:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# umount /somewhere
[root@kindle root]# losetup -d /dev/loop/1

Last edited by eureka; 11-05-2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: all stock loop devices are busy, in fact