Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Brandon202000
Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: SONY
Smile Sony Firmware Upgrade Experience - A+

1. Turnaround time for the upgrade: My unit was returned on the 7th day after being shipped for upgrade. It may be that the "two-week" period stated by Sony is a worst-case estimate. The quick return was certainly expedited by Sony paying for over-night air shipment via UPS both to AND from the upgrade facility.

2. Memory card: I was worried about having left my memory card in the reader. In fact, Sony removed the memory card and returned it inside a little baggie and that inside another plastic bag closed with an adhesive tie AND this double bagging identified with a barcode label.

3. One note of caution: The retuned unit was not reattached to the Sony cover, so it's important to be cautious when first handling your unit in order to avoid dropping it.

4. Recommendation: Sony's directions for shipping ask that your ID number be written on the outside of the box used to ship the unit. Since barcodes are used extensively during the upgrade process (my unit had three stickered on), I suspect doing so avoids any delay in getting the unit into the upgrade process.

Overall: Kudos to Sony not only for throwing a lifeline to EPUB for PRS-500 users, but also for the quality of the upgrade process!
Brandon202000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon202000 View Post
1. Turnaround time for the upgrade: My unit was returned on the 7th day after being shipped for upgrade. It may be that the "two-week" period stated by Sony is a worst-case estimate. The quick return was certainly expedited by Sony paying for over-night air shipment via UPS both to AND from the upgrade facility.

2. Memory card: I was worried about having left my memory card in the reader. In fact, Sony removed the memory card and returned it inside a little baggie and that inside another plastic bag closed with an adhesive tie AND this double bagging identified with a barcode label.

3. One note of caution: The retuned unit was not reattached to the Sony cover, so it's important to be cautious when first handling your unit in order to avoid dropping it.

4. Recommendation: Sony's directions for shipping ask that your ID number be written on the outside of the box used to ship the unit. Since barcodes are used extensively during the upgrade process (my unit had three stickered on), I suspect doing so avoids any delay in getting the unit into the upgrade process.

Overall: Kudos to Sony not only for throwing a lifeline to EPUB for PRS-500 users, but also for the quality of the upgrade process!
Hmmmmm. They never told me about an ID number for the outside of the box..
I remembered to keep hold of my memory stick Gunna add more books to it in meanwhile..
Yes indeed, goodonya Sony, you're legends!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Took a week to get back the 500. Well done Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
Good ... except that Calibre no longer recognizes the 500 reader. I haven't tried reinstalling the Sony library software yet to see if it is usable with the upgrade.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneS View Post
Good ... except that Calibre no longer recognizes the 500 reader. I haven't tried reinstalling the Sony library software yet to see if it is usable with the upgrade.
That's very interesting...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneS View Post
Our tame resident programmer (Kovid) is on the case.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Our tame resident programmer (Kovid) is on the case.

I'll bet he is......

This might be another clue as to why it had to go back to the mothership....
Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'll bet he is......

This might be another clue as to why it had to go back to the mothership....
Well, the PRS-500 drivers with calibre were pretty buggy here. Hopefully, now it is a USB mass storage device and supports EPUB, Kovid will make it work with calibre like it were a PRS-505.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Well, the PRS-500 drivers with calibre were pretty buggy here. Hopefully, now it is a USB mass storage device and supports EPUB, Kovid will make it work with calibre like it were a PRS-505.
So from these comments (here and in another thread) I'm taking it that the 500 did not previously show up as a storage device under the OS?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:38 AM   #10
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
So from these comments (here and in another thread) I'm taking it that the 500 did not previously show up as a storage device under the OS?
The PRS-500 did not previously act as a mass storage device, correct. Sony used x86 drivers that worked under XP and Vista 32 bit only. Calibre worked on more platforms (when it worked at all; it's drivers were reverse-engineered and weren't exactly perfect).
Old 11-29-2009, 05:44 AM   #11
kennyc

Oh, I see. Wow. I didn't realize the 500 was THAT different.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, I see. Wow. I didn't realize the 500 was THAT different.
The USB driver for the 500 also works on Windows 7 x86 (32-bit)
Old 12-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
vinniet
Connoisseur
vinniet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have to say I am SO happy with the upgrade. First I could not get Calibre driver to work with my PRS-500. Now with my updated PRS-500 no problem. Also I see all kinds of improvement, like page goto, breakdown by letter under title, etc.

It would be great if I got my clock back and joystick to change pages but I can wait for that. Right now just very happy.
vinniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #14
AprilHare
Wizard

My Reader is back now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The USB driver for the 500 also works on Windows 7 x86 (32-bit)
Didn't know that, interesting. No USB driver hangups anymore, woohoo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniet View Post
I have to say I am SO happy with the upgrade. First I could not get Calibre driver to work with my PRS-500. Now with my updated PRS-500 no problem. Also I see all kinds of improvement, like page goto, breakdown by letter under title, etc.

It would be great if I got my clock back and joystick to change pages but I can wait for that. Right now just very happy.
I'm happy with the improvements as-is, having never taken advantage of the hacks. - I love how I can type in the page number I want now and go straight to it!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

And just for people who don't yet know, the updated 500 no longer needs a USB driver. It mounts as a USB removable drive. So it will work with 64-bit operating systems.