Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #76
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I buy Apple products because they are worth the money. The only people that seem to have an issue with them are the people who don't own any of their products to begin with. Don't base your opinions on bad reviews.
Sometimes it really just comes down to preference. I don't like iOS. I use it five days a week because the work cell constantly attached to my hip is an iPhone. It works, it does what it's supposed to, I simply prefer Android for mobile devices. I've also used Mac computers in a variety of situations (business, design, audio and video production), and I've even provided tech support for Mac users. I prefer Windows. (I've also used multiple flavors of Linux and don't care for those either. Again, simply a matter of preference.)

Apple products are worth your money because you like them and enjoy using them. They are not worth my money because I do not. We all like to think our choices are superior (which is human nature, and the root of the endless OS bickering on here) but in reality, the only superior choice is the one that is right for the individual. If you enjoy using it and does what you need it to do, then it was money well spent, regardless of who makes it or what OS runs on it.

I do like iCloud, though. I wish Google services worked a bit more like iCloud.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #77
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I wanna cry! I wanna cry! ... I bought mine Friday, for 199 ...

Two good things adding up to a bad thing.
Sounds like a lack of communication at B&N.
(Unless they enjoy annoying new customers.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #78
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
B&N is putting them on sale for Mothers Day:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ay/#more-50730

$149 for the HD and $179 for the HD+.

Those that waited, good call; B&N did have something big for monday.
Were not they already discounted overseas a week or two ago?

I like the portability of the HD but a $30 difference in the price I would not buy it to accompany the HD+.

I hope this is not their BIG announcement on Monday.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #79
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, good idea. I actually was going to try that this afternoon.
Good luck.
(Going try to upgrade to the niner?)
Old 05-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #80
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Before start another Apple vs B&N silly thread, that will lead us to no where... let me say this...

-I currently own an iPad mini
-Just bought the Nook HD
-Love and use my kindle PW every day
-Mostly if not all my books are coming from Amazon

I am blessed that I can use and afford all those. However, most people will have to pick one.

The iPad mini, regardless of its price, it is a fantastic tablet and very good for ebooks and PDFs. Yes, you pay more, but you get few important features that you won't find on another device. Here a few

-4G
-4:3 aspect ratio <-- really, really good for PDFs and browsing Internet
-Awesome PDF capabilities with GoodReader
-Fluid, almost never crash, iOs operating system

And yes, you can use RepliGo on Android and most recent Android versions are fluid too, but I have use both and own both! Still, iOS is more fluid and stable with tons of apps to pick. No widgets? true ... not so versatile? true ... and that's why I own an Android phone instead. See? people can own and use different gadgets without being Apple fan-boys. As a software Engineer and DBA, I do that all the time and help me to keep things in perspective, even improve my learning skills.

But like I said on my other post, the iPad mini does not have good resolution for reading and that's why I am still using my Kindle PW for that.

If I would have to pick just one only 7 inches tablet or similar though, Mini would be my choice. But the Nook HD with now access to Google Market and with such a low price, becomes an interesting proposition as well.

Last edited by jocampo; 05-05-2013 at 02:27 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #81
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
If I would have to pick just one only 7 inches tablet or similar though, Mini would be my choice. But the Nook HD with now access to Google Market and with such a low price, becomes an interesting proposition as well.
I think the 16GB HD at $179 is an outstanding value. The only real shortcoming now that it has access to Google Play is the lack of a camera for Skype.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #82
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

returned but not returned ...

Thanks but 8GB is more than enough for me.

I'm planning to use Nook HD at home and for light reading sessions. If 8GB for ebooks is still not enough, which I doubt, I still can use the micro SD slot as expansion.

On a side note, the B&N manager told me this price reduction is only for mother's day. This is in reply to my question why it was not announced Friday in conjunction with Google announcement. Not sure how accurate that could me. But I don't vidualize the Nook HD at lower cost than this, unless they really want to get rid of inventory.

Last edited by jocampo; 05-05-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #83
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Google Play on the Nook HD/+ is a great step for consumers, and the sale is a good deal. However I wonder what these moves signify.

Wasn't the reason the Nook didn't have Google Play was because it was more profitable (or thought to be)?

Do you think there will be another Nook tablet this year?
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #84
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I'll go ahead and jump in on this discussion.

The Nook HD+ is a nice piece of hardware. The screen is gorgeous, it's not too big, and it's generally a responsive device. You probably won't find a better screen or at $250, let alone $180.

That being said, it's not a device I could easily recommend without some massive caveats:

- It's stuck on Android 4.0, which came out about 18 months ago. Android 4.1/4.2 Jelly Bean brought many enhancements to the OS, not the least of which was a noticeable improvement in overall performance.

- While they did just release an update to allow access to Google Play, many apps apparently aren't compatible with the device. You also can't sideload apps, which makes this even worse.

- It's a heavily skinned version of Android, and I think it's vastly inferior to stock Android or even Touchwiz.

- Barnes and Noble isn't exactly in the best shape right now. How much customer support can you expect in the future?

- Gaining root access is much more difficult than other Android device.

- Practically no development support. CM10.1 is running on it, but it's not exactly stable or bug free.

Unless you really, really need that screen size, I would say to just wait for the updated Nexus 7 that is likely to be announced in a couple weeks. It'll likely be $200, have a 1080p screen, and be much more powerful than the HD+. It'll also ship with an unmolested version of Android 4.3, putting it even further ahead the Nook in terms of software.

Last edited by evanft; 05-05-2013 at 05:08 PM.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #85
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I'd have to disagree. I now have a tablet computer for a much cheaper price than an iPad, I'm not tied to iTunes, I can now buy Kindle books directly or Nook books or sideload whatever books I want, and I can now put any app I want on it.
In other words, it is unlikely B&N will make any money from content sales to you.

Quote:
B&N can make money selling their device to that market.
Do they actually make any money selling the devices?

I agree with those saying this is a desperate measure.
They don't make much if any money on selling hardware.
They've cut the content ties, so can't count on tied-in sales from that.
This feels like dumping stock.
As with previous dumped tablets, this can mean a very good deal for those who just want the hardware, and don't care if there is much ongoing support.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #86
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quick question about Play:
Is it only for new purchases or can you download to the Nook apps you already bought for your smartphone.
(My sister is deeply invested in the Play store so this will steer her to the Nook HD or the Nexus 7.)
Old 05-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #87
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Is it only for new purchases or can you download to the Nook apps you already bought for your smartphone.
(My sister is deeply invested in the Play store so this will steer her to the Nook HD or the Nexus 7.)
whatever you bought from Google

Of course, you need to register with same ID, the one you used on you previous purchase.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #88
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Once you buy something in the Play app store it's available across all your devices (you log in with your Google ID). As long as the app is compatible with a given device that is.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #89
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
I rushed to buy a HD+ 16 GB yesterday and upon the price drop, I rushed again to B&N today for an exchange and refund. $180 for such a device is a steal.

I own the original Nook Color (preordered it as soon as it became available), a Kindle 3 and an iPad 2nd gen. None of these devices are perfect and they complement one another. Nothing beats the NC in reading my magazines and books. The Nook app works in the iPad but presentation and handling of the materials are just better in the native NC. The NC remains my all time favorite but sadly, it is time to upgrade it to faster processor and better resolution. The iPad mini would have been my first choice but at such a premium price, the screen resolution is very disappointing. Nexus 7 is descent but it doesn’t have expanded memory or HMDI support which is a deal breaker for me. Galaxy Tab 7 is packed with features that I don’t care for and it doesn't standout in any particular area so overall, not very impressing.

I did not consider the Nook HD or Kindle fire as they are too inflexible. The capability to download apps and behave more like a full tablet can help me consolidating various devices. The accessibility of the Nook HD to the Google apps is a game changer for me. The gorgeous screen, the hardware capability, the price and the apps accessibility put it the best bang for the buck in its class. I am not bothered by potential lack of SW support by B&N or lack of android update in the future. Apple keeps updating the iOS SW version and frankly, my iPad hardware can’t really keep up. At the end of the day, these electronic devices have very limited HW life span and as long as I know that I am getting the best that is offered today, I am ok with it.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #90
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
In other words, it is unlikely B&N will make any money from content sales to you.

And why would you assume that?

They've made quite a bit from me in the few days since I've owned the device, and they've made money from me in the past from both paper book purchases and ebook purchases (from which I stripped their DRM and side-loaded the ebooks onto my other readers - just like I've done with my Kindle purchases over the years).
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote