Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #466
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by term1nat0r View Post
Unfortunately, I did not find it there
Some people describe the same problem. Find another Kindle and recovered from it. But the dump from working Kindla not spread...
And I have no possibility to get another Kindle
First of all, what you ask for is mmcblk0 image - -
Which would be the entire flash device image, including device specific information and personal information.
Sorry - we don't do that.

What you will find is the images of the various partitions on the device all linked on off-site index pages.
(A requirement of this site when copyrighted material is concerned.)

First post, scroll down, section: References and Links, sub-section: Kindle Debricking Images -
There you will find links to the off site index pages of the images available.

They really are there.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #467
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Yes, that worked fine for him already, I think. The only piece missing is the device specific information. And I don't see why anyone should light-heartedly present their own data for this - agreedly - noble cause.

term1nat0r: What you would need to do now is:
- dump the part of the flash that holds the device specific information
- restore sensible values with a hex editor
- write the changed data back to flash.

You need to dump 0x400 Bytes (1kByte), starting at position 0x00040c00.

The first 16 bytes are the serial number (ASCII encoded), 12 Bytes starting at offset 88 (decimal) represent the MAC address (ASCII-encoded again, here it's the Wifi-MAC, I don't have a 3G unit to test).

Note that serial number and MAC are stored in a special section of the Flash which is _not_ part of any partition. No need to dump the whole device, though. See the exact offset/length I cited above in this post.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #468
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Waboom. : D

you d man
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #469
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Short addendum: I could introduce a "serial and MAC changer" into k3flasher - but won't have time for that any time soon, unfortunately. But when I finally get to do it, I'd be glad if I could add WAN MAC address data, too - I need to dig into the scripts in the firmware to see what they store where in there.

A bit off-topic here, since this is about ATK, not k3flasher.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #470
Wibber
Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: kindle K3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Yes, that worked fine for him already, I think. The only piece missing is the device specific information. And I don't see why anyone should light-heartedly present their own data for this - agreedly - noble cause.

term1nat0r: What you would need to do now is:
- dump the part of the flash that holds the device specific information
- restore sensible values with a hex editor
- write the changed data back to flash.

You need to dump 0x400 Bytes (1kByte), starting at position 0x00040c00.

The first 16 bytes are the serial number (ASCII encoded), 12 Bytes starting at offset 88 (decimal) represent the MAC address (ASCII-encoded again, here it's the Wifi-MAC, I don't have a 3G unit to test).

Note that serial number and MAC are stored in a special section of the Flash which is _not_ part of any partition. No need to dump the whole device, though. See the exact offset/length I cited above in this post.
Awesome, thanks man I think this is what I needed!

Hopefully I didn't overwrite the original serial!

So I can do this with K3flasher?

Cheers
Wibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #471
hawhill
Wizard

You can do this with ATK or k3flasher. k3flasher might have a direct-edit mode in the future - though not yet, not soon. Plus there are valid reasons to not make it too easy to modify serial numbers and MAC addresses. They do have misuse potential, especially in the light of Amazon blacklisting devices based on serial number (not entirely sure if they do, though)...
Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #472
term1nat0r
term1nat0r began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 SO
Thanks a lot!!!

Finally I did it!
Thanks a lot to all who helped me in solving my problem! First is: hawhill, knc1, geekmaster, twobob and many others whose messages I have used.
Wi-fi works, the serial number on a place
Here are just a Kindle had to register offline. I suspect that the blame for the SSL certificate that is in the 411 is MISSED.

May suggest what can be done with this?
This certificate is not private information?
term1nat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #473
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am glad to hear it.

My apologes but I dont quite understand the final problem.

So it IS registered or it IS NOT registered?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #474
term1nat0r
term1nat0r began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I am glad to hear it.

My apologes but I dont quite understand the final problem.

So it IS registered or it IS NOT registered?

Thanks
I used a hack to cheat Kindl and he thought that it was registered.
In reality, when you try to register, Kindle can not connect to the site and said that it is possible wi-fi does not work. But I have seen information that this certificate is responsible for establishing an SSL connection to be happening that registration.
term1nat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #475
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Start over with a known good pair of factory images for both the systems (your Kindle is a 'dual boot' machine).

Until you do that, you are just wasting your time.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #476
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by term1nat0r View Post
I used a hack to cheat Kindl and he thought that it was registered.
In reality, when you try to register, Kindle can not connect to the site and said that it is possible wi-fi does not work. But I have seen information that this certificate is responsible for establishing an SSL connection to be happening that registration.
Ah right yeah I vaguely remember this.

Hmm. some file or another is made by the amazon people as you say If I Recall Correctly.

You have fixed the troublesome required missing data areas.

I would simply overwrite the main partition and the MATCHING kernel at this point.

You should be good to then register it like everyone else assuming you got the details correct, at which point that file will be generated IIRC.

K3 SO still have 3g right? Yeah sure they do, for the adverts.. So just overwrite the current "mangled mess" with fresh.

I would do that. what you do is up to you. I would do that.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:54 AM   #477
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
sorry term1nat0r i havent been aroun din awhile. i can only say if you Still cant get your Kindle to Register. (if thats whats goin on) just press on amazon's Heals. its how they finally got to replacing my unit.

the orginal issue you referance din PM my K3 was an Wifi Only with SO unit. i made teh mistake of NOT backing up devid. (i still suggest so we dont have anyone else making this same mistake) that add in the guide to backup devid before doing anything.

and as well im not super sure but while i tried before i sent out the Dead K3, i tried adding in manually the missing certs.. still nada. the only thing missing at that point that wasnt letting the dead unit register, it still had a garbled "Manufacturing ID" (which in diags it listed as some garblygook..)

Last edited by CaelThunderwing; 02-15-2013 at 03:59 AM.
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #478
chronosxiii
chronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3
My Kindle 3 WiFi keeps freezing, I reboot it 10x times and nothing changed.
I tried factory reset and nothing changed either.
It all started after I installed Sudokan, after a few days of that - it kept freezing and there was no way to make it work.
Now it randomly freezes and reboot itself, is anyone here an expert and has a few spare minute to guide me on a solution path, through PM, directly reply, IRC or anything else!

Much appreciated
chronosxiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #479
knc1
Going Viral

The always #1 question:

Is the battery fully re-charged?
Make sure, leave on charger over-night at least.

Then see if that makes a difference.

If it doesn't - then install the KUAL launcher and I'll post a button to give you a battery status report - which should report its current capacity (which might be very low now).
Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #480
twobob

Sudokan?

or Duokan?

I would grab a k3flasher copy.

install that. put it in WAITING FOR DEVICE MODE (like it says clearly in the README for k3flasher)

jump into the right mode via HOLD DOWN POWER + -Vol then release power, then -vol

And go from there.

Check the debricking threads.

basically I am suggesting you HOSE duokan out of existence.

if that is not a solution you wish to hear I am right out of them.

Hope that helps.

You could try the DUOKAN thread also for tips.

Tags
debrick, debricking, howto, kindle 3