Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #16
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I knew he was a successful TV & movie screenwriter, but I think he considered The Princess Bride a bit out of his normal writing.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
He also wrote another book supposedly by S. Morgenstern, The Silent Gondoliers about why the gondoliers of Venice no longer sing.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Silent-Gon...5100545&sr=8-1
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #18
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I don't know if there are any Germans reading this thread, but if:

Von der "Brautprinzessin" gibt es eine wunderwunderschöne ungekürzte Hörspielfassung, die von Jochen Malmsheimer und Bela B. (Ärzte) gelesen wird und die sich auch als kleines Geschenk für die Kiddies gut eignet (meine Tochter hat sie zig, zig-mal angehört, und mir hat's auch jedes Mal neu wieder gefallen).
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
I really enjoyed getting the back stories of various characters, especially Fezzik and Inidgo. I liked the ending of the movie more than the book, but the book's end more closely fits "Life is pain."
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I am terrible at remembering movies. I can remember seeing this movie in the theater - where, when, even with who, but nothing about the plot. I'm sure I watched it on video many times back then too! So I was looking forward to reading the book, and I really enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
I also got this edition from the library. I got so bored reading the overly long introductions I haven't even started the book. Add me to the short list of those who had never heard of the book or seen the movie and don't plan to ever do so.
I borrowed the 30th anniversary edition from the library as well. I didn't read it in order from Page 1 to 284. I skipped the introductions. I started with the beginning of the story. Then I read Buttercup's Baby. Finally, I read the 25th anniversary intro followed by the 30th anniversary intro. I think I enjoyed it better reading it in that order. I started with the intro until I realized it had spoilers. Also, it is difficult to appreciate the content of the intros without reading the story first and enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I really enjoyed the humourous style that Goldman employs. Very much up my street. The story itself was fun and engaging, and I am looking forward to seeing the movie, if it is indeed better than the book.

I was a little confused over the inclusion of Buttercup Baby (in this edition, at least). Whilst I understand that it forms almost an epilogue function for the Princess Bride, it also raises more questions, and leaves more things hanging, than did Bride. For example - do Fezzik and the baby survive the fall from the cliffs? No small matter. I just wished he had taken it further and wrapped up some of the loose ends.
The intro of the 30th anniversary edition helps with this loose end. I enjoyed the writing style too. I initially wasn't sure why this book was nominated as a humor selection.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #21
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post

I borrowed the 30th anniversary edition from the library as well. I didn't read it in order from Page 1 to 284. I skipped the introductions. I started with the beginning of the story. Then I read Buttercup's Baby. Finally, I read the 25th anniversary intro followed by the 30th anniversary intro. I think I enjoyed it better reading it in that order. I started with the intro until I realized it had spoilers. Also, it is difficult to appreciate the content of the intros without reading the story first and enjoying it.

The intro of the 30th anniversary edition helps with this loose end. I enjoyed the writing style too. I initially wasn't sure why this book was nominated as a humor selection.
I do wish I had done this also. I tried again to read this book and probably read about 20 pages before giving up. Since it was a library loan I doubt I'll ever read it.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did enjoy what there was of Buttercup's Baby. I wanted more. It was getting interesting when it stopped.

The author notes/injections gave the book a different feel then the movie. What I liked about having seen the movie before reading the book is that the movie is that the movie is so well cast, that it was nice to be able to imagine the movie characters while reading.

Some of Goldman's interjections did go on for a little long. It was good overall though. Well worth having read it. But in this case, I suggest seeing the movie and then reading the book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #23
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I finished the book today. I especially enjoyed the introductions and the "author notes". Much more than the "actual" fairytale. Although the fairytale was amusing, the author notes is what really made the book funny.
I even enjoyed the (extremely long) introductions (I have the 30th anniversary edition so tehre were two of them)
I can't say it made me want to see the movie, even though I'm sure it's very enjoyable.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #24
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I enjoyed The Princess Bride. It has been described as a "revisionist" fairy tale, and I suppose it is that, as Goldman treats the various conventions of the fairy tale very much tongue-in-cheek. While I think he does go overboard in the process on occasion, by and large I think he gives a great deal of entertainment. Certainly, it is a very original approach and I am very glad that I read it.

The film tends generally to be more conventional and makes the most of the swashbuckling and monster scenes. The gentle satire is aimed at the old swashbuckling films of the Errol Flynn variety and in its own way it works just as well as the novel. The fact that Goldman himself write the screenplay adaptation from his book is one of the reasons both approaches work so well.

I wouldn't be without either.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 04-30-2012 at 03:47 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #25
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
If I can open up this thread again, I just finished the The Princess Bride.

I read everything in the 30th anniversary edition except for some of the torture paragraphs. Liked it? Not really, but it gives a lot to think about.

Reading through the thread, I see that my ideas about the book are hardly mentioned. If somebody can show me I'm wrong, maybe I'll look back on it more fondly.

This novel is the story of being someone who abridges works written by others. As a screenwriter, that's what William Goldman does.

However, Goldman isn't, in the Princess Bride, writing a movie script. He is turning a literary classic supposedly studied by Columbia professors into a children's book. I can't get around the idea that he is either:

A. Showing self-loathing about how screenwriters like himself butcher their source material

or

B. Insulting the gullibility of those in his audience who will focus on the kids-love-it non-italicized parts and find them emotionally plausible despite the impossibilities (dead doesn't really mean dead, wed to an evil man doesn't really mean married).

As for the fairy tale, how can any adult be supposed to like Wesley and Buttercup. Do people remember how dumb Buttercup had to be to believe so long that the Prince actually let Wesley get away? And how evil Wesley had to be to be the Dread Pirate Roberts for even a short time?

One part of the anniversary material that I thought was important was when Goldman said how pleased he was to see a couple at the beach wearing "Wesley never dies" T-shirts. He sincerely doesn't want to be contemptuous of those who pay his bills. But can he help it?

I did not understand the references to Stephen King. Is it just a simple admission of jealousy for King's greater success? Or is Stephen King supposed to be just one more betrayer of literature who sold out to popular culture? Or is it that King=Morgenstern, in which case most of what I am saying here is wrong.

I've read one other Goldman book, The Season: A Candid Look at Broadway. He wrote that book for people like himself. And I liked it. None of the angst about the relationship between reader and writer.

I'll bet one person who knows exactly what the Princess Bride is about is his ex.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #26
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
If one wants realism, might I suggest Animal Farm?

One reads fantasy to escape realism...

(There was no S. Morgenstein)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote