Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
"Kno" the new device!

Anyone ever heard about KNO? I am just fascinated; but it is expensive like iPad. Why not take an iPad instead? I read it here:
kno.com

Any comments? Comparisons? Plz post. (IMO, it seems so stupid to create a new device just because they designed the "software" to be student/reader-oriented.)

Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Have to love the possible marketing campaign, "just say Kno!"
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Interesting. Clearly aimed at the student market. The ebooks available in their store are pretty well all textbooks, and in addition to buying them, you can also rent an ebook for a fixed period (e.g. 180 days), so if you only need a textbook for one term, you can just rent it for that period.

Currently shipping inside the US only. Got Bluetooth and WiFi but not 3G. Ubuntu OS. Single tablet $599, dual tablet $899. With the dual tablet, it looks like you can have your ebook open on one screen, and take notes on the other screen, which I can see would be really useful for students.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I was looking for a something to use more as a device at work - preparing for meetings, minute taking, recording, planning/compiling etc...

I was looking at the Entourage Edge but was put off by the weight, and then there was the Pocket Edge where I worried about not enough screen real estate for the kinds of things I was thinking of doing - eg. good pdf/doc/xls display appreciated.

And then I remembered that I was waiting for the Pocket Edge because I was thinking of using it for my personal reading as well as work use. Now I have a Kindle 3 and I'm fairly happy with its "single-mindedness". I don't know if I need such a powerful device for my own reading.

So then I look at this device and think that it could be really cool as for my use I probably don't need one side to be e-Ink.

But I'm sure it will be a "sometime in the future" kind of problem because like the Entourage Edge the thing probably won't sell to Australia anyway.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I'm going back to school in January and this is exactly what I've been hoping for. I thought about an ipad, but wasn't sure if it would be perfect for the learning experience. I'm very curious about writing on the Kno. The pen takes a AAAA battery, so I'm wondering if there is some sort of resistance that simulates writing on paper with a pencil as opposed to that slippery feel that you get with a stylus on glass.

In any case, my beau ordered one as my Xmas present, but now I see that you need an invite to order one because of low inventory. I thought I was in the clear, but he got a message earlier from Kno asking him to call them back. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's just to give him a tracking number.

Last edited by SolRaven; 12-23-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: The Kno takes a AAAA not a AAA battery.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by patilsaurabhr View Post
Anyone ever heard about KNO? I am just fascinated; but it is expensive like iPad. Why not take an iPad instead? I read it here:
kno.com

Any comments? Comparisons? Plz post. (IMO, it seems so stupid to create a new device just because they designed the "software" to be student/reader-oriented.)

Stupid?
Open ten items on your iPad and be able to compare any two of them at the same time while doing calculations and taking notes.
As far as I am concerned this is the minimum for a real student/ business platform.
My minimum standard for computer monitor(s) since 1978 has been four full sized pages open at the same time. My two 19 inch monitors come close but the near future holds my final solution.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromHC View Post
Stupid?
Open ten items on your iPad and be able to compare any two of them at the same time while doing calculations and taking notes.
As far as I am concerned this is the minimum for a real student/ business platform.
I'm getting the single tablet and hope that it's enough real estate to do the job. I worried that the double tablet would seem to cumbersome and I would only be able to use it will sitting at a desk. We shall see.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I'm getting the single tablet and hope that it's enough real estate to do the job. I worried that the double tablet would seem to cumbersome and I would only be able to use it will sitting at a desk. We shall see.
So, I guess your order went through okay? I hope you post your thoughts after you play with it on Christmas.

I think this is one of the coolest things I have ever seen for a student. I would love to have an excuse to buy one. Maybe next year when my youngest goes to college.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:52 AM   #9
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
So, I guess your order went through okay? I hope you post your thoughts after you play with it on Christmas.

I think this is one of the coolest things I have ever seen for a student. I would love to have an excuse to buy one. Maybe next year when my youngest goes to college.
Unfortunately, I won't have it by Christmas. They called to say that my Kno would be in the next shipment, which ships the day before my bday, and should arrive the day after. So now it'll be a bday present. LOL....

However, I may have to rent textbooks since it will be arriving a week after school starts. Kno said that they would reimburse me for any rentals that I needed. It's a pain, but I'm hoping it's worth it.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:22 AM   #10
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Kno said that they would reimburse me for any rentals that I needed.
That's very nice!
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
HealyHQ
Friend of a Friend
HealyHQ is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad
This device just seems...rather expensive to me. I would be interested though, if the price was right.
HealyHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
@SolRaven

I would be interested in a review, once in hand.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
@SolRaven

I would be interested in a review, once in hand.
I'll keep you posted.