Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
*SIGH* Amazon...

Is it just me or is anyone else starting to get a little - annoyed at the stranglehold that Amazon has on the ebook market?

It's been this way since they launched the Kindle, but now I'm just - bothered.

Patient Zero
Mistborn
Malazan

All for the most part, Kindle exclusives.
I could go on and on with the list. But you guys know how it is.
I just felt like whining. Going on a plane tomorrow for like a forever flight and was kind of jonesin' for something fun.

Guess I should just read the other 50+ that I have on backlist. But really. Argh.

I don't want to pull the trigger and get a kindle, especially when I bought some yucky DRM'd books from the Sony store. But I wish the content output would increase. But with rumours swirling around and all that, it's getting kind of scary out here for me.

And I own (3) Sonys!
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I think content is increasing for the Sony, but they don't have the exclusives that Amazon has because they aren't doing the TOPAZ thing.

I have over 300 books stockpiled so I'm quite jealous of your 50. I'm starting to feel stressed out by my TBR pile!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I have more than 50. I'm terrified of logging onto the library to see what my unread pile is. But, I have to anyway.

The Patient Zero thing really bothered me (I'm starting to hate Macmillan) I don't want to pay the $3- markup to get the Waterstones version, even though I know if it ever comes out on our shores in ebook it will be twice as expensive..I also don't want to pay the foreign transaction rate my credit card will charge me (read: arm/leg)
Old 07-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I think content is increasing for the Sony, but they don't have the exclusives that Amazon has because they aren't doing the TOPAZ thing.
I think the reason Amazon has been able to build a bigger ebook store is because Amazon *is* a book store first and already had the contacts and relationship with publishers. Sony did not have that advantage.

You know Sony's LRX format (sold in the Sony store) is equal to Topaz since they are both unbreakable at the moment. The Sony sells way more LRX books than Amazon sells Topaz.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I think the reason Amazon has been able to build a bigger ebook store is because Amazon *is* a book store first and already had the contacts and relationship with publishers. Sony did not have that advantage.

You know Sony's LRX format (sold in the Sony store) is equal to Topaz since they are both unbreakable at the moment. The Sony sells way more LRX books than Amazon sells Topaz.
Yes, I know both have DRM. I meant that Amazon creates their own books to sell in Topaz format (apparently by scanning paper books). As far as I know, Sony is not creating their own books, they are relying on publishers to provide them with electronic files which Sony then converts.

Last edited by doreenjoy; 07-08-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: compulsive about grammar
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard

Sony -had- a book store at one point...But it seems like their partnership with Borders has broke down (especially with them having their own e-reader now.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

I'll put my money on Sony over Borders any day of the week. Borders is not well managed IMO.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #8
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Sony -had- a book store at one point...But it seems like their partnership with Borders has broke down (especially with them having their own e-reader now.
Borders has their own e-reader? The Borders website suggests their still pushing the Sony reader. What did I miss?
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
It's hardly Amazon's stranglehold, it's more Sony sucking. Take it up with Sony and the publishers... not Amazon's fault that they have a good store.

As far as I know, Amazon isn't engaging in any anticompetitive practices they're just doing what Sony hardly ever does - make an effort.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:54 AM   #10
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Is it just me or is anyone else starting to get a little - annoyed at the stranglehold that Amazon has on the ebook market?

It's been this way since they launched the Kindle, but now I'm just - bothered.

Patient Zero
Mistborn
Malazan

All for the most part, Kindle exclusives.
I could go on and on with the list. But you guys know how it is.
I just felt like whining. Going on a plane tomorrow for like a forever flight and was kind of jonesin' for something fun.

Guess I should just read the other 50+ that I have on backlist. But really. Argh.

I don't want to pull the trigger and get a kindle, especially when I bought some yucky DRM'd books from the Sony store. But I wish the content output would increase. But with rumours swirling around and all that, it's getting kind of scary out here for me.

And I own (3) Sonys!
Yep....thus, the reason I DO NOT own a Kindle.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:18 AM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
I don't even bother checking - it'll just make me annoyed because I can't buy neither kindle nor books. (not that I really want a kindle)
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:36 AM   #12
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I don't mind to be honest.

go pirate if you want to but cant buy their book and want to read it.

I wish the kindle bookstore was open. but I do have an Itouch so I can buy it and dedrm it.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:10 AM   #13
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
As far as I know, Amazon isn't engaging in any anticompetitive practices they're just doing what Sony hardly ever does - make an effort.
The pionieer of electronic reading devices which are suitable for the mass doesn't make an effort? Of course not! Sony is active in the ebook market for many years and in many countries - not only in the US. Isn't that an effort?

Amazons effort is outstanding - at least in the US. But it's also true that Amazon is using a closed business model for the Kindle(s).
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 AM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Sony also HAD an e-book store when they released Sony Librié - the first ever e-ink reader in Japan.
Their store turned out to be a spectacular fiasco, because their DRM was so draconian that even Japanese market wouldn't go for it.
With Sony Librié your "purchased" books expired in 90 days and THE ONLY content you were allowed to put on your reader was content purchased in Sony E-book Store (Japan). Later on Sony published program that allowed you to put you your own content [Gasp!] on your own device, but it was only after some clever hackers did it first and it was waaaaay too late anyway. The only nice thing that could be said about the Librié is that it was the first e-ink reader, way ahead of the rest of the world and that the prices in their e-book ... aehm ... store (a library, really) were significantly lower than printed books.
For their store Sony partnered with big and influential publishers from Japan.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #15
AshW
Connoisseur
AshW doesn't litterAshW doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
The Malazan books are avaliable in the UK, so they're definitely not Amazon exclusives. A lot of this stuff is just all over the place though and it can be frustrating.

I think things are slowly changing for the better rather than the worse though. The "content output" is and has been increasing steadily. Fingers crossed that at some point in the future this just isn't an issue.
AshW is offline   Reply With Quote