Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
firmware 2.0.4 (from Russian forum) for new reader models (no IQ)

apparently released today (from this thread)

http://www.pocketbook-int.com/downlo...2.0.4_user.zip

where NA is North America, CIS is Russia and EU is Europe. Only thing troubling me, my PB903 already has the 2.0.4 firmware version - hope this is not the "update" promised for January 28

Last edited by paola; 01-21-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: fixed the links
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Thank you and karma for you, Paola!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
Thank you paolamanzini and Karma your way for digging this out of the russian forum!
Yes, it is a good question what the difference between this 2.0.4 is and the 2.0.4 version installed on our readers. Will check if there is somewhere a release note to check what's new.

Maybe some of the pocketbook people could comment on this. They should know.
review is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
The installed 2.0.4 version in 903 is of date 21/12/10 and the new one is 20/01/11 and it's about 10 megabytes bigger.

I've installed it and seems 903 boots faster. Configuration program continues crashing as frequent as in last version, applications needs to manually navigate to the right place for the first time after upgrade due a folder problem, and other guys in Lectores Electrónicos found a better dictionary support.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

well, i installed it as well.
To me it appears that not a single item of the bugs or wanted features was implemented. Now, i'm not complaining but if you keep in mind that they don't publish a release note you have the hope that something was fixed which annoyed you and then you get frustrated that everything you try still has the initial bug.

Just while I type express my feelings it reminds me of the dilbert cartoon published on the very same day as the firmware was finished. Dilbert had very great expectations during a job interview until they rejected him. Well, it's kind of the a similar feeling with me now.

!!! Also it appears that all files copied by the user into games were deleted!!!

Let's try to summarize the changes:
1) changed the font of the frontpage (the contrast is worse than before)
2) pocketnews has now links to the article (but this still doesn't satisfy me as it just starts the corresponding article in midori so you need to be online in order to read the full article)
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by review View Post
!!! Also it appears that all files copied by the user into games were deleted!!!
Nope. Navigate with the right side and you'll find them. They've moved the folder.

And yes, great expectations... not accomplished.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
review
Addict

yes, I understand that they changed the name from games to applications. and all applications are in this folder once you go a level up and then back into the folder called applications. However, I've written some scripts and copied them to games. All of them are gone.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
rfog
Guru

Ooops. :-(

I've not "touched" it yet. I'm waiting for the official SDK... :-)
Old 01-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Did anybody install this 2.0.4 PB902 FW? it is worth it?
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
tomhck
Enthusiast
tomhck began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
I installed 2.0.4 EURO few minutes ago and i found these changes:
1. i can remove packages now
2. the font in the main menu is changed — now it's the same font i chose in the configuration, before it was the Myriad i think.
3. better text rendering? It seems to be more sharper and legible
4. faster reactions?
5. games renamed to applications
tomhck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #11
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhck View Post
5. games renamed to applications
as noted above by review, if I understood correctly pparently what you had in the games directory gets wiped out: so make sure you back it up before you update the FW!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
OphReader
Connoisseur
OphReader began at the beginning.

Device: 902
I also updated to the new firmware and the things that annoyed me in 2.0.3 are still here:

- there's no step between font sizes 9 and 12 in adobe reader while reading epubs

- the fbreader still f*ckes up the formatting of epubs (like putting a headline in normal font to the left, when in adobe reader it is bold and in the middle), also adobe reader renders letters much better than fbreader

- the 'fitwidth' option when reading pdfs in adobe reader does nothing, it is absolutely the same as 100% in normal view

- there's no option for 115% in adobe reader in pdf mode

- when zooming a pdf in pdfreader there's an ugly big margin on the left side when the right side is without any margin

I didn't try any other things, since I bought this device for reading and not for surfing the internet and whatnot. But I'm disappointed I have to say. I don't think these issues will get fixed. A changelog would be interesting though.

*edit*: I just found out the usage of the dictionary actually worsened in Adobe Reader. I laid the dictionary function to the long pressed menu button. If I do that, the reader still crashes (that's the same behavior as before) and when accessing the dic over the main menu still produces just a single short, 'cursor-like' stripe instead of marking the whole word, but now switching between words takes a lot longer, I have to push the button at least twice to switch from one word to another. Annoying. I cannot see a single thing enhanced (well the keypad now looks nicer)

Last edited by OphReader; 01-22-2011 at 01:16 PM.
OphReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Quote:
Originally Posted by OphReader View Post

*edit*: I just found out the usage of the dictionary actually worsened in Adobe Reader. I laid the dictionary function to the long pressed menu button. If I do that, the reader still crashes (that's the same behavior as before) and when accessing the dic over the main menu still produces just a single short, 'cursor-like' stripe instead of marking the whole word, but now switching between words takes a lot longer, I have to push the button at least twice to switch from one word to another. Annoying. I cannot see a single thing enhanced (well the keypad now looks nicer)
As for the dictionary, I changed long hold to short press for looking up words in a book, it stopped freezing. The cursor, I found out that I needed to hold it untill it reached the word I needed to look up. Otherwise, it will refresh the explanation window for every word you pass by on your way.

Last edited by jshzh; 01-22-2011 at 06:08 PM.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #14
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
the 'fitwidth' option when reading pdfs in adobe reader does nothing, it is absolutely the same as 100% in normal view

that is 100% dependent on the file itself. If the margins of the file are part of the "image" then it is already fit width at the default zoom. If the margins are not part of it then it can move the text block to the width of the display.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #15
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
well guys!!! look we are still guninea pigs.. I will wait.......
Pocketbook developers!! Stops using us guinea pigs and perform better testings...
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote