Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #166
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
THANK YOU guys for the work you put into this. Is there a Mac version for this? I would love to be able to use it.
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #167
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arad26 View Post
THANK YOU guys for the work you put into this. Is there a Mac version for this? I would love to be able to use it.
It is written in C#, so I kind of screwed myself on cross-compatibility...
I think there might be a way to run .Net stuff on the Mac, but I'm not sure. I have a VMWare Mac OS environment setup that I can test it on when I get a chance.

If I wanted to make it the most useful, I'd have done it all as a Python plugin for Calibre, but I didn't really want to deal with that.

Last edited by Ephemerality; 03-03-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #168
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
It is written in C#, so I kind of screwed myself on cross-compatibility...
I think there might be a way to run .Net stuff on the Mac, but I'm not sure. I have a VMWare Mac OS environment setup that I can test it on when I get a chance.

If I wanted to make it the most useful, I'd have done it all as a Python plugin for Calibre, but I didn't really want to deal with that.
I would greatly appreciate if you can make a Calibre plugin ..... PLEASE
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #169
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem is that I don't know Python very well, let alone the abilities of Calibre, and I don't really have much time to work on it. I use C# for work, so that's why I used it for this in the first place.
Mjwilson was the one who put out the first Calibre plugin of the x-ray builder, so I don't know what his plans are in regards to that. I'd prefer to have him update his rather than release a separate replacement anyway.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #170
loneraven
loneraven can extract oil from cheeseloneraven can extract oil from cheeseloneraven can extract oil from cheeseloneraven can extract oil from cheeseloneraven can extract oil from cheeseloneraven can extract oil from cheeseloneraven can extract oil from cheeseloneraven can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thank you for your hard work on this project.

One problem I have encountered is with eBooks that contain special HTML formatting on some of the words. Below is an excerpt from one of the books I tried to process.

Something went wrong while searching for start of highlight.
Was looking for (or one of the aliases of): The Iron Throne
Searching in: "My throne? You mean, the <i>Iron</i> Throne?" The girl was more confused than ever. "He never stole that, Tommen is . . ."

Scanning book content: 93.9%
Was looking for (or one of the aliases of): The Honor of Oldtown
Searching in: They reached Oldtown on a cold damp morning, when the fog was so thick that the beacon of the Hightower was the only part of the city to be seen. A boom stretched across the harbor, linking two dozen rotted hulks. Just behind it stood a line of warships, anchored by three big dromonds and Lord Hightower's towering four-decked banner ship, the <i>Honor of Oldtown.</i> Once again the <i>Cinnamon Wind</i> had to submit to inspection. This time it was Lord Leyton's son Gunthor who came aboard, in a cloth-of-silver cloak and a suit of grey ename led scales. Ser Gunthor had studied at the Citadel for several years and spoke the Summer Tongue, so he and Qurulu Mo adjourned to the captain's cabin for a privy conference.

Scanning book content: 96.3%
Was looking for (or one of the aliases of): Ice
Searching in: A S<font size="1">ONG OF</font> I<font size="1">CE AND</font> F<font size="1">IRE</font>

As you can see, it looks like any time there are any special HTML characters in the text being searched, the application throws an error message.
loneraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #171
Ephemerality
Addict

v1.20 uploaded (#145), fixes a crash that occurred when there was an empty paragraph tag in a book.
Also added a warning if the database name is 31 characters long... if the book's title in Calibre is longer than 31 character it may cause the WG error on the Kindle when you open the X-Ray.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #172
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by arad26 View Post
I would greatly appreciate if you can make a Calibre plugin ..... PLEASE
@arad It's effort. Pointing the source code at someone who a) has an interest in doing it and b) has done something similar before would probably have more impact... "Diap dealer" does have some experience in this area IIRC for example.

but as Ephemerality it would be a learning curve he doesn't want to undertake. Asking someone to learn an entire new language (at a minimum) is hardly fair (never mind the Calibre API, Testing, etc.)

Perhaps have a look at the sources yourself, and a previous project that has created a plugin and make an informed judgement about how much work that might be. More than "little".

@Ephemerality Big respect for the tool.

@arad if you want someone to climb a mountain with you... be prepared to at least carry their bags on the way up...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:00 AM   #173
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneraven View Post
Thank you for your hard work on this project.

Scanning book content: 96.3%
Was looking for (or one of the aliases of): Ice
Searching in: A S<font size="1">ONG OF</font> I<font size="1">CE AND</font> F<font size="1">IRE</font>

As you can see, it looks like any time there are any special HTML characters in the text being searched, the application throws an error message.
Sorry, I didn't notice your post until just now! Thanks for trying it out.
It's kind of the HTML that's causing the issue but not in the way you might think (I have it setup so it *should* match regardless); in the first 2 cases, the term it's searching for has a capitalized "The" whereas in the text it's lower case. Normally it would have just skipped over the paragraph all together (in which case if you noticed it, an alias could be added), but those terms are part of the Glossary section on Shelfari, which default to being case insensitive!
Buuuut since there's HTML in there, it passes the case insensitive search and gets to the HTML-matching section where I conveniently forgot to include case-insensitivity

TL;DR: I'll take a look and fix it tomorrow. Thanks for your support

Edit: I think I've got it fixed, it ran through my copy of Feast for Crows fine. The change is pushed to the google repo, but I didn't have a chance to upload a new binary, will be up tonight around 10EST.

Edit 2: v1.21 uploaded! (download) Let me know if it works or if you have any other crashes or issues.

Last edited by Ephemerality; 03-04-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #174
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've got it working fine bar 1 problem - when I click on a "Term", I get something like in the attached screenshot:

"Characters" work fine, it's just "Terms" that exhibit this problem.

Also, how do I use the "aliases" and "chapters" files?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #175
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
I've got it working fine bar 1 problem - when I click on a "Term", I get something like in the attached screenshot:

"Characters" work fine, it's just "Terms" that exhibit this problem.

Also, how do I use the "aliases" and "chapters" files?
That sort of situation happens when a term wasn't found in the book. In that example there, it looks like there was no description for it on Shelfari either.
If the term actually shows up in the book but slightly different than Shelfari has it listed, that's where the aliases come in.
The alias file for the book is saved to the /ext/ folder. The character name goes first, followed by a pipe character, then a comma-delimited list of aliases. Here is an example:
Code:
Eddard \"Ned\" Stark|Eddard,Ned
Catelyn Stark|Catelyn
Jon Snow|Jon
Robb Stark|Robb
Sansa Stark|Sansa
Arya Stark|Arya
Bran Stark|Bran
They are parsed left to right, so the simplest ones should be farthest right.
An example:
Code:
Captain Holly Short|Captain Short,Holly Short,Holly
If "Holly" was the first alias, then it would always be matched before "Holly Short".

Chapters are similar. If the chapters were found properly (should always work if the book was put through Calibre), they will be exported to the /ext/ folder as well.
Each chapter line is "Name|start|end" where start and end are the book locs.
If the table of contents was built by Calibre, I normally go in and delete the Cover, Acknowledgements, Copyright, etc chapters.

If you use -r on the command line, the rawml will be saved to the output folder, so you can open it and search for terms to help build the alias list.
I use Notepad++ to help find the locs for chapters if I'm building them manually.

Last edited by Ephemerality; 03-05-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #176
loneraven
loneraven can extract oil from cheeseloneraven can extract oil from cheeseloneraven can extract oil from cheeseloneraven can extract oil from cheeseloneraven can extract oil from cheeseloneraven can extract oil from cheeseloneraven can extract oil from cheeseloneraven can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for updating the code to accommodate the HTML special characters. I tested it on about 20 books and didn't encounter any errors. Keep up the great work!
loneraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #177
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When do you out the ext folder on the Kindle?

Also, how are you meant to know all the aliases without reading the book first? lol
Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 AM   #178
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
When do you out the ext folder on the Kindle?

Also, how are you meant to know all the aliases without reading the book first? lol
The ext folder is just a storage folder for the alias and chapter files, which are only for the builder, not the Kindle. The only file that goes to the kindle is the .asc file that gets saved into the out folder, and that one goes in your book's .sdr folder on the Kindle.

Getting the X-Ray file built for a book you haven't heard yet is the big dilemma here
In some cases you can just guess at what they might be. I open the .rawml file and search for things without actually reading to see what might match.

The biggest issue arises when a Shelfari page doesn't have any info for a book, in which case you pretty much have to read the book and edit Shelfari to get a X-Ray built.
It would be nice if it were easier to build x-rays for a specific book and then make a site to download them from, but I can't see that being possible at all, because almost everyone's copy of a certain book is going to be slightly different...
Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #179
gers1978
Addict

Thanks, but I'm struggling with this alias thing - I ran the builder and got a message after Shelfari download saying "Do you want to continue with these terms (cancel you want to add aliases) (y/n)", so I pressed N, then the builder quit.

I went into the aliases file and edited it and then ran the builder again, but the resulting Xray file doesn't seem any different from the one I tried before that I DIDN'T edit aliases for...
Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #180
gers1978
Addict

Ok, I think I've got it, I was using pipes | to separate aliases, not commas. Working now.

What would happen if I had 2 characters with the same alias? For example, the book I'm reading has an Amanda Rutledge and a Jack Rutledge. What if I used "Rutledge" as an alias for both? What if I used it for only 1 character but not the other?

Also, I seem to get a rawml file whether I include the -r switch or not.

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, kindle tools, x-ray