Old 06-06-2007, 02:25 AM   #1
Tenkian
Enthusiast
Tenkian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Sony acknowleges problem with the Reader's battery indicator

Got this announcement with my weekly Sony Connect newsletter :

Quote:
Important Message about your Reader's battery indicator! Click here for details.
It's only something we have known about for ages.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 06-06-2007 at 03:01 AM. Reason: frontpage
Tenkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:33 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkian View Post
Got this announcement with my weekly connect newsletter :

[FONT=&quot]Important Message about your Reader’s battery indicator! Click here for details.[/FONT]

It's only something we have known about for ages
Related Answers

• Can I use eBooks that I bought from other retailers with my Sony Reader?

Can I use eBooks that I bought from other retailers with my Sony Reader?

Question

Can I use eBooks that I bought from other retailers with my Sony Reader?

Answer

CONNECT eBooks is currently the only store where you can purchase books for your Sony Reader.

The real answer is YES you can. Purchase LIT format books, get CLIT 1.8, break the DRM, use Book Designer or conver to HTML and use html2lrf and there you go. Sony is so full of shit sometimes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:49 AM   #3
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The real answer is YES you can. Purchase LIT format books, get CLIT 1.8, break the DRM, use Book Designer or conver to HTML and use html2lrf and there you go.
Yes, but then you bought something else and CONVERTED it to a Sony format so technically they are still correct. The Connect store is the only place you can buy LRF formated books. (Everyplace else you can get LRF format is currently free.)

If you raise that silly little ability to convert books into a LRF format then....er, what was the Connect store for again? Oh yes, I remember: to sell public domain books for profit and make the current publishing "push list" available for full hardback price.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Speaking of the battery, I am reading a book and started with a fresh charge, I have gotten to 800 or so pages and the battery over time has gone down down down........... (I haven't had my nose in it much so it's draining even though not being used)........ Anyways, I left it on and stuck the wall unit charger in it to charge, later I walked by and saw it was still charging and so i turned the reader OFF...... later when it was all done charging I figuered I would have to remove the charger, turn it on, see the bars as still dead and plug it in again to get the bars to read correctly, well guess what, it didn't......... it was all ready and good to go this time....... That was a first.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
How amusing that their work-around is a close variation of our own.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's interesting, though, that they give a solution which they say works for USB charging; "our" method only works if you use the wall charger. I'll have to try what they suggest using USB and see if it works!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Now about the draining issue would be nice to solve...
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It took them this long to admit this was a problem, the draining issue will probably take a year or two.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
The draining issue is mostly due to the reader running the internal clock when "off", correct?

For me, the easy solution would be to just disable the clock entirely, or at least provide the option. I'm not sure what purpose it really even serves. I'd trade it for the longer battery life in a heartbeat.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
The draining issue is mostly due to the reader running the internal clock when "off", correct?

For me, the easy solution would be to just disable the clock entirely, or at least provide the option. I'm not sure what purpose it really even serves. I'd trade it for the longer battery life in a heartbeat.
What is the clock used for any way? Can you even access it? Wonder if some one forgot to use the power save mode if any in the CPU of the reader.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing View Post
What is the clock used for any way? Can you even access it? Wonder if some one forgot to use the power save mode if any in the CPU of the reader.
Oh yes you can access the clock as seen in my photo above. I have a clock on my display that gets updated every time I change a screen page.

You too can have such if you go to this thread... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10900

Enjoy!
Jon
Old 06-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #12
Nightwing
Addict

Quote:
Oh yes you can access the clock as seen in my photo above. I have a clock on my display that gets updated every time I change a screen page.

You too can have such if you go to this thread... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10900

Enjoy!
Jon
Remember seeing that thread... Tnks for the link! ^_^

Like above. If they dropped the clock and gave me more live would be happy.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:51 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing View Post
Remember seeing that thread... Tnks for the link! ^_^

Like above. If they dropped the clock and gave me more live would be happy.
What would give us more life is to put the cpu into hibernation when it's turned off and only have it polling for the power button. Besides, I think the clock may be built into something that's not shutoffable.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #14
Nightwing
Addict

Quote:
What would give us more life is to put the cpu into hibernation when it's turned off and only have it polling for the power button. Besides, I think the clock may be built into something that's not shutoffable.
Usualy in these chips. The clock is just a set of counters driven by a low freq osc. Some times with its own crystal or keep enough of the main clock chain to run it.

I agree on the hibernation. Which is what it should be... Not clear display and sit like a lcd...
Old 06-06-2007, 08:17 PM   #15
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Is it actively expending power to poll the power button? That seems just blatantly wasteful, when a simple switch or transistor could save that easily.

I guess if it's keeping the OS running to minimize start-up time, that's a tiny bit more reasonable, but even so I can't imagine it would be more than a few extra seconds, since resetting the thing doesn't take very long.

It seems that this device might need a different power consumption paradigm since the actual operation power costs seem to be overshadowed by the standby power costs. As compared to things like iPods and the like.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote