Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
How do (did) you cope with your "good job" that is super boring?

I have what many would consider a good job. I make enough that my wife doesn't have to work (though she does) and when she finishes her residency, she will make at least twice as much as I do. Even now, we are easily able to pay the mortgage and two car payments.

I have one of these desk jobs in which I stare at a computer screen all day. The work is about 70% procedural and 30% technical. Even the technical part gets boring after a while. I have been doing it for 5 years now. For 8 years before that, I was a technician (instead of an engineer) and I much prefer that work. Walking around and physically DOING things.

My wife is a career woman. We want to start having kids in the next few years. (we're 33 years old now) She absolutely doesn't want to stay at home with the kids. I'm so tired of my job that I think I'd rather change diapers, clean house, and do that sort of thing all day, but I don't think that feeling would last.

The job I fantasize about is doing something in which I get to walk around in the wilderness all day. Hot or cold, dangerous or not, I don't care. I feel like I need to be DOING something, physically.

I think I need to stay here a few more years, just to be responsible. After that, I don't know. Maybe go back to being a technician and take the 50% pay cut.

What are your thoughts? Have you been through this before?

Looking back on this post, I realize that my problems are trivial and thatI should be happy with my life. Others are struggling for basic things that I take for granted. Yet I can't help but think that the struggling people may be happier in a lot of ways.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
How about being a househusband when the kids com along? It certainly doing something - absolutely knackering - only problem is, certainly when I did it, there were no other househusbands around and several hours a day of 0-5 year old conversation can turn your brain to mush. But, of course, I didn't have Mobileread to keep me stimulated in those days!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
From your description, it sounds like the perfect job for you is.......

Lumberjack!

MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I've spent most of my professional career as a tech as well and occasionally been planted at a desk so I understand your frustration. in the last job my Kindle was the only thing that came close to saving my sanity.

anyway.... to answer your question... is it possible to go back and get a degree in forestry and work for the forest service? civil engineering and spend your time out surveying. some kind of a teaching certificate and go to work for one of these outfits that take troubled kids on packing trips.

then there is always mucking out stables, herding goats... yeah I know quit being silly....
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Herding goats actually sounds GREAT! Outdoors, walking all the time, I could wear a robe, carry a staff and pretend I'm a mage...

But there's not much market for that around here. Ditto for forestry, and my wife doesn't want to move away from Chicago, though I'm working on her. (it is a shame) Forestry would be GREAT if there were anything more than tiny state parks here.

Lumberjack would be fun, though I would feel guilty about cutting down trees. The mounties in the background... that would be fun. I have to wonder why they use horses and not ATVs or dirtbikes though...
Old 09-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
Herding goats actually sounds GREAT! Outdoors, walking all the time, I could wear a robe, carry a staff and pretend I'm a mage...

But there's not much market for that around here. Ditto for forestry, and my wife doesn't want to move away from Chicago, though I'm working on her. (it is a shame) Forestry would be GREAT if there were anything more than tiny state parks here.

Lumberjack would be fun, though I would feel guilty about cutting down trees. The mounties in the background... that would be fun. I have to wonder why they use horses and not ATVs or dirtbikes though...
actuallly there is a HUGE movement here in the Northwest to return to horse logging and that is why I got my first Draft Horses. I was really interested in doing that (my partner flaked out on me). Horse logging makes it easy to get very specific trees whether they be identified for size, disease, whatever.... heavy equipment is not brought in knocking down everything in the way. the horses can skid the logs out to a road, or sometimes if it is REALLY remote choppers will come pick up loads.

bbut then again, kind of outside of Chicago
Old 09-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
If work was fun they wouldnt have to pay us to do it.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
JeremyZ
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
If work was fun they wouldnt have to pay us to do it.
That's the idea! So it stands to reason, that if it is more fun, it pays less, right? There are gray areas. Horribly not fun = high pay. Horribly fun = volunteer. Middle fun = middle pay. I'd settle for something in the middle.

How much fun is your job, happy_terd, compared to your pay?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
That's the idea! So it stands to reason, that if it is more fun, it pays less, right? There are gray areas. Horribly not fun = high pay. Horribly fun = volunteer. Middle fun = middle pay. I'd settle for something in the middle.

How much fun is your job, happy_terd, compared to your pay?
he doesn't count. he's quite abnormal
Old 09-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
durkinrobinson
Lovechild
durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
How do I cope with my good but boring job? I go online every once in a while and stir up some trouble. Couldn't do that in the wilderness.
durkinrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I have the opposite problem. I would love my job...if I could just SIT DOWN to do it! I like the people I work with, and most of the time, I like my customers. But employers in retail seem to believe that if you are not standing and moving, you're not doing anything, and understandably, they don't like to pay you for not doing anything! That's part of why I'm in a Bachelor's degree program for Human Resources Management. Still people, probably still even a retail environment, but I can do it off my feet, behind a desk!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote