Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
chrissy
Enthusiast
chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Kindle wear and tear: How's yours holding up?

After several months of using my Kindle almost daily, I found that the plastic casing started to show visible signs of wear and tear. The buttons to page back and forth in particular started showing shiny, worn marks due to repeated use -- a lot like how frequently-pressed keys on a keyboard (such as the space bar) display worn patches after a while.

I was a little disappointed to see this after only a few months of regular but careful usage. Perhaps a decal should have been applied prior to using the device, but then I really wasn't expecting such quick degradation of the plastic.

I don't have close-up photos of the impacted areas to share here, and have since parted ways with the Kindle, not personally having found the wireless connectivity or keyboard useful. I just purchased a Sony PRS-700 mainly for its touchscreen, built-in light and generally what seems to be better hardware quality as it is made of mostly metal. The contrast isn't as sharp as the Kindle's; so far this hasn't been a problem at all, but I'm going to take the next week to see if this will be an issue for me. The screen is made of plastic, but since swiping to page back and forth doesn't involve any fingernail contact, I'm hoping it will hold up better than the Kindle has.

How have other Kindles been faring so far -- has anyone else here encountered the same wear issue?
chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Mine is all good but then again, I've used a silicone skin on it for most of the time I've owned it (since April). No cracks or wear marks. The keyboard area is a little dingy at the moment but it's pretty easy to clean. When my Tego skin arrives, it should take care of that issue permanently.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Mine doesn't show any visible signs of wear and I have no skin -- silicone or sticky -- applied. So far, I've read almost 50 books on the Kindle since purchasing it in February. 22 of these have been pretty long books, over 400 pages in their print versions. I do keep the Kindle in the cover and my fingers are on the cover rather than the device when I'm reading. I only lift my thumb to lightly press the Next Page button at the appropriate time.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Not being an especially observant person, I had to go open my Kindle and look it over carefully.

Nope. Still in pristine condition. I"ve had mine since June and read daily.

I do use the m-edge, I like the little ledge it gives while reading.

When reading or carrying it around, I usually have my fingers either where the 'amazon kindle' logo is, or on the cursor bar.

On mine, the key I usually use most is the 'home' key....and it still looks like new.

Have you tried calling Kindle support and letting them know? If nothing else, it would let them 'track' any further problems you could have.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Both of mine are in pristine condition after several months of daily use. No wear and tear at all.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I use mine every day and there is a little scuffing on the right next page button from the m-edge cover, otherwise no problems. As you can see, I just put my Tego skin on, so no worries!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Chrissy, you seem to have gotten yours recently. Anyone else? Maybe switching case manufacturers or materials is the difference?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
5 months and going strong. Had 1 freeze up. Re-set and good to go. What a great toy!
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Mine's a year old and used every day. No sign of any wear at all.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:14 AM   #10
chrissy
Enthusiast
chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv View Post
Chrissy, you seem to have gotten yours recently. Anyone else? Maybe switching case manufacturers or materials is the difference?
I had used the Kindle as-is since it arrived in May -- no decal/skin/protective case. The included cover was used when I brought it outside, but not when reading at home.
chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:20 AM   #11
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Uh.. what the heck is that picture??
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #12
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
chrissy, I have had mine since last Dec and read a lot every day. Entire device looks like new.

Luckly, the original cases were leather before they switched to plastic, so my cover gets smoother and more flexible all the time. There are a lot of other good cases available you might consider.

But before that, as you are still under the warranty, give the support guys a call about this. I'll bet at the very least they will give you a new cover, and perhaps replace the Kindle too.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
For the Ladies...

This is a bit off-topic, but here is a link to a purse that is perfect for any e-reader. Lots of nice padding also! https://www.buxtonbag.tv/?cid=545466
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
This is a bit off-topic, but here is a link to a purse that is perfect for any e-reader. Lots of nice padding also! https://www.buxtonbag.tv/?cid=545466
Dixie, I"m glad you like yours........I sent mine back. That little netting holder? It kept opening, and I kept losing stuff out of it. I did love the idea, but every time I opened it, since there were holders on both sides, something would fall out.
Hows the eye doing?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Well, I fit it into the main section. It is too small for a purse but was OK for the reader.

What got me thinking was that I ordered a matching laptop case this morning, seeing as how I can't use my device anynmore.

Eye seems be doing well.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote