Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #16
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperTrail View Post
I do have the KindlePID utility installed and know how to use it, I've just not yet had a reason to

Our city's library is a Cuyahoga County Public Library branch, and I'm a member of this library.

Hopefully I can get a Cleveland Public Library card, I don't know how they base their memberships.
My son-in-law and family live in Cuyahoga Falls!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #17
CopperTrail
Enthusiast
CopperTrail is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Axim X3i
That's the think, none of those branches are in my city. I don't see anything on their site about membership, I'm going to call tomorrow to find out what I need to do. Thanks for all your help
CopperTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #18
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
I do have the KindlePID utility installed and know how to use it, I've just not yet had a reason to

Our city's library is a Cuyahoga County Public Library branch, and I'm a member of this library.

Hopefully I can get a Cleveland Public Library card, I don't know how they base their memberships.
If your card looks like the one on the Cuyahoga County Public Library "sign in" section, it's a CLEVNET card.

And even more luck for you - Cuyahoga County Public Library has its own ebook site, too. So you can check both of them for books you want to read!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #19
CopperTrail
Enthusiast

Sure enough, on the back of the card, it says it can be used at all Cuyahoga, Cleveland, and CLEVNET libraries, looks like I'm in
Old 01-19-2009, 11:59 PM   #20
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
CLEVNET has 5169 MOBI ebooks (readable on the Kindle via KindleFIX), 9803 PDF ebooks, and 143 ePub ebooks. Note that many of the titles are available in multiple formats.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #21
CopperTrail
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
CLEVNET has 5169 MOBI ebooks (readable on the Kindle via KindleFIX), 9803 PDF ebooks, and 143 ePub ebooks. Note that many of the titles are available in multiple formats.
Tried to access the 3rd party eBook site of the Cuyahoga Library, a little digging told me I have to stop in at my branch and get a PIN.

I'm stopping in this evening and will also inquire about a PIN for the CLEVENET site.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #22
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Hmmm....I don't use a PIN on either site. I'm at work, so can't tell you what I do see, but I know I just enter my CLEVNET library card number. (A library card I picked up in a little branch library in Avon, Ohio - so it's not like it's a handy-dandy-super-special one from Cleveland itself).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #23
CopperTrail
Enthusiast

Clevnet access

Hi Fizzy -

Stopped by my local branch this evening and set up a user account for the Cuyahoga Library eBook site, now I can log in from home.

Went to Clevnet eBook site while I was there. You're right, no PIN. It asks for your library card # and it told me mine was invalid (even though the back of my Cuyahoga card says it works at all CPL and Clevnet libraries). I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:23 PM   #24
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
80% or which are romances.... well not really, but they're really heavily stocked in that genre.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #25
CopperTrail
Enthusiast

Just logged into the netlibrary site and really didn't find anything. Typed in a couple of popular authors, nothing. Mostly "Build your resume . . ." and "How to succeed . . ." type books.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #26
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just logged into the netlibrary site and really didn't find anything. Typed in a couple of popular authors, nothing. Mostly "Build your resume . . ." and "How to succeed . . ." type books.
If you like Agatha Christie, they have a ton of those..hard to find in mobipocket format in libraries.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #27
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
80% or which are romances.... well not really, but they're really heavily stocked in that genre.
Did you find any technical or computer related ebooks?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #28
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Did you find any technical or computer related ebooks?

Anyone can go there and search their catalog......

http://www.cpl.org/index.php?q=node/90
Old 01-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #29
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Anyone can go there and search their catalog......

http://www.cpl.org/index.php?q=node/90
I just checked and didn't find any eBook titles for Java. Just paper books available
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #30
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Its really difficult reading this thread being a Kindle owner who lives in the Cleveland area

I knew going into it that it supported only the Kindle proprietary eBook format, so I can't complain or gripe.

Hopefully they'll re-think things and add the e-Pub format, but I highly doubt it. Why would they, they want Kindle owners to buy all their eBooks from them!

I may have to start combing these forums and choose another eReader; I can always sell the Kindle.
For library audiobooks (mostly served by OverDrive Media), it took the Zune and iPod about two years before they started supporting these free audiobooks, despite selling audiobooks themselves at the Zune Marketplace and iTunes Store.

I doubt this was done unilaterally in OverDrive Media's app, converting to Zune or iPod supported format (protected WMA or AAC)--I'm not even sure that would be possible, cracking the manufacturers' DRM. I believe the iPod and Zune firmware must have been changed to support OverDrive Media audiobooks. Probably Microsoft and Apple succumbed because they needed to keep people from abandoning them (like you're threatening to do with the Kindle).

Keep the faith. Maybe Amazon will capitulate fairly soon, based on Microsoft's and Apple's experiences with library audiobooks.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote