Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
Kindle 3 limitations?

I have spent weekend of conversion of my pdb collections (around 7000 books) using calibre (bloody slow process in such a case). (around 2 GB of data)

And after move to my kindle drive I used kindle collection manager to create around 800 collections from folders per author. (great tool, shame there is missing ONE button to create all collections from allfolders )

And after restart it actually took very long time to "load it" to screen. And actually at 5777 it stopped working.

So I uploaded only first half - around 4000 titles / 400 folders. And now it has finished OK.

So I'm just curious if the system is limited not only by the space, but also by same "cache" - number of files.

Does anybody observe the same situation?
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
What I have found it that if you move more than a hundred or so books on the the kindle at a time it will get very slow. So I have a netbook and I organize my books by using calibre and I only move to my kindle the books that I know I need at anyone time.
That way my kindle works at a very good speed. And seeing that my netbook is always with me if I travel or even at work I can add and remove books as I need to.
I have found it is not great to have a lot of books at anyone time on my kindle.
I am normally reading about 6 books at any one time so I have them and what I plan to read next. And I do have a few tech reference books that are always with me.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm posting here the same basic response I gave to a very similar question/complaint posed about the sony PRS-650.

Well you are pushing it to the outer limits of what it can do. These readers don't have a fast Pentium style processor, so when you load a gillion books into hundreds of collections it is going to slow down and get overloaded at some point.

I understand the temptation and desire to place your entire library on a single device, but I really don't think the technology has quite got to that point yet when it comes to ebook readers. The indexing alone could cause a freeze. I personally think we are better off limiting the number of books to a few hundred at most. Think about it, even if you could consistently read an average of one book every two days it would take you over 38 years to read 7000 books!

These readers were designed for casual reading and not for use as a huge library of reference material. They simply do not have the processor speed nor the firmware to adequately handle that task.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
These readers were designed for casual reading and not for use as a huge library of reference material. They simply do not have the processor speed nor the firmware to adequately handle that task.
Really? Why does Amazon spec the K3 for 3,500 books?

And as far as not having the processing power or firmware to handle everything: My year old HTC smartphone has over 600 novels and at least 100 reference books that I read using MobiPocket, a ton of full-length movies, a couple of hundred MP3s, more than a hundred family pics, interactive medical software, my entire schedule (including 6 months past data), and on and on. It can multitask, and fyi can load new books into MobiPocket just a fast as Windows can transfer 'em over the USB port.

I think the real issue is that the software engineers who didn't realize there are lots of folks in the real world with lots and lots of books who might like to spend an afternoon loading up their full collections all at once. My K3 does a great job of reading books; it just falls down on some mundane tasks -- like adding collections.
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I'm nearly up to 600 books on my Kindle with no problems whatsoever. It's not slow at all and there are no glitches. It really feels as fast as when it was brand new and I just had a few books downloaded. The only difference I can see in speed is that inputting a search term and waiting for a result across your entire book library takes a little longer which is as I'd expect. Normal reading usage is the same in my opinion.

I initially loaded up about 500 books on the Kindle in one go while plugged in via USB and it took 5-6 hours for the whole lot to be indexed. While it was indexing all the books, I really just left it to get on with that task.

Now the bulk of my books are on the Kindle and are indexed it works like a dream. So I would recommend adding books in batches but being aware that the larger the batch, the more indexing required. But once that's out of the way, why shouldn't the Kindle work ok?
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
I have 1400 books on mine...no problems at all. I added them, let it index overnight into the next day, came home from work, and it works great.
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Since flash memory does not have fragmentation issues, you should be able to go pretty close to the edge of the cliff before you run into performance problems (but my advice would be to walk, don't run, to the edge). I've come close to running out of space on my K2 (audiobooks etc.) and did not have any particular issues.

On the other hand, there have been a couple of large PDFs that crashed my K3 even though I had plenty of space left.

Still, 4Gb is not what it used to be.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:04 PM   #8
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
My experience is the same as TheKindleWorm's.

I have around 900 books on my K3 and around 1,500 on my KDX. The initial indexing apart, I have no performance problems.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
For those of you who have lots of books on the K, you probably loaded them only a couple at a time or did it all at once and then allowed the K to "index" them.

The kindle is going to be a little slow after you load a TON of books on them at one time. Just allow it some time and it will be speedy again.
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You can check indexing progress from the Home screen by typing '.' and then Enter. It will say 'No Items' if indexing is done, otherwise it will report the number of items it has yet to index, and you can 'open' that to see details.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:07 AM   #11
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
Thank you for information.

I will check the indexing status.

By the way, is there a tool to create the indexing file through USB?

I believe the indexing is only a process of file creation with list of files (and tags adding in case there are any tags).

So there should not be a problem to use a power of PC for such a task.. (but may be I'm wrong)
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #12
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityWolf View Post
For those of you who have lots of books on the K, you probably loaded them only a couple at a time or did it all at once and then allowed the K to "index" them.

The kindle is going to be a little slow after you load a TON of books on them at one time. Just allow it some time and it will be speedy again.
Do it - more or less - in one go and then I let the Kindle get on with the indexing overnight. My K3 indexed quite a bit quicker than my KDX even allowing for less books on K3.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jozicka View Post
Thank you for information.

I will check the indexing status.

By the way, is there a tool to create the indexing file through USB?

I believe the indexing is only a process of file creation with list of files (and tags adding in case there are any tags).

So there should not be a problem to use a power of PC for such a task.. (but may be I'm wrong)
I'm pretty sure the "index" is a concordance of all the words in the file to make searching and look up faster. (You can't look up a word in a book that doesn't yet have an index.) This could certainly be done on another processor but I don't think Amazon has released the format.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #14
namebrandon
Connoisseur
namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Kindle WiFi
I loaded about 1,200 on my wife's WiFi (I have about 1,000 myself) and besides the initial indexing (you will see much increased battery drain during indexing), it works just fine.

Searches, understandably, are not something you would want to do frequently. A search for "bread" may literally take 5-6 minutes to complete.
namebrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
scott h
scott h began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmwrite View Post
Really? Why does Amazon spec the K3 for 3,500 books?

I believe it says that because it does have the storage capacity to store that many books. It doesn't say the it works at peak performance with 3500 books.

Kind of like a car company that says this car can go from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds. They are not suggesting that is how you drive to work every day, they are just letting you know that it's possible. The maximum. It's marketing.

I just bought a portable hard drive. On the box it say stores up to 250,000 songs. But doing the math, to store 250,000 songs, I'd have to rip the music at a lower bit rate than I'd like, so there is no way i'm ever going to get 250,000 songs on there...not that I have 250,000 songs. But they are absolutely correct. It's POSSIBLE
scott h is offline   Reply With Quote