Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #421
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
... Apple's over-litigious behavior."
Holy c..p, we agree on something.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #422
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
They are sitting running all the time, a badly written one could chew up quite a bit of battery life. Compare that to the very controlled task switching that iOS has currently.
Totally false. Widgets do not "run all the time", have you used an Android device? Either you haven't, or you don't know what you're talking about. There might be a rogue widget out there that is poorly coded and has an impact in battery, but that is not a widget problem, is an application specific problem. Widgets are extremely useful and have no significant impact whatsoever on battery life, if coded properly. You can always tell on Android by inspecting the battery stats.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #423
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There might be a rogue widget out there that is poorly coded and has an impact in battery
Quote:
a badly written one could chew up quite a bit of battery life
They sound quite similar.
I didn't say all widgets would do that, but they open up a possibility that at the moment simply doesn't exist on iOS.
I'm not saying widgets are bad, or that they are not useful, or that the possibility of a poorly coded one outweighs the benefits that they add.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #424
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Widgets are extremely useful and have no significant impact whatsoever on battery life, if coded properly. You can always tell on Android by inspecting the battery stats.
Yup, this certainly seems to be true in my experience.

I avoided widgets when I first started out with Android, but then have slowly installed the ones that I found useful. My tablet now has a clock/weather display, the Napster music player, a twitter feed (Plume), a sound toggle button, email and gmail feeds, a calendar widget and my task display. None of these ever feature as a concerning drain in the battery stats, they're way down the list if I see them at all.

But having them active has transformed my use of the tablet. I've got them across two home screens and it doesn't feel cluttered. My home screen, which has a fair bit of empty space, is for 'play', while I swipe left to get an instant update on 'work'.

Graham
Old 11-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #425
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
They sound quite similar.
I didn't say all widgets would do that, but they open up a possibility that at the moment simply doesn't exist on iOS.
I'm not saying widgets are bad, or that they are not useful, or that the possibility of a poorly coded one outweighs the benefits that they add.
You mentioned that widgets run all the time, which is simply false; they stay dormant most of the time.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #426
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Totally false. Widgets do not "run all the time", have you used an Android device? Either you haven't, or you don't know what you're talking about. There might be a rogue widget out there that is poorly coded and has an impact in battery, but that is not a widget problem, is an application specific problem. Widgets are extremely useful and have no significant impact whatsoever on battery life, if coded properly. You can always tell on Android by inspecting the battery stats.
Well yeah, that, but the main thing is you don't have to use them if you don't want to.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #427
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
I agree with those who say such basic design shouldn't be patentable. It's ludicrous.

Meanwhile, this is what happens to "sheeple" ...

Wake up people!
I love one of the comments to the article

Quote:
Upon opening box she exclaimed, "WOW, iStupid."
Old 11-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #428
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Clarify something for me. Since according to your device list you have an ipod, and since according to you there is no distinction between fans and regular consumers, and since you call apple fans "sheeple" do you call yourself "sheeple"?
All fans are consumers but not all consumers are fans. Meanwhile, all "sheeple" are Apple fans but not all Apple fans are "sheeple." Does that answer your question?

--Pat
Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #429
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

iConcur
Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #430
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
All fans are consumers but not all consumers are fans. Meanwhile, all "sheeple" are Apple fans but not all Apple fans are "sheeple." Does that answer your question?
So now you say that there are consumers that aren't fans.

In case you forgot, this is what you said before:
Quote:
I should add that I think your making a distinction between "fans" and regular consumers is an artificial and false one.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #431
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
So now you say that there are consumers that aren't fans.

In case you forgot, this is what you said before:
Yes, the specific distinction you were making in your reply I felt was artificial and false/irrelevant in the context of my statement and the discussion. Now tell me, what exactly in my earlier statement do you find in contradiction to what I later said?

--Pat
Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #432
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Quote:
Upon opening box she exclaimed, "WOW, iStupid."
That is cute. Like "mybad" but a real zinger in mobileread context.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #433
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Anyone else read Apples just been granted a patent for turning pages in ebooks.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #434
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Holy c..p, we agree on something.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #435
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Anyone else read Apples just been granted a patent for turning pages in ebooks.
Another completely ridiculous patent issued. Did someone mention a system out of control...

P.S. or perhaps "Completely Controlled" ...hmmm...

Last edited by kennyc; 11-14-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Closed Thread