Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
windowsrefund
Connoisseur
windowsrefund began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
Page turn is painfully slow compared to Kindle

I was looking over someone's shoulder and noticed their page turns are instantaneous. Is development working on this? Somewhere on this forum, someone mentioned something about chapters being cached but I can't see how this would help matters as user's hardly bother to switch between chapters. In the case of caches, I'd think both the previous and next pages should be cached so they can be called up immediately rather than what's happening now.

So am I the only one who is bothered by the performance of page turns? I'm on the wifi device using firmware 1.7.4 and I'm reading epubs that I purchased off of the Oreilly site.
windowsrefund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
My Kobo (original, v1.4) has near instantaneous page changes. Certainly not as quick as a K3 or PRS-650 but still fast enough.

Might be an idea to try another ePUB, perhaps a free one from Smashwords or Baen free library and see if it is not an issue caused by the Oreilly ePUB's.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Different devices and price brackets... you won't get the turns as quick as the K3 or the 650 on the Kobo.
You can get it fast enough though and you soon learn to push a button x amount of words/lines before you get to the end of the page to ensure a seamless reading experience.

Lookit me, upping the kobo. Word!
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I'd try sabredog's suggestion. Page turns on my Kobo wifi are pretty quick. If I hit the button before the last word on the page, I have to back up because it turns too quickly. (For some reason, I keep doing that ... hitting that button too early and needing to back up.)
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
You are probably not the only one. Compared to many other eReaders on the market the Kobo Wifi is still a tad slow.

It has been improved over the previous Kobo model though. The entire machine is a bit more peppy.

Subjectively, I really like the page turn speed on the Kobo Wifi. The previous Kobo was a bit slowish, but other readers like the new Sony's and whatnot turn the pages pretty fast. Faster than I do in real life, truth be told. The Kobo Wifi turns pages just about the speed I do so it feels natural.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
I'd try sabredog's suggestion. Page turns on my Kobo wifi are pretty quick. If I hit the button before the last word on the page, I have to back up because it turns too quickly. (For some reason, I keep doing that ... hitting that button too early and needing to back up.)
Yeah, I'm guessing that the original Kobo must have had slow page turns because I can't click the page turn on my WiFi model much before the last word on the page or I miss it.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I have original Kobo. I concur, it sounds like you may be reading an unusually-formatted book.

With the previous software version it was slow to turn pages. This actually was not a problem as I quickly got into the rhythm of clicking with about 1/2 to 1 line left on the page. New software is so much faster, I find it's just fine, nowhere near painful. And the wifi is reported to be even faster.

That being said, page turns to a new chapter are quite slow on the original Kobo. Your book may be hitting that problem on every page.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
omahawildcat
Enthusiast
omahawildcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
Different devices and price brackets... you won't get the turns as quick as the K3 or the 650 on the Kobo.
You can get it fast enough though and you soon learn to push a button x amount of words/lines before you get to the end of the page to ensure a seamless reading experience.

Lookit me, upping the kobo. Word!
You do realize the Wifi Kobo and Wifi Kindle cost the same?
omahawildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

I'll try another epub later today and report back. Also, not sure why some of the responses are talking about the original kobo. This problem affects the wifi with firmware 1.7.4. Maybe some people have gotten used to the lag but trust me, the kobo (wifi) page turns are taking 1-3 seconds when a kindle is instantaneous.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo
Kobo being my first eReader, this was never a problem for me. I can see how it can be for people using another device for an extended period of time and switching to a Kobo and seeing the difference in user experience. Other than the Kindle, how do other devices compare?
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
You do realize the Wifi Kobo and Wifi Kindle cost the same?
not when you factor in import costs and potential currency exchange rates .

That said, I'm sure that the kindle 3 is quite a bit faster. I had the chance to take a look at a kindle 2 and it was slightly faster than the kobo wifi, but way faster than the original kobo (Pre 1.8 firmware). Personally though, I don't find it to be a problem as the page turn on the kobo takes about the same amount of time as it does for my eyes to go from the bottom of the page back to the top - ie, relatively no delay at all. *shrug*
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrefund View Post
I'll try another epub later today and report back. Also, not sure why some of the responses are talking about the original kobo. This problem affects the wifi with firmware 1.7.4. Maybe some people have gotten used to the lag but trust me, the kobo (wifi) page turns are taking 1-3 seconds when a kindle is instantaneous.
I would be really disappointed if my Kobo took 3 seconds to flip pages.

For what it's worth, I've been reading a LOT on my Kobo Wifi lately and I find it takes maybe one full second from the time I press the button to the time I'm reading the next page. As as been previously mentioned, that's about how long it takes me to turn a page in real life so it feels really natural. To me it looks like the speed is limited by the current state of eInk technology more than anything.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #13
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

Now I'm wondering if the 1.8.x firmware on the original is providing speedier page turns than the kobo-wifi with 1.7.4 firmware. Are any developers reading this thread?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
KoboPro
KoboPro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2
If you have the Kobo 2 (wireless) and are experiencing slow page turns, try loading your books using an SD card. I find the page turns are much faster this way.
KoboPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrefund View Post
Now I'm wondering if the 1.8.x firmware on the original is providing speedier page turns than the kobo-wifi with 1.7.4 firmware. Are any developers reading this thread?
That's what I'm wondering. My original Kobo turns pages pretty quickly (probably in about a second... or maybe less). But then, it always did... even before the firmware upgrade!

The only problems I had with speed were specific to certain books (usually ones that had lots of images)... and even then, the lag was only when I got to the next chapter.
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote