Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #151
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I'll third (if they haven't already been so):

The Devil in the White
City by Erik Larson
The greek myths by Robert Graves
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #152
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
My three votes are:
  1. Stiff
  2. The Omnivore's Dilemma
  3. The Origin of Species

The first two already have 3 noms... so you can have those 2 back if you want to reuse them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #153
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I'll vote for "The Origin of the Species" by Charles Darwin
It already has 3... so if you want you can reuse this nomination.

BOb
Old 03-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #154
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

STOP!!

Ok... I'm gonna call it. We usually stop once we have 10... but I wanted to make sure everyones noms got in...

So, we have 12 now.

I am off to create the voting thread.

BOb
Old 03-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #155
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Find the poll here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75615

BOb
Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #156
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
STOP!!

Ok... I'm gonna call it. We usually stop once we have 10... but I wanted to make sure everyones noms got in...

So, we have 12 now.

BOb
Yea!

Quote:
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #157
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
STOP!!

So, we have 12 now.

BOb
Heh - guess I just made it
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #158
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Heh - guess I just made it
Yep... right under the wire.

BOb
Old 03-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #159
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
I've said before on this thread that I am in the UK, and I've bought it. A lot of stuff on Amazon is available via Amazon for PC (but by no means everything, of course).

If we start saying that ebooks must be available everywhere, why not say that they must be readable on any reader? Pretty soon we'd have enough criteria to exclude almost everything. In my view, we're better off proposing whatever we want, people pointing out any shortcomings (like geo restrictions), and then having a vote. I doubt that a book with limited availability will win, because fewer people are likely to vote for it.
I do feel that if someone says a given book is not available as an eBook, then we just drop said book from the list. But only say so if you don't mind reading the pBook version should it win.

As to eBook format, the DRM can be stripped and Calibre used to convert to the format of choice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #160
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do feel that if someone says a given book is not available as an eBook, then we just drop said book from the list. But only say so if you don't mind reading the pBook version should it win.

As to eBook format, the DRM can be stripped and Calibre used to convert to the format of choice.
I'd agree that if something isn't available as an ebook at all, it's a funny choice for the mobile read book club. But so long as it can be obtained somewhere, it seems reasonable for someone to propose it.

I've checked all of this months's suggestions from the UK. I can find them all except "Quirkology" and "The World Without Us" - although others may have more luck than I did.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote