Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #61
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I do not like LMB. Every time I take up one of Miles books just to re-enjoy one scene, I can't put it down anymore. Just the thought that there is another new one makes me all smiley and shivery.

Scenes that first come to mind:
Kittens and butter bugs
Cordelia's return from 'shopping'
Arde Mayhew: "You mean he's like that all the time?"
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:11 AM   #62
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
Cordelia's return from 'shopping'
That is just such a classic scene. Perfect in every way.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #63
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Looks like I may have something to spend my remaining fictionwise micro payment money on.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #64
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
Damn you all! Now I have to go to Baen and find Cryoburn (even in ARC). I own/have read/love all of LMB's books, and another Miles book .... Sorry, gotta go ...
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #65
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I'm late to the party, but I, too, love Bujold's writing & stories. I'm reading The Warrior's Apprentice now and loving it. Can't wait to plow through the rest of the Miles books!
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #66
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
http://www.baen.com/chapters/W200308...5583.htm?blurb

Can only be read online, but it's a short read.
Is it meant to end at chapter 11 (or 12, I forget)? Now that you-all have hooked another reader ... I need to know if this book is done before I go back & start the beginning of the series. The table of contents indicates there is more, but the links stop at ch 11 (or 12).

(Like I needed another series to be hooked on!!! )
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #67
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
The table of contents indicates there is more, but the links stop at ch 11 (or 12).
That's because it's an extended online sample, and naturally they're not putting the entire thing up to all and sundry. But if you buy the book and go back while logged in to your account, or download the portable versions, then it'll be all there.

Incidentally, the first "chapter" is a complete, standalone novella you can enjoy for free, and an excellent read in its own right which sets the stage for the rest of the collection.

I've been recommending "The Borders of Infinity" as the perfect LMB intro for years, and I'm very pleased that now I can direct people to a full online version.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #68
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Looks like the preview stops more than halfway through Brothers in Arms -- the story itself meant to have sixteen chapters. Buy the ebook to see the rest.

EDIT: Whoops. Cross-posted.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #69
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Sort of resurrecting this thread.

Currently listening to Barrayar on my Kindle as an audio book from Audible. Whether it's the reader or my current mood, I'm throughly enjoy it, even of though there is still some aspects of a romance novel

The lady is a good writer and the humor just keeps coming through.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:05 AM   #70
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Sort of resurrecting this thread.

Currently listening to Barrayar on my Kindle as an audio book from Audible. Whether it's the reader or my current mood, I'm throughly enjoy it, even of though there is still some aspects of a romance novel

The lady is a good writer and the humor just keeps coming through.
Who's the performer or reader, and which company issued the audio book?
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #71
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
Who's the performer or reader, and which company issued the audio book?
The reader is Grover Gardner who seems to do a lot of audio books. Publisher is Blackstone Audio. It's been years since I listened to audio books, but this one has been a good one for my morning commutes to work.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #72
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Okay, I love Baen and I love the Honor Harrington series by David Weber.
This thread has made me want to buy some of the Miles books but it seems reading through the posts here that people have started with different books. Is there an order I should be following? Were the two "prequel" novels about Miles' parents published first? Will reading the stand-alone novella first ruin anything else or do all the books finish and end a main plot in and of themselves?

Baen says that Shards of Honor was first and The Warrior's Apprentice was second...so where does Barryar fit in?

Thanks!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #73
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Barrayar came a couple of years later, publication-wise, but immediately after Shards of Honor, chronology-wise. I read them in publication order (since I was reading them as they came out) and didn't suffer for it. If you have a choice, though, I'd probably go with chronological order.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #74
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Wikipedia's Vorkosigan Saga entry has the novels listed in internal chronological order.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #75
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Okay, I love Baen and I love the Honor Harrington series by David Weber.
This thread has made me want to buy some of the Miles books but it seems reading through the posts here that people have started with different books. Is there an order I should be following? Were the two "prequel" novels about Miles' parents published first? Will reading the stand-alone novella first ruin anything else or do all the books finish and end a main plot in and of themselves?

Baen says that Shards of Honor was first and The Warrior's Apprentice was second...so where does Barryar fit in?

Thanks!
This is how I read them -- it's chronological as far as Miles' life goes. Some of these are contained in Omnibus editions, and the first two are the story of Miles' parents and his birth.

Shards of Honour
Barrayar
The Warrior's Apprentice
The Mountains of Mourning
The Vor Game
Cetaganda
Ethan of Athos (Miles is not in this one)
Labyrinth
Borders of Infinity
Brothers in Arms
Mirror Dance
Memory
Komarr
A Civil Campaign
Winterfair Gifts
Diplomatic Immunity

A book that takes place earlier, but in the same world, is "Falling Free." It's very good too.

Edit: I forgot Cryoburn! It's the latest one, after Diplomatic Immunity.

Last edited by bjones6416; 10-07-2010 at 12:01 PM.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bujold