Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #391
SharonK
Enthusiast
SharonK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Thanks so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efindel View Post
There's no reason why it should interfere, but... why not try it and see? It'd only take a few minutes to copy an MP3 to the KT and see if it plays.
I obviously wasn't thinking. Tried it and it worked fine.
SharonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #392
dent.nic
dent.nic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
3G tethering?

I was wondering if I could set up USBnetwork to tether my Kindle 3g to my mac, so I could browse the free 3g easier. I know this sounds a little evil of me, but I purchase frequently from Amazon and have Prime membership. I doubt they'd be losing money with me
I've been researching this for a couple weeks now, and I still haven't seen any updates or new mods that would allow such a functionality, so I was wondering if any of you would know how to do this?

-nick
dent.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #393
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Providing "how to" information on using the amazon 3G service on non-kindles (tethering, or swapping modems) is not allowed at mobileread. Site moderators will intervene if too much detail (or offsite links) is provided in a forum posting.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #394
dent.nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Providing "how to" information on using the amazon 3G service on non-kindles (tethering, or swapping modems) is not allowed at mobileread. Site moderators will intervene if too much detail (or offsite links) is provided in a forum posting.
Sorry, I saw your other warning. I went ahead and asked because I'm simply out of ideas.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #395
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimering View Post
I know this sounds terribly evil, but just in case we can only browse the web using wifi on Touch 3G, is it possible to bypass the restriction with a hack? Or is the restriction engineered to the hardware?
So if you think it sounds terribly evil, why are you trying to recruit accomplices here?

So, are you asking how to access websites over 3G that amazon does not let you access over 3G on your Touch?

Yifanlu stated in another thread that he found just such a 3G restriction bypass loophole and notified amazon. There is a new version of Touch firmware out now, so hopefully that has been fixed.

Are you aware that kindles get free wifi at AT&T hotspots, such as McDonald's restaurants and some book stores and coffee shops?

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-17-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #396
geekmaster

The new kindles have basic security flaws that were fixed long ago on other devices.

One exploit already published here allows native code execution from inside HTML, used by the yinfalu's MP3 jailbreak. This has been fixed in the latest kindle touch firmware update.

Another exploit is the tar root path bug published here, used by ixtar's data.tar.gz jailbreak. This method inspired me to search for and find another related exploit that may survive a firmware update that breaks ixtar's method, and which works on both the kindle touch and the k4nt.

I decided to try something I previously used in 2005 to inject and execute code in WRT54G routers with no firmware modifications, and this exploit works on both the kindle touch and the k4nt. My "new" method does not require any assistance from a host PC after the exploit package is put onto the kindle USB drive. It does not use data.tar.gz. It does not use MP3 files. It does not require any typing at an onscreen keyboard. It uses "something else".

My new jailbreak is not much more complicated to activate than the MP3 method. It requires a reboot followed by a 3-level deep menu selection.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-20-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #397
aldum
aldum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch/Keyboard 3G (undeciced))
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Yifanlu stated in another thread that he found just such a 3G restriction bypass loophole and notified amazon. There is a new version of Touch firmware out now, so hopefully that has been fixed.

Are you aware that kindles get free wifi at AT&T hotspots, such as McDonald's restaurants and some book stores and coffee shops?
Some of us aren't that lucky, to live in vicinity of abundant wi-fi access. Like if you're not living in the States, just a nameless eastern-european country.

Also, not so much point buying 3G for only Amazon cloud access. I think removing that limit is only using your hardware to it's fullest. That's what jailbreaking and homebrew is about, or am I wrong?

(Oh yeah, and I'm not planning on tethering it, or downloading vast amounts of data, I just want read my email and some blogs on the go, if I bought something already)

Last edited by aldum; 01-20-2012 at 07:37 PM.
aldum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #398
dent.nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldum View Post
Some of us aren't that lucky, to live in vicinity of abundant wi-fi access. Like if you're not living in the States, just a nameless eastern-european country.

Also, not so much point buying 3G for only Amazon cloud access. I think removing that limit is only using your hardware to it's fullest. That's what jailbreaking and homebrew is about, or am I wrong?

(Oh yeah, and I'm not planning on tethering it, or downloading vast amounts of data, I just want read my email and some blogs on the go, if I bought something already)
Exactly my feelings man.. except I actually would like a tether
Old 02-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #399
igich
igich began at the beginning.

Device: KT
KT 5.0.3 mobi landscape read problem

KT I have version 5.0.1 jailbreaked (kt-jailbreak-503) and installed KindleLouncher-1.0.1, usbnet-1.1. After the software update from version 5.0.1 to 5.0.3 I get a problem when opening of mobi format in ladnscape mode. The page is shifted to the left and the last syllable from the end of the sentence does not read. Fortunately I had kept /opt/amazon/ebook/lib directory from version 5.0.1 and I replaced MobiReader-impl.jar and everything works well.
igich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #400
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by igich View Post
KT I have version 5.0.1 jailbreaked (kt-jailbreak-503) and installed KindleLouncher-1.0.1, usbnet-1.1. After the software update from version 5.0.1 to 5.0.3 I get a problem when opening of mobi format in ladnscape mode. The page is shifted to the left and the last syllable from the end of the sentence does not read. Fortunately I had kept /opt/amazon/ebook/lib directory from version 5.0.1 and I replaced MobiReader-impl.jar and everything works well.
@igich

Could you upload your 5.0.1 MobiReader-impl.jar here. I'd like to see if it works on my KT. thanks.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #401
igich

http://igich.free.bg/MobiReader-impl.jar
Please write if You have any problems to download.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #402
igich

MobiReader-impl.jar.zip

MobiReader-impl.jar.zip
Attached Files
File Type: zip MobiReader-impl.jar.zip (145.8 KB, 430 views)

Last edited by igich; 02-01-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #403
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

@igich

thanks, it works. the only glitch is when i open a new book and use the auto-rotate by rastik, the first rotation is quite slow (about 4-5 sec), but subsequent rotations are as fast as before i changed the MobiReader-impl.jar.

but, if i use the GUI launcher to manually rotate the screen, there is no delay in the first rotation.

[update] i've upgraded to YiFan's launcher 1.0.1 and the lag in rotation in the auto-rotation mode disappeared.

Last edited by yiming; 02-02-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #404
yosoyeleze
yosoyeleze began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igich View Post
MobiReader-impl.jar.zip
Igich:

Hello

how and where should I place the file you attached? Could you explain a little more in detail? thank you very much
yosoyeleze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #405
yiming
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyeleze View Post
Igich:

Hello

how and where should I place the file you attached? Could you explain a little more in detail? thank you very much
you can use seaniko7's installer to do it. it will install the files automatically and the backup MobiReader-impl.jar is in the uninstaller. the only thing you need to do is to make sure your KT has already been jailbroken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Automatic rotate hack installer with MobiReader-impl.jar from 5.0.1 :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16679763/KTRotate_0.2.zip