Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
Kirys
Zealot
Kirys has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Boox M90
How much is Iliad HW reliable?

I was going tu buy it but reading some posts it seems to me that the iliad hardware is pretty unreliable. the screen is fragile, but i already know this, what kind of other weakness does the iliad have?
Thank you
Kirys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirys
I was going tu buy it but reading some posts it seems to me that the iliad hardware is pretty unreliable. the screen is fragile, but i already know this, what kind of other weakness does the iliad have?
Thank you
The hardware is as reliable as any other device with a large screen... If you get a cover for the screen then its fine...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

without a cover the screen is very vunerable to pressure. since getting a cover it travels with me everywhere no probs

Mark
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
Kirys
Zealot
Kirys has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Boox M90
other that the screen is there any other major reliability issue?
Kirys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
markiehill
Connoisseur

none from me.

i am happy with the hardware.

mark
Advert
Old 01-22-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
same here, the hardware is so far not a problem. You just have to be careful with the screen. (but thats the same with the Sony, or not?)
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Agreed.

I think the first few inital devices may have had some hardware problems, but it looks like they've gotten everything sorted out.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
Ivan
Connoisseur
Ivan began at the beginning.

Don't expect the power will last more than 8 hours after turning on even not doing anything! The power management may be a problem if you would like to use it for >8 hourswithout turn it off. I fully charged my ereader, it took 7-8 hours to drain all the juice even not doing anything........
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:59 AM   #9
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Actually from 2.8 update, you get 10 hours. That's my observation.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:42 AM   #10
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
As I unhappily discovered the screws can work lose from the bottom of the case. The large case flexes which I think is what contributes to the screws working loose. In my 3rd unit (the previous 2 having been DOA) this lead to failure of the page flip bar.

In my experience iRex's hardware support is a nightmare. Any kind of repair to the main device requires a trip to Germany and as I discovered: iRex's promises to pay for return shipping aren't always kept. I still haven't heard back from them regarding the 12/27/06 back billing from UPS for a return made last September!

Other hardware issues. Examine the photos taken of the inside of the device. It isn't a single printed circuit board design. The stacked layers of circuit board design used is historically more vulnerable to flex and vibration than a single circuit board design (as used in the Sony Reader). One of the things we humans are worst at are connectors and with stacked circuit boards you have many connectors being stressed and waiting to fail.

From the photos the Wifi is implemented as a CF card. If the CF card connection flexes too much and the connection becomes intermittent you can't re-seat it to restore proper operation. You can't access it, there is no access door.

The stylus is very flexible and seems to bend easily and comes with no replacement nibs. In addition the stylus is small and has no hole in it to secure it to the main unit with a tether. iRex only has one $40 shipping charge so ordering a replacement stylus begins with paying $40 in shipping to the USA (which is almost the same as the cost of the stylus on their site.)

In addition to main unit failures I've also had one bad travel hub, which is the only way to recharge the unit. Everything about the design of the travel hub lends itself to "dangle" which puts stress on all the cables and all the connectors inside the travel hub as well as the docking connector in the main device itself.

So long as iRex stood behind their product I was willing to put up with these issues but now that I've been back billed by UPS and iRex has yet to resolve that weeks later? I have little confidence in iRex anymore. Coupled with slow development, constant delays in promised major features, failure to promptly ship my ordered cover and sliding delivery for other hardware accessories... They now seem to me like a startup that has burned through its initial money and is now teetering on the precipice of going under.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #11
markiehill
Connoisseur

damming indeed.

As i have said before in other threads, if they opened up the source code completely to the community they could have developers working on it whilst they provided the units and distribution of publications

I am with Scotty on this, i think the end is nigh sadly.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiehill
I am with Scotty on this, i think the end is nigh sadly.
Isn't this what someone says every month or so...? But if the Iliad ever does "fail" I would think it might be more to do with constant negativity that surrounds some, rather than any major failings...

So some units were DOA, and there was a bit of shaky start but thats what happens if you try new and ground-breaking things, and I personally am very happy that Irex have produced what they have and stuck the course.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #13
Flinx
Connoisseur
Flinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Cybook Muse Frontlight, Cybook Odyssey
This sounds not so good.
I thougth I should wait until the price is at least under 500, but now...
Are you too pessimistic? Or maybe the Iliad is the first and last attempt to make an reader for open formats?
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #14
jęd
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinx
This sounds not so good.
I thougth I should wait until the price is at least under 500, but now...
Are you too pessimistic? Or maybe the Iliad is the first and last attempt to make an reader for open formats?
Is that 500 euros or $ 500...?
Old 01-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #15
markiehill
Connoisseur

Jaed,

If it were easier to port software without the risk of bricking etc then i am sure that the community would embrace it.

With Sony, Iriver and others chasing the same market, the Iliad is already looking functionally poor and it has had a years advantage.

I think the negativity on these forums is partially due to fustration with what could be a fantastic device, at least we care !!! Its the lack of others we should be concerned about , i cannot help but notice the tumbleweed blowing through these forums.

Mark