Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #376
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Trying to wring the most amount of money possible out of Apple before the contract expires in 2014, when Apple will switch to a different supplier, as they have already done with screens.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #377
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Good on Samsung. It's the law of supply and demand, apple currently can't go anywhere else, so they have to swallow the hike. If you know the goose is going away, you might as well kill it.
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #378
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Good on Samsung. It's the law of supply and demand, apple currently can't go anywhere else, so they have to swallow the hike. If you know the goose is going away, you might as well kill it.
Defending price gouging by a monopoly. That's a new one.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #379
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
When I initially read your post I took the first sentence to mean that previously you were making fun of Apple fans and were extending the derogatory name to fans of other brands,
I was making fun of Apple fans. But I never extended the term "sheeple" to Android fans.

Quote:
since there is nothing indicating that you are comparing Apple fans to other fans in that sentence. Then you said that "sheeple" are more prone to being conned, and since at this point I thought that you were using the term to describe fans in general, I took it to mean that fans are more likely to be conned than non-fans,
When I said "I don't really believe the fruity folk are any more likely than the robot fans to be conned by this classic scam" ... I was explicitly comparing Apple fans to other (Android) fans.

Quote:
I see now that you were comparing Apple fans to Android fans, But I still don't understand why you would say that Apple fans are more likely to be conned in one sentence and equally likely in the next, and also why this would come in reply to my post, where I didn't mention Android fans.
Because at first I was ribbing Apple fans. But then, when I wrote"But seriously ..." I stopped kidding around and said what I really believed. That's what "seriously" is meant to denote!

As for why this came in reply to your post? Because in your reply to my post you said you disagreed with a point (and a distinction: fans vs. regular consumers) I was never making in the first place! So my reply to you was an attempt to clear that up and repeat the point I was really trying to make.

Hopefully this clears that up.

Back to the scam ... I actually had a co-worker fall prey to something very similar in NY over 10 years ago -- before the iPad or Android ever existed! She had bought what she thought was a hot electronics item (IIRC, it was a something like a DVD player) from some con artists on a street corner, and all that was in the box were rocks. We all thought it was hysterically funny. She was mad, but even she had to laugh it off too. How can you can get really angry over something like this? It's not like she was mugged or something. And it's a good lesson to learn about being a smarter consumer and how you spend your money.

I relay this story in part because of the skepticism by speakingtohe that the recent incident in Arlington actually happened. It's such an old scam.

--Pat
Old 11-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #380
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
You call it price gouging, I call it fair market pricing.

I'm glad Samsung is slugging back for Apple's over-litigious behavior. Why should Samsung play nice after Apple went to war on them?

--Pat
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #381
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Huh?? Monopoly? There are plenty of other suppliers Apple can (and likely will) switch to. If Apple chose to be hostile to a supplier with whom they had a contract that allowed a price hike, they should not expect preferential treatment.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #382
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
It's called karma.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #383
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
As for why this came in reply to your post? Because in your reply to my post you said you disagreed with a point (and a distinction: fans vs. regular consumers) I was never making in the first place! So my reply to you was an attempt to clear that up and repeat the point I was really trying to make.
When I said "this" I was referring to post #367 where you brought up Android fans for some reason, not post #371 where you are repeating the same point.

In post #362 you said that "this is what happens to "sheeple"". In post #363 expressed my disagreement with the idea that fans are the ones getting conned, making this an implied distinction fans vs. regular consumers. So I don't understand why, when replying to me in post #367 you would bring up the susceptibility of Android fans to getting conned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Trying to wring the most amount of money possible out of Apple before the contract expires in 2014, when Apple will switch to a different supplier, as they have already done with screens.
You are forgetting why Apple was using Samsung for screens to begin with:
Quote:
August 10, 2011
According to sources disclosing information to tech industry site DigiTimes, Apple has moved orders of iPad 2 displays from LG Display to Samsung and Chimei Innolux after quality issues with LG Display units caused shipping delays.
And the reasons why at the beginning of the year it was believed that Samsung would make the screens for the new iPad:
Quote:
Mar 14, 2012
“The display specifications on the new iPad are very demanding in terms of the very high resolution,” Jakhanwal said in an e-mail. “Achieving this high resolution without compromising on the power consumption and brightness and maintaining Apple’s quality standards are supposedly proving to be a challenge for LG Display and Sharp.”
Apple didn't use Samsung displays because they got them at the best price, they used them when they couldn't rely on another supplier for quality. If this is the reason for using Samsung processors, then they will continue to use them for as long as Samsung makes the best processors for tablets. Anyway, they have more than enough profit margin to cover the increase in price.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #384
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Samsung's done playing nice.

Source
Better watch out who you piss off.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #385
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
It's called karma.
Yes, we're well aware you're out for revenge. I'm not sure how a company manages to instill such thorough loyalty in a customer, though. Did Samsung put your children through university? Drive you to the hospital at 4 in the morning?

Maybe it's the other away around and you just hate Apple. Did someone from Cupertino kick your dog? Spit in your burger that one time?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #386
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
When I said "this" I was referring to post #367 where you brought up Android fans for some reason, not post #371 where you are repeating the same point.

In post #362 you said that "this is what happens to "sheeple"". In post #363 expressed my disagreement with the idea that fans are the ones getting conned, making this an implied distinction fans vs. regular consumers. So I don't understand why, when replying to me in post #367 you would bring up the susceptibility of Android fans to getting conned.
What I said in post 362 was made in jest. It appeared the joke was lost on you and you took exception to what I said by your response in 363 in which you created your distinction and essentially spouted a well known maxim for consumers -- if it seems too good to be true it probably is! So, my response in 367 was essentially to say -- lighten up, I was joking, and I really don't believe that Apple fans are any more likely than Android fans to be conned in this particular manner. (As for sheeple being more prone to other types of cons/scams, that's a different matter! ) Hence, no need for any distinctions to be made.

I should add that I think your making a distinction between "fans" and regular consumers is an artificial and false one. It's a distinction that is totally irrelevant to my original post (363).

All fans (of technology) are to some extent consumers. And in this big sea of consumers there is a wide gamut -- from the very cautious and savvy shoppers, to careless and uninformed ones. The lady in Arlington, while likely an Apple fan, is also likely a careless and uninformed consumer.

So, bottom line, I replied to you the way I did because I didn't see the relevancy to my post of the distinction you were making, I didn't agree with the distinction your were making, and so I just wanted to clarify and reiterate my original post, assuming you hadn't understood it.

--Pat
Old 11-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #387
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Yes, we're well aware you're out for revenge. I'm not sure how a company manages to instill such thorough loyalty in a customer, though. Did Samsung put your children through university? Drive you to the hospital at 4 in the morning?

Maybe it's the other away around and you just hate Apple. Did someone from Cupertino kick your dog? Spit in your burger that one time?
Speaking for myself, there is this ill will toward Apple because I think they are being overly litigious -- to the point where it stifles competition and innovation and raises costs for consumers. I hope Apple's competitors file patents for every little thing they do -- no matter how ridiculous it seems -- just to be able to turn the tables on Apple in the future.

--Pat
Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #388
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Speaking for myself, there is this ill will toward Apple because I think they are being overly litigious -- to the point where it stifles competition and innovation and raises costs for consumers. I hope Apple's competitors file patents for every little thing they do -- no matter how ridiculous it seems -- just to be able to turn the tables on Apple in the future.

--Pat
Apple appears to be falling into the same trap that Microsoft did. Apple, like Microsoft of old, is so totally dominating the tech landscape. But that isn't enough for them. Paranoia is setting in and their survival instinct has kicked into an unhealthy overdrive. Perhaps the loss of Steve Jobs has rattled them more than they expected.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #389
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Samsung's done playing nice.

Source
My guess is that the Samsung price is fair.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #390
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
I should add that I think your making a distinction between "fans" and regular consumers is an artificial and false one. It's a distinction that is totally irrelevant to my original post (363).

All fans (of technology) are to some extent consumers. And in this big sea of consumers there is a wide gamut -- from the very cautious and savvy shoppers, to careless and uninformed ones. The lady in Arlington, while likely an Apple fan, is also likely a careless and uninformed consumer.
Clarify something for me. Since according to your device list you have an ipod, and since according to you there is no distinction between fans and regular consumers, and since you call apple fans "sheeple" do you call yourself "sheeple"?
Closed Thread