Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 03:41 AM   #256
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
I think the dark horse in the content race is Google. If you take a peek at books.google.com, they have *millions* of books scanned. The agreement (on hold due to legal wrangling) to make out-of-print books available is just the start. They want to sell all of those books, and eat Amazon's breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Their public domain works are available in ePub format - you can bet they can produce any of their scanned docs in any format they like, as soon as they work out a deal with the publishers.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:48 AM   #257
barrow
barrow began at the beginning.

Device: Want: Kindle 2 / Cybook Gen3 / Sony Daily Reader
Quote:
One thing worth noting: although the Kindle IN THEORY allows you to change the dictionary, there are NO replacement dictionaries currently available for it. That, at least, was the position a couple of months ago; I don't know if it's changed since.
Thanks Harry. You're right, the Kindle does let you change the default dictionary, so in effect there are already "replacement dictionaries" in foreign languages. However, making this change does not allow the new dictionary to be the "lookup dictionary", that thing you do "on the fly" when picking a word in the text. So in effect, it doesn't really allow you to change dictionary at all.

You can only ever use the lookup function in English.

For the record, I don't deny the right of Amazon to make it English only if they choose. It is their company, their language, their product, they can do whatever the hell they want. Good luck to them!

Interesting that the European produced (is it french?) Cybook offers multi-dictionary/language support, but the equivalent Amazon and Sony products from the States do not.
barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:52 AM   #258
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The CyBook has excellent dictionary support, but unfortunately the user interface for dictionary lookup is a little clumsy. You have to:

- Press the "Menu" button.
- Scroll down 4 items on the menu and select "Lookup". This puts the device into "lookup" mode with a "word highlight" cursor on the screen.
- Use the nav control to move the highlight cursor up, down, left, right until the word you want to look up is highlighted.
- Press the "Enter" key to search for the word in the currently installed dictionary.

Compare that to "double tapping" the word on the Sony's touch screen and seeing the definition instantly.

The Gen3 method works, but you wouldn't want to use it to look up dozens of words on every page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:58 AM   #259
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, that is incorrect. The Opus is most certainly an eInk device.

One thing worth noting: although the Kindle IN THEORY allows you to change the dictionary, there are NO replacement dictionaries currently available for it. That, at least, was the position a couple of months ago; I don't know if it's changed since.
Not exactly, I know people who has changed it and the lookup works. Sorry by not posting the link, but it's in Spanish. It works with any mobipocket dictionary.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:59 AM   #260
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
To be fair to the sony, their first device with dictionary support is only just starting to get released in non-english speaking countries so there's time for their dictionaries to also improve too.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:02 AM   #261
LucasCorso
Enthusiast
LucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrow View Post
Thanks Harry. You're right, the Kindle does let you change the default dictionary, so in effect there are already "replacement dictionaries" in foreign languages. However, making this change does not allow the new dictionary to be the "lookup dictionary", that thing you do "on the fly" when picking a word in the text. So in effect, it doesn't really allow you to change dictionary at all.

You can only ever use the lookup function in English.

For the record, I don't deny the right of Amazon to make it English only if they choose. It is their company, their language, their product, they can do whatever the hell they want. Good luck to them!

Interesting that the European produced (is it french?) Cybook offers multi-dictionary/language support, but the equivalent Amazon and Sony products from the States do not.
Hello. I don't think that's true, if I understand correctly. I've built a romanian dictionary and when I put the cursor before a word the short definion appears, and if I press Enter the dictionary page with that word is open. Then Back takes me to the book. I don't have the Kindle with me but I can post a picture this week-end if you want. But it's true some dictionaries from internet are not built right (i.e. with inflections), so it is not working all the time like that. I have this problem with a French dictionary, I could build a better one but I don't have a database with definitions...
The only problem I see is when reading the short definition (using the 5-way cursor), the specific language characters don't display. This happens also if I put a specific language code in a book name.
LucasCorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:07 AM   #262
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Not exactly, I know people who has changed it and the lookup works. Sorry by not posting the link, but it's in Spanish. It works with any mobipocket dictionary.
To clarify, I was referring to commercially published dictionaries. Is there any commercially published "big name" dictionary that you can buy, and install on the Kindle as a replacement for the supplied English dictionary? I was under the impression that there were none, but I would be happy to be wrong about that!
Old 10-09-2009, 04:12 AM   #263
barrow

Quote:
Compare that to "double tapping" the word on the Sony's touch screen and seeing the definition instantly.
Couldn't agree with you more Harry (now that you've made me think about it!). The Sony double tap is incredibly efficient compared to all other options.

Quote:
To be fair to the sony, their first device with dictionary support is only just starting to get released in non-english speaking countries so there's time for their dictionaries to also improve too.
If the Sony had multi-dictionary support for different languages, I would buy it in a second! The dictionary/translation option is the only real feature I desire, aside from being able to read current doc types on an e-reader.

Quote:
I don't have the Kindle with me but I can post a picture this week-end if you want.
If you wouldn't mind Lucas, that would be wonderful. I'd love to see what you mean.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:29 AM   #264
barrow

Quote:
And don't forget that, at this moment, if you have ePub you don't have dictionary.
Oh and Terisa, as far as I can tell, ePub and dictionary support are not mutually exclusive (the new Sony Reader Daily Edition uses ePub and offers a dictionary).

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665981151
Old 10-09-2009, 04:59 AM   #265
karo02
Enthusiast
karo02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flub View Post
Yup. I was having those thoughts too. Amazon seem to have done a very good job at getting US publishers on board. Hopefully they'll be able to do the same with the international Kindle.

Hopefully soon since the selection outside the US is pretty pitiful.
My thought exactly.
I'm french, I own a PRS-505 for almost a year now, I'm perfectly happy with it
except that there's almost no ebooks available in french (and the few available are quite expensive...).
Although I have no intention to buy an international Kindle, I'm thrilled with this announcement because I hope that Amazon will be able to boost the number of ebooks available in french, at a reasonnable cost.
karo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:38 AM   #266
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To clarify, I was referring to commercially published dictionaries. Is there any commercially published "big name" dictionary that you can buy, and install on the Kindle as a replacement for the supplied English dictionary? I was under the impression that there were none, but I would be happy to be wrong about that!
Yes, you can buy them at fictionwise, Mobipocket or Amazon. Normal dictionaries in Mobipocket format.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:41 AM   #267
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thank you, Terisa. I had thought that they had DRM which prevented them from working on the Kindle. Glad to hear that's not the case.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:57 AM   #268
barrow

Harry, could you report back and let us know if the dictionary you buy works as the default lookup dictionary? Oh and what kind of dictionary it is. Many thanks

ps...do you actually own all those kinds of devices as indicated under your name? Impressive!
Old 10-09-2009, 06:01 AM   #269
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrow View Post
Harry, could you report back and let us know if the dictionary you buy works as the default lookup dictionary? Oh and what kind of dictionary it is. Many thanks
I don't intend to buy a dictionary. I'll be happy with the built-in English one.

Quote:
ps...do you actually own all those kinds of devices as indicated under your name? Impressive!
Yes .
Old 10-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #270
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Yes, you can buy them at fictionwise, Mobipocket or Amazon. Normal dictionaries in Mobipocket format.
Uh, arent those dictionaries usually DRM protected (My chambers was) and with amazon not allowing you add the Kindle's PID in most stores, how doe you authorize it.

I Know you can DeDrm it but besides that is it actually an option?
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote