Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 05-23-2014, 04:50 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Collins, Wilkie: A Rogue's Life. v1. 23 May 2014

Wilkie Collins lived in London from 1824 to 1889, a period in which 'the inevitable self-assertion of wealth, so amiably deplored by the prosperous and the rich; [was] so bitterly familiar to the unfortunate and the poor.'

He was short, plump, and short sighted; despite his severe suffering from gout he was a traveller, bon vivant, journalist, satirist, essayist, novelist, dramatist and social activist; and friend, collaborator, and rival of Charles Dickens. He became addicted to laudanum, and several of his characters praise it.

One of his characters says '... isn't it the original intention or purpose... of a work of fiction, to set out distinctly by telling a story? ... What I want is something that seizes hold of my interest... something that keeps me reading, reading, reading, in a breathless state to find out the end.'

A Rogue's Life was first published in Household Words in 1856, four years before A Woman in White, and as a revised book in 1879 when Collins' popularity was waning. Collins gently satirises the snobbery of the protagonist's family (and of society in general) by making him a liar and a swindler and yet the most honourable character in the book.

Wilkie Collins was the son and brother of professional artists, and had exhibited in the Royal Academy. He gives an amusing account of collectors of classical paintings, and the struggle of new artists to be acknowledged.

The source text for A Rogue's Life was Project Gutenberg 1588-h.htm, checked against the Chatto and Windus 1894 edition. I have set letters and newspaper material off as blockquotes with left aligned text, and have removed quotation marks within them unless the writer is quoting someone else. I have silently corrected typos, curled quotes, used British English, and made minor changes to spelling, punctuation, and hyphenation using oxforddictionaries.com.

Patrica has already done her version in 2008. I hope this version will find a place as it contains the newer azw3 format.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Rogue's Life, A - Wilkie Collins.mobi (759.2 KB, 306 views)

Last edited by AlexBell; 05-23-2014 at 04:54 AM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote