Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

English Wiktionary for Pocketbook (En-En)

Hi all,

weeks ago I started an english dictionary based on en.wiktionary.org for my PocketBook Touch 622

Now I can offer you a first test-dic with 35.200 words/phrases... Please give me a feedback if it works. Maybe it works also for other PocketBooks. Nearly everyday I will add more items. At the end there will be more than 400.000 items.

In the first post of this forum you can find the actually dic-file.

Maybe someone want donate for this (and the themes) project, please send me a PN and i will tell you how to donate.

Thank you and regards
Ronny
Old 09-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
thanks Ronnie, and for those who don't know what a wiktionary is (like me until ten minutes ago), here is a link: Wiktionary
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Tried it. Doesn't have all words and more emphasis is given on combination of words. I will stay with 1913 Webster's.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
Tried it. Doesn't have all words and more emphasis is given on combination of words. I will stay with 1913 Webster's.
That's correct because I started this project and at the end there will be all english words, phrases, idioms, acronyms etc. (more than 400.000) taken from en.wiktionary.org. Then maybe you will change your dictionary.

I will inform you every added 50.000 items in this thread.

Greetings
Ronny
Old 09-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRSteiner View Post
That's correct because I started this project and at the end there will be all english words, phrases, idioms, acronyms etc. (more than 400.000) taken from en.wiktionary.org. Then maybe you will change your dictionary.

I will inform you every added 50.000 items in this thread.

Greetings
Ronny
Oh, sorry for ignorant response. I thought the project was complete.

I sure am going to add this to reminders.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #6
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Hello,

I can inform you that actually 100.000 entries are added to the dictionary "RS-Wiktionary (En-En)".

Regards
Ronny
Old 09-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Hello again,

today my english dictionary based on en.wiktionary.org reached 150.720 (of 480.000) entries.

Look at this forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2230759

Greetings
Ronny

Last edited by SIRSteiner; 10-03-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:04 AM   #8
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Hello again,

today my english dictionary based on en.wiktionary.org reached over 200.000 entries.

Look at the previous posting where you can find this dictionary.

Greetings
Ronny
Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Today my english dictionary reaches 257.000 entries. Already many abbreviations, phrases and words like "quethe" you can find there but not in Webster's. But there are still 220.000 entries to add.

Greetings
Ronny
Old 09-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #10
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Today my dictionary contains over 300.000 entries!

Regards
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Now we have 350.000 entries!

Is there anybody who already use my dictionary?

Greetings from germany
Ronny
Old 09-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I have installed it, but only used it to look up "quethe". I don't use a dictionary very often, but if I do, it's usually to look up obscure words. So, I think your wiktionary will be very useful for that when those times come up.

May I ask, what is it that makes this project take so long for you? Is it the downloading of the entries, transforming them to some format that can be converted to PB .dic format,...? The reason I ask is that I presume that the Wiktionary entries are constantly being updated on the website, and I wonder how much work it would be to keep your version in sync with them.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
May I ask, what is it that makes this project take so long for you? Is it the downloading of the entries, transforming them to some format that can be converted to PB .dic format,...? The reason I ask is that I presume that the Wiktionary entries are constantly being updated on the website, and I wonder how much work it would be to keep your version in sync with them.
The entries of en.wiktionary.org consists of many, many, many templates. That's why it's not easy to parse them. I took the 2,6 GB dump did some simple filters to reduce the size to 900 MB. Now I parse all titles with english content by sending the source like i.e "{{en-noun|tylari}}" to wiktionary.org with a script (linux wget) to get the "translated" template i.e. "tylarus (plural tylari)".

It's more complex because of different types of the entries, the special characters, tables etc. Therefore I look at the results and do some logical tests to search faults.

I searched the internet but i couldn't found a parser for the dump to do the job offline. The only way I see to do it faster is to create a local mirror of en.wiktionary.org

That's why it takes a long time.

Regards
Ronny
Old 09-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm glad to hear that most of the time is spent by the computer making connections to the website, rather than you hand-editing files for hours. Still, your automation scripts sound impressive, and I salute you for your work!
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #15
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Now there are more than 400.000 entries! I hope this week the dictionary will be complete.

Greetings
Ronny